BFG 7900 GTX Technician Tested Card

rodsfree

[H]ard|Gawd
Anybody else get a tested card from BFG.

It had a nice little note in it explaining why there were 2 seals on the antistatic bag.

This card is part of a new build and I just got Windows installed on it last night at midnight, so I haven't had a chance to play with it yet. :(

I hope that this means that I got a really good one.

What store did you buy this from? Also, what did the note say exactly?

rodsfree said:
Anybody else get a tested card from BFG.

It had a nice little note in it explaining why there were 2 seals on the antistatic bag.

This card is part of a new build and I just got Windows installed on it last night at midnight, so I haven't had a chance to play with it yet. :(

I hope that this means that I got a really good one.

This is the case with ALL BFG cards. They get the part directly ffrom nvidia and open it and test and then reseal it. It's not like they make the PCBS or anything...

Thats how it is with almost all of the first run high end cards. THe "card manufacturers" just slap a little sticker on them. Sometimes, they reflash them to a branded or overclocked BIOS too.

Thats why I KEEP SAYING OVER AND OVER AND OVER to people in those dumb "which videocard brand is best" threads to STFU b/c brand doesn't really matter. - It really just comes down to price & bundle. They should all be equally reliable as they are the same cards, same GPU's, same memory, same BIOS's, etc...

Later in the product life cycle the cards will be made by the different manufacturers, and come in different colors, sometimes different coolers, etc... but they're still basically the same card (reference design), same GPU, same memory, same BIOS.

Ockie said:
What store did you buy this from? Also, what did the note say exactly?

Got it from Newegg.

And the note said exactly that I might notice the double seal and it was because that card had been Technician Tested and for me to not be alarmed that the card was new and not refurbed or anything like that.

And J-Mag - This doesn't happen with ALL cards from BFG. My 6800GT OC didn't have one of these notes in it.

Anybody else have a BFG card that had this in it???

rodsfree said:
And J-Mag - This doesn't happen with ALL cards from BFG. My 6800GT OC didn't have one of these notes in it.

I should have stated all the BFG cards I have ever received (except I did get an RMA 6600gt that didn't, but I wasn't expecting RMA'd cards to have them).

my last four bfg cards i received were also tested. with the double anti static seal etc...

Obviously they dont test it very well, because one of the cards that was supposedly tested wouldnt run .. =P :p

Jasonx82 said:
Obviously they dont test it very well, because one of the cards that was supposedly tested wouldnt run .. =P :p

The test probably consisits of plugging in the card to a system, if it boots it's good to go!

At least it shows that BFG is testing the cards......

And if you're watching the other 7900 threads, apparently eVGA isn't.

This is starting to define YMMV :(

Both of my 7900GTXs had the note & resealed bags and they're not playing nice. :(

J-Mag said:
This is the case with ALL BFG cards. They get the part directly ffrom nvidia and open it and test and then reseal it. It's not like they make the PCBS or anything...
Actually, it's the contrary. They're one of the few companies that have blue PCB's most of the time, so at least the PCB must be custom. Unless, of course, you know something I don't know... ;)

If they are getting these in bulk, why would they each be sealed? I can see them unsealing them to stick their stickers on the heatsink shroud which is probably the case... explains why there are still some bad cards.

But couldn't they have just stuck it in a clean new baggie with a new seal? Thats like somone opening your Christmas present for you before you can even get to it :p

both of my new PNY cards came with an "inspected by" note with someone's initials on it.
its nothing special to BFG.

rodsfree said:
At least it shows that BFG is testing the cards......

And if you're watching the other 7900 threads, apparently eVGA isn't.

This is starting to define YMMV :(

I would suggest you type in google power supply load balance issue and sli

I suspect most who are having issues ,while having powerful power supplies have not read about the issue that afflects half the high end power supplies out there.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1932948,00.asp

I got a little love note in mine with xxxxx and oooooo on it. :D

Sorry, I just couldn't pass it up.

I did have a BFG 6800GT that had one.

1c3d0g said:
Actually, it's the contrary. They're one of the few companies that have blue PCB's most of the time, so at least the PCB must be custom. Unless, of course, you know something I don't know... ;)

I realize this now. How about we get 50 people to point this out?

rodsfree said:

ANYONE ELSE?

1c3d0g said:

Maybe on their second run of cards. The initial high end cards are usually all green, all reference PCB's with reference coolers, etc...

Like the BFG 6800's at first had the reference cooler, then later on they come with that crappy copper cooler.

chrisf6969 said:
Thats why I KEEP SAYING OVER AND OVER AND OVER to people in those dumb "which videocard brand is best" threads to STFU b/c brand doesn't really matter. - It really just comes down to price & bundle. They should all be equally reliable as they are the same cards, same GPU's, same memory, same BIOS's, etc...

This is mostly true, but I feel that Warranty and Customer Service are the 2 biggest things when it comes to choosing a card.

Prices are usually close enough together that it doesnt really make to much of a difference, I'd rather pay an extra 20 and buy a card from a Company I know has good Warranty and Service.

Anime_Fan said:
I feel that Warranty and Customer Service are the 2 biggest things when it comes to choosing a card.

Def the warranty. I found out that my nice new X1900XT's only covered for ONE year! My previous BFG's for life. And now EVGA says, "OC, we don't care." WTF?!

Anime_Fan said:
This is mostly true, but I feel that Warranty and Customer Service are the 2 biggest things when it comes to choosing a card.

Prices are usually close enough together that it doesnt really make to much of a difference, I'd rather pay an extra 20 and buy a card from a Company I know has good Warranty and Service.

I agree warranty is part of the equation.... Thats part of what I consider the "bundle" as its "what comes with the card" (maybe not physically with the card) but with the card none-the-less.

Though for me, warranty has really been a non issue, as I've had quite a few brands of videocards. None have failed.
Visiontek 32 Mb GeForce256 SDR
leadtek 32Mb GF2 GTS
Leadtek GF4 ti4600
eVGA FX5900nu
Asus 6200 agp <-- still have
PNY 6800nu <- still have
PNY 6800GT
eVGA 7800GT CO
PNY 7900GTX <-- just installed Monday

Anyway, the only problems I've had is fans becoming noisey and needing to be cleaned especially with Leadtek.

Back