BFG EX-1000 1000 Watt Power Supply

The ripple problem's been addressed in production units by using larger caps.

Go back one page in that same review and look at the cold tests. The temperature delta is much lower on every test. It's not as if the power supply runs hotter at hotter ambients. If it did, the efficiency numbers would be drastically different. It's because the PSU can't push all of the heat that's being pumped into it.

It's not as if the heat is not coming from any part of the PSU. Any heat that comes off of any PSU is from the power conversion itself. The "problem" in the tests actually come from the fan not pushing enough of the hot air that the PSU is sitting in out of the back of the unit. So this heat builds up inside the unit until only very hot air can be measured coming out of the back. Sure, this problem can be addressed with a faster fan, but the tests aren't realistic enough to justify ramping the fan up on this unit. Power supplies aren't typically the only exhaust in the system and constantly sucking in 40°C plus air. As it is, Andyson initially designed this unit to not spin a fan at all until internal ambient temperatures hit 50°C. I personally didn't like that idea, but do you think they would engineer a PSU that put out that much heat to run fanless until it hit the upper echelon of it's operating temperature?

Can you comment on the amazing results seen on the BFG EX-1200 in Tweaktown's testing? How does the EX-1200 differ from the EX-1000? Does it have beefier caps or something? Will the EX-1000 post as good results as the EX-1200 in its 'revised' edition?

BFG_1200_EX_023.jpg

If I were to pick a PSU today, would I be better served with the EX-1000 or the EX-1200? Anticipated load would be 3x Crossfire 5870 OC + PhysX card + i7 OC + 4-5 sata drives. Why isn't Best Buy selling the EX-1200???

Can you comment on the amazing results seen on the BFG EX-1200 in Tweaktown's testing? How does the EX-1200 differ from the EX-1000? Does it have beefier caps or something? Will the EX-1000 post as good results as the EX-1200 in its 'revised' edition?

Beefier caps? No. Larger transistors and diodes to support the higher output, yes. The EX-1200 launched before the EX-1000, so Tweaktown ended up with a regular production unit. The EX-1000's that went out for review were produced pre-production because the entire production order went to Best Buy and I wanted to see reviews up prior to launch. Also, Twektown uses 230V input. That's lower input current and better efficiency.

If I were to pick a PSU today, would I be better served with the EX-1000 or the EX-1200? Anticipated load would be 3x Crossfire 5870 OC + PhysX card + i7 OC + 4-5 sata drives.

Naturally, the EX-1200. Any time you can run a PSU further from it's maximum rating, it's going to run cooler, quieter and last longer.

Why isn't Best Buy selling the EX-1200???
Shelf space. The PSU section at Best Buy is only so big.

I'd recommend bfg. I got a 800watt top power going strong after a year and 4 months now :). They still got that lifetime warranty on psus?

Found a review from overclock3d on the BFG EX-1200 PSU where the exhaust temps also looked problematic as with the BFG EX-1000 in the HardOCP review. Exhaust temps in red: 71c, 78c, 72c. Efficiency dropped to 73% on cross load test 5? Ripple results also weren't as good either, jumping up to 92 mv. Was this unit also a pre-production model or was it revised edition?? Which PSU am I getting when I open the box?

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews.php?/power_supply/bfg_ex-1200_1200w_modular_psu/4

Last edited:
It's not unusual for a PSU that uses DC to DC for the non primary rails (+3.3V and +5V) to show lower efficiency on a wacky load like that because you're converting that power to +12V using the standard switchmode topology and then converting to +3.3V and +5V with DC to DC converters and at a very high load at that (and with none on the +12V alone to even average it out). So that's about as bad of efficiency you can squeeze out of a power supply and very unrealistic. If you look at the other crossload, it somewhat illustrates my point. Now there's less output being regulated by the DC to DC circuits and almost everything is going through the +12V conversion.

As for 92mV on the +12V: Not unusual considering it's a 74A load on the +12V rail and certainly within spec.

My psu crapped out and this is on sale at newegg for $109, is it worth it? I know that there is no warranty, and i'm okay with that, I don't plan on stressing it too much so I expect a couple years out of it...

Not worth it for $109. You can get good 750W PSUs for that price that include actual warranties. Hell, if you're talking about the system in your signature, you could easily get away with a good 500W PSU.

Ah, i need to update my sig... I currently have:
AMD Phenom II 965
Foxconn Destroyer
Palit GTX 570
MSI Geforce 9600GT
4 GB DDR2 800 OCZ Platinum
3 500GB HDD's
DVD burner/player/etc.

It sucks that you can't edit posts... the psu that crapped out was an 850W. Stupid Xion...

My psu crapped out and this is on sale at newegg

Well I'll be damned it IS for sale at Newegg. Where the heck did they find them?

Really funny one 'Egg review from someone who is not a verified owner:
saynotobfg said:
Pros: none

Cons: BFG Tech is out of business (no warranty)
Power supply internals are GARBAGE, may explode if pushed
Won't put out anywhere near 1000w
probably 1000 PEAK... and that is a stretch

Other Thoughts: Huntkey made?

I'll leave the "none" alone, but for the rest of it the only thing that is true is that BFG Tech is out of business.

Obviously the reviewer knows something about BFG PSUs because of the Huntkey comment, but even more glaring is the obvious FAIL of the rest of his esteemed knowledge. :rolleyes:

I ordered it and should be getting it soon, not a bad deal, and it's gotten decent reviews, and after following this thread, i'm sure it's not a lemon...

Xion is not really one of those "good" brands. I am running a similar system with a corsir 750TX & it has no problems running my pc. (I do have a spare BFG 1000w as a spare just in case, though.)

I bought this for $50 bucks refurbished from Geeks few month ago and it's still working well.

Xion is not really one of those "good" brands.
Xion is not a well-known brand, but they are a good brand when it comes to their higher-end products. They sell rebranded Superflower PSUs, which are generally very good quality units.

I bought this for $50 bucks refurbished from Geeks few month ago and it's still working well.

I jumped on that same deal. I've been using it in my Phenom II x6 system for the past month and a half. It's been great so far. You couldn't beat 60 bucks shipped.

I jumped on that same deal. I've been using it in my Phenom II x6 system for the past month and a half. It's been great so far. You couldn't beat 60 bucks shipped.

Same for me, no problems here :)

Last edited:
I have this power supply running my #1 system in my sig. No problems at all.

Been using it for about a week now and so far no problems, runs everything just fine!

Not sure if it was mentioned previously, but keep in mind that BFG is now defunct.

Back