BFG Factory OC'd 8800GTS is loud as @$%*

oneils

Limp Gawd
Edit - Update - looks like me dumb. Not BFG card making noise. AC hsf is. See further down.
Sorry.

How high is the rpm on the fan? you can check this with rivatuner. You can also check temps with rivatuner and if they arent too high, you can lower the fan rpm (also with rivatuner :))

Cool I'll check it out. I'll also try to check out whether or not its the other components.

I have two Antec Tri-Cool Fans, Seasonic M-12 600W psu, and a AC Freezer 7 pro in an Antec 180p.

Could the noise be coming from one of these components...? I just assumed it was coming from the video card as it is so huge. From what I can tell, that is where the noise is coming from.

Is there a way to control the rpm on the freezer 7 to see if that is the issue?

Cool I'll check it out. I'll also try to check out whether or not its the other components.

I have two Antec Tri-Cool Fans, Seasonic M-12 600W psu, and a AC Freezer 7 pro in an Antec 180p.

Could the noise be coming from one of these components...? I just assumed it was coming from the video card as it is so huge. From what I can tell, that is where the noise is coming from.

The rather primitive method I use is to stick a finger or something into the questionable fan on startup, so it doesn't spin. Easy for me (no danger of overheating in the <15 seconds it'll take for you to check noise).

Ok, well I doubt it's the 8800 then. Something else is making that noise. Because the 8800 is very quiet.

The rather primitive method I use is to stick a finger or something into the questionable fan on startup, so it doesn't spin. Easy for me (no danger of overheating in the <15 seconds it'll take for you to check noise).

:D I was just thinking of that movax. I was going to stick my finger in the cpu fan and then start up. I wasn't sure if it would be ok. But I'm guessnig that a few seconds won't hurt.

Ok, well I doubt it's the 8800 then. Something else is making that noise. Because the 8800 is very quiet.

:eek: My apologies to BFG! You were right SuperKeijo. It looks like its my AC Freezer 7 Pro making the racket.

I guess I didin't do my research. I kind of assumed that all AC hsf would be fairly quiet. I'm guessing this more of an "overclocker's" hsf then anything else. Anyone know of a replacement that does not require my having to take the motherboard out?

Maybe I'll try the OSZ vindicator...expensive though.

What motherboard? The fan is probably being run at 12v, where it doesn't need to be.

Asus Qfan runs mine at around 8v.

What motherboard? The fan is probably being run at 12v, where it doesn't need to be.

Asus Qfan runs mine at around 8v.

Hey Arcygenical, I enabled Q-Fan in the BIOS. I set CPU Fan to "Silent Mode." OMG what a difference. Thanks for the tip. Much quieter.

Only thing is that when I exited BIOS, a screen popped-up saying that Windows was shut down improperly and asked how I wanted to continue. I just selected "Start Windows Normally" meh...everything looks good though.

Wow, great little app.

I ran a thermal test with both cores at 100&#37; for about 12 minutes. Neither got over 59 degrees celcius. So I guess that's alright. They idle at around 39-41. A bit high, but I'm not too worried.

Thanks for the help Arcygenical.

I'll probably run a longer test to make sure everything stays under 65.

just thought Id chime in.
I grabed the BFG 8800GTS 320mb factory OCed and its so quiet, I keep checking to see if the fan is on.

just thought Id chime in.
I grabed the BFG 8800GTS 320mb factory OCed and its so quiet, I keep checking to see if the fan is on.

Yeah, I can't believe how quiet it is either. I really screwed the pooch there and blamed the noise on the video card. With the cpu hsf running on "Silent Mode" this system is really quiet.

Back