BFG fx5200 problems on amd system

Blast3r

Limp Gawd
Well I built a new system for christmas(see sig) and when I try to put my fx5200 in it will not boot, post, beep, nothing. It turns on but nothing is on the screen. Then I put my mx440 pci in and it works fine. I thought maybe it wasn't seeted properly. I seated it 10 times. So then I take my computer to my friends house and throw in his sis 315 agp and it boots. Im wondering if my board does not like 8x??? Any help is appreciated because I need it quick.

Well I went and changed the setting in the bios and now im waiting on my brother to be done on the other computer so I can pull the card. Why would it start up with another agp card when it was set to pci though?

my 5200 was being a pain, but it wasn't seated all the way, even though I seated it many times...push kinda hard on the back of the card, cuz that little hook lookin thing at the end wasn't going in all the way for me...

i was going through the exact same thing you are going threw with my friends computer....he has 2 systems one is amd other is intel. the amd in this case was older. my friend wanted to upgrade from a geforce4 mx440 (agp) to a geforceFX5200nu (agp) and after swapping cards the machine beeped and did not boot and nothing showed up on the screen. we put in back the mx card which is also agp and it worked fine...so we dicided to try putting the fx5200 on the intel machine and it worked!!! so we left it like that. i have no idea why this happend.

Originally posted by Mikey20
i was going through the exact same thing you are going threw with my friends computer....he has 2 systems one is amd other is intel. the amd in this case was older. my friend wanted to upgrade from a geforce4 mx440 (agp) to a geforceFX5200nu (agp) and after swapping cards the machine beeped and did not boot and nothing showed up on the screen. we put in back the mx card which is also agp and it worked fine...so we dicided to try putting the fx5200 on the intel machine and it worked!!! so we left it like that. i have no idea why this happend.
Exactly same here. It works in my p4 but not in my amd system. The fx is also a non ultra.

Very odd guys. All I can say is to try reseating a few times, I had that problem with my 5200NU that I had a few days and it worked.

Also, a GF4MX440 to a 5200NU upgrade is basically nothing. The 5200NU is basically a GF4MX440 with DX9 capability and AGP 8x, otherwise, basically the same speed. At work I always recommend customers getting at least a 5600/5700 Ultra for any gaming at all if they don't want ATI.

I just went through this with a 5200 and an older kt133 4x agp board. The card works fine in my old kt266 4x agp board but it just blank screens in the kt133 and beeps if it does anything. After reading around on Abit's forum, maker of my board, it looks like it was hit or miss as to weather an 8x agp card would work on this board or not. Some poeple had no problems, some people had to fiddle, and other just couldn't get it to work no matter what they did, I was one of those.

I used this as an excuse to upgrade my 1600xp/kt266 to a 2500xp/nforce :) and will slap the 1600xp/kt266 into the other box. Hopefully I can sell the old kt133 stuff and make up for some of the upgrade cost.

Well my mx is 64mb pci and my fx was 128mb agp 8x thats why I went with it. It gave me 2000 more in 3dmark 01 and right now unless I overclock my mx to 315/450 I get lag spikes in bf so I hoped I could get my fx working. I was thinking about buying a 9600 pro 128mb/256 or a 9600xt.

I checked the bios test reports and it says 2 fx's passed the test. I think they were different bios, is it possible to flash my fx bios to what passed the test?

Back