BFG RMA process, follow along!

Modred189

Can't Read the OP
I always wondered how these things go (my first RMA), so I thought I would document how an RMA goes. And it's through BFG, so we'll hope for the best...

I purchased a BFG GTX260 Maxcore OC from microcenter in December. I Love it. It has been completely headache-less compared to my last setup (2 4850's in CF).

Until this week. I suddenly started getting artifacting on the screen in the form of blue lines rather like static on dark screens and similar yellow lines on bright screens. First only in games, then on other windows like a web browser.
So I called BFg tech support (long wait on hold, ~20 minutes), and a very nice young lady answered and was great, though she jumped to the RMA solution rather quickly. In fact, she never asked about the card seating, case conditions or even the driver version. She asked what PSu I had (BFG GS-650), took it as enough, and said the card was either overheating or the video ram was dying. So she set up the RMA, adn we were done.

I got an email about 20minutes later giving me instructions on how to mail it, including to tell UPS it was part of the "BFG Corporate Account Program" and to give them the RMA number. I had to go to 4, FOUR, UPS stores before I found one that knew how to do it. The others knew what it meant but not how to do it. Nice, UPS. Nice.

The card arrived at BFg today, and I am awaiting the next round of information.

In the meantime, I am 'renting a GTS 250, for giggles, from Best Buy while my card gets replaced/fixed. It did show that the card was the problem, as the GTS250 runs perfectly.

Last edited:
Hope it all goes smoothly for you.

Just out of curiosity, since I'm thinking about upgrading from my GTS 250 to a GTX 260, how noticible is the hit in games other than Crysis?

i did my GF 6800 rma in 2006, it was a pleasant experience, their tech support was very friendly and rma process was silky smooth too. but back at that time no free shipping for shipping back the defective unit to bfg.

Hope it all goes smoothly for you.

Just out of curiosity, since I'm thinking about upgrading from my GTS 250 to a GTX 260, how noticible is the hit in games other than Crysis?

I have only played one game since getting the GTS250 (Chronicles of Riddik: Assault on Dark Athena) and have not noticed a huge difference, though it is not the most demanding game. I will run it through Crysis and see how it goes.

Using a 22", 1680X1050 lcd.

Cool. I was actually more interested in games other than Crysis since I don't plan on replaying it anytime soon, but any comparisons are welcome though. I know I can just check benchmarks based on the 9800GTX+, but the numbers don't always five a good idea of how smooth the gameplay is, or how large a difference you can see between 2 cards.

What I will do, when I have some free time over the next two weeks, I will run some benches, play some games, and do the same when the 260 gets back.
Will be interesting to see.

Not to steal you thread but I'll add my BFG RMA experience.

After a few quick email exchange with during the long Easter weekend I received an RMA number on Monday, April 13th. I honestly did not expect them to answer support related questions during holidays!

Since we can't use the UPS "BFG Corporate Account Program" in Canada, I sent my card using Canada Post on Tuesday, April 14th and it was received at their Kahnawake (Quebec, Canada) service centre on Wednesday, April 15th, at 8:34 AM. The RMA tracking page currently list the item at "Your RMA has not yet been received in the BFG Warehouse".

I'll update once things move along.

You pay for shipping to them, now, and put the RMA number in the box. Considering that Toaster got his shipped from Canada in a day, I bet it's some kind of expediting agreement or something.

I thought I would jump in here and give you guys some details on the RMA process. BFG has recently moved away from using UPS as our primary courier and are now using FedEx. That would most likely explain why some of the UPS locations were unaware of that program. We are working on getting something similar in place with FedEx, but that is still in the works.

The way the RMA process works today is when you submit your request for a replacement, we take down all of your customer information and shipping details, and that generates the RMA email. The emails are usually sent out within 24 hours, and will include all the RMA information as well as an address label (not prepaid) to tape to the box. That label consists of your customer information and RMA number. By doing this it really speeds up the process on the backend, allowing us to get the replacements back out within 24 hours (typically).

OP - If you want to send me your details via PM I can look into your RMA and try to speed this process along for you.

Let me know if you guys have any additional questions or concerns.

After a few quick email exchange with during the long Easter weekend I received an RMA number on Monday, April 13th. I honestly did not expect them to answer support related questions during holidays!

Support phone lines are also answered over the holidays. AFAIK BFG tech support never closes.

actually I do have a 2 questions. I have been working with bfg since like... the geforce 4 series of cards, so maybe 2002 or so. I noticed recently there is no longer any troubleshooting, it just immediately goes to rma, are you guys really getting swamped as of late? mainly just curious, back in the day it was actually one of your techs that taught me to use everest to check rail voltages in windows.

also how much do you guys stand by your lifetime warranty? i have a Ti4600 that had the fan go a few weeks ago, it was my folding machine, i still have the box and all the packaging ;) i miss the old asylum box art

PS since I only live a few states away I almost always just send stuff back usps, priority for cards and parcel for psu's

Last edited:
It shouldn' t be that way in most cases. There should always be some amount of troubleshooting done, unless it is a dead giveaway that it's a non functional card, like a dead fan for example. For that there isn't really much we can do about it but replace the card. There are also some other instances that call for a replacement right away.

In regards to your Ti4600, it is definitely still covered under our lifetime warranty and you will be able to get a replacement for it.

Typically we don't really care what courier you use to send the card back, but we always recommend that you pack the product in a way that it won't get damaged during transit, and you obtain some kind of tracking for it. BFG cannot be held responsible for the product until it arrives at our warehouse.

In my case there was troubleshooting done. They did ask me to check for proper drivers installation (graphic, chipset, etc.) and voltages (BIOS readings). Since everything looked fine, an RMA was issued.

Like @Zap said, BFG tech support never closes. (Looks like Jeff never sleep! :D )

actually I do have a 2 questions. I have been working with bfg since like... the geforce 4 series of cards, so maybe 2002 or so. I noticed recently there is no longer any troubleshooting, it just immediately goes to rma, are you guys really getting swamped as of late? mainly just curious, back in the day it was actually one of your techs that taught me to use everest to check rail voltages in windows.

also how much do you guys stand by your lifetime warranty? i have a Ti4600 that had the fan go a few weeks ago, it was my folding machine, i still have the box and all the packaging ;) i miss the old asylum box art

PS since I only live a few states away I almost always just send stuff back usps, priority for cards and parcel for psu's

BFG is very rock solid with customer service. I'm sure the OP will be taken care of.

i love my BFG cards, i just wish their step up prices werent so retarded, its cheaper for me to ebay my current card then get the better card from newegg.

Seems on BFG's Trade Up offer, their 285 OC2 and X cards are $25 & $30 more than Newegg's AR prices. The 295 is offered cheaper than what Newegg has it for, it it were in stock.

Can you get what you paid for your 260s on Ebay?

I'd also like to see their Trade Up prices cheaper, but they don't seem to be too out of whack.

What I will do, when I have some free time over the next two weeks, I will run some benches, play some games, and do the same when the 260 gets back.
Will be interesting to see.

If you have the time, that would be awesome. It's obviously not crucial information, but it would give me a great idea on whether or not it's worth doing the step-up in the next month or so. I really appreciate it.

Hmn I'll make one of these threads next week :D

EVGA Received my 8800GTX this morning, hoping for a good resolution.

BFG was great. Offered RMA on my artifacting 8800GT after I told him shadows were flickering green, and the PC was locking up. I shipped it out this past Monday, Priority via USPS. They had it in their warehouse 24 hours later. Then another 24 hours after that, a new one was on its way back. I got the card Thursday via Fed-Ex. Four day turn-around.

So for the OP, and anyone else doing the RMA process through BFG, it should be painless and fast. They really are that awesome.

THAT is fast. Mine is taking longer, but that does not bother me too much. The rep on the phone said (after I asked) that if it took 2 weeks, it would be a long time.

Well, my card was shipped back to me today, via fedex, so I hope to have it tomorrow. Yay!
I just wish the BFG support page told me more about the situation than that it was shipped. Like, did I get a new card, or was my old one repaired?

Pretty fast though. RMA created 4-14, arrived @BFG on the 15th. Shipped back to me the 20th, and should arrive here the 21st. 1 week turn around.

Good to know!

My card also arrived at BFG on the 15th (at their Canadian service point) and the RMA status page was updated only today so I guess it's somewhat unreliable.

And for your information they did send a brand new card for my first RMA. Hope it's the same way for you!

I just wish the BFG support page told me more about the situation than that it was shipped. Like, did I get a new card, or was my old one repaired?

I agree. I called them and the person on the phone was more than happy to tell me that I was getting a replacement card of the same make and model. However, she did not have details on the exact issue with my old card.

I agree. I called them and the person on the phone was more than happy to tell me that I was getting a replacement card of the same make and model. However, she did not have details on the exact issue with my old card.

I just called them, same with me. The guy was nice enough to look it up and I am getting a replacement card. Said he didn't know what the issue was with the old one, just that they did determine that the card was artifacting. Hooray!

Good to know!

My card also arrived at BFG on the 15th (at their Canadian service point) and the RMA status page was updated only today so I guess it's somewhat unreliable.

And for your information they did send a brand new card for my first RMA. Hope it's the same way for you!

My card arrived at BFG on the 14th and the status was updated on the 15th to received. They haven't sent the replacement out yet. Maybe this week.

I sent mine to QC Canada on the 8th, arrived at the 9th. Web update at the 15th. Just updated, RMA was processed in the BFG Warehouse on 2009-04-20 and has already shipped.
=)

Last edited:
I sent mine to QC Canada on the 8th, arrived at the 9th. Web update at the 15th. Just updated, RMA was processed in the BFG Warehouse on 2009-04-20 and has already shipped.
=)

Just checked again and mine has also been shipped. Should get it tomorrow.

Last edited:
Just checked again and mine has also been shipped. Should get it tomorrow.

Jeff said their system is down before, that's why it take so long to update and process.

btw, Do you have the tracking number yet?:confused:

I’ll probably contact them once the RMA is on its way, but so far it still as not shipped. I’ve go to much time on my hands since my main pc is out of service waiting for the replacement card. :D

Last edited:
=)

Out of curiosity, what was the issue with your card?

Out of curiosity, what was the issue with your card?

It's an old card 7950GTOC, it has blue screen... system freezed...must force to reboot :eek:, while watching video. Tired on other PC, same problem.
Use my 8600GTS on the same PC, no more blue screen.

Mine is just 'Tracking: Your tracking number is:' BLANK :(
Hope they'll post it later.

btw FusionXP, You in US or Canada?

Did you log into your account? You have to go into My Support and click status.

I'm in Canada.

Yep, I can see 3 green ticks and shipped time.
But my tracking number is just nothing. :rolleyes:

That's not the login page. You have to go into my Login at the top of the site and enter your username and password. Looks like you just typed in your RMA number under the support link. That is still using the UPS tracking and not the FexEx.

That's not the login page. You have to go into my Login at the top of the site and enter your username and password. Looks like you just typed in your RMA number under the support link. That is still using the UPS tracking and not the FexEx.

I did not register my card = no login name :(
May be just wait for a day see what happen tomorrow.

Thanks very much for your help FusionXP ;)

DSC02792.jpg

Nice packaging by BFG, quick shipping.
DSC02793.jpg

Good job with recycling a box!
DSC02794.jpg

DSC02795.jpg

DSC02796.jpg

DSC02797.jpg

AS you can see, it was a new card. Thanks BFG!

Back