BFGTech GeForce GTX 295 @ [H]

The one thing I can't figure out is why BFG is still supplying the double 6 pin to 8 pin connector (instead of just a single adapter). It requires two 6 pin cables from power supply to convert to single 8 pin. That means for a power supply that only has 6 pin cables, it takes 3 of them to run the card. A simple single connector 6 pin to 8 pin adapter can be bought to convert this (I bought one). The extra two pins are only grounds so a double connector is not necessary and could be a problem with a power supply that only has two 6 pin connectors.

I have dual 8800 Ultras right now, which I bought 1.5 years ago. Would getting one of these gtx 295's be a significant improvement for me at 1920x1200?

Rest of my specs:

680i SLI A1
QX6850 @ 3.33ghz
4gb pc-1066 ram
1000w power supply

the GTX295 should be alot faster then what you have got as the card has more ram then an 8800GTX and the card it self (i say going from my dual 8800gtx cards to an single GTX280 was an improvement for me ultra cards are fast but the GTX26+ cards are very fast :) )

older 9800/8800GTX review but games no longer tested due to they do not stress newer cards any more so that in it self should point out an improvement that the 295 is there
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQ4MSwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

I'd be interested in how the old GTX 260's stack up. I'm wondering how much of an impact 96 stream processors has, i know there will be some, but i'm curious if there is a giant drop between either SLI 216's and the GTX 295

Did Nvidia ever state or hint why a 448-bit bus was chosen along with the memory config?

Did Nvidia ever state or hint why a 448-bit bus was chosen along with the memory config?
common sense should tell you that it is power related. they had to keep the gpu under 300 watts and a 512-bit bus with faster/more memory would have pushed it out of that envelope.

I think that at 19x12 a single 280 would be enough for MOST games. It's only in the rare instance in a couple of games that more power would come in handy.

I play COD4, Fallout 3, GRID, Far Cry 2 and Crysis (did play it, bored now!), and none of these games really tax my system. Yes, occasionally in long distance shots in Fallout 3 there is a touch of lag (below 30fps), but that's momentary. There's only one reason to get a more powerful graphics card at these resolutions...you don't have a heater in your computer room...

The other big problem is games...what games are there that are FUN and have replay value that are coming out that will stress a system like mine? Nothing. Not that I can see anyways...I truly believe that my system will keep up with all the software for the next 12 months.

Oh, and someone asked if the 295 would be an improvement over SLI 8800 Ultras. The answer is YES. I had them before my 280, and this single card kicks the snot out of my Ultras...I was shocked.

Great review guys...thanks again!!!

With all due respect to [H] that's not enough benchmarks to make a decision. I looked elsewhere for benchmarks like guru3d and it shows the 295 killing the 4870x2 in most situations.

Is the ATI mystery driver available to the public yet? Beta is one thing, and it's expected with a new product launch, but ATI has had plenty of time to work on their drivers. Nvidia's beta drivers used in the review went WHQL Jan 8. I find it a little sketchy that ATI provided [H] with a new, non-public beta just in time for testing against the 295.

With all due respect to [H] that's not enough benchmarks to make a decision. I looked elsewhere for benchmarks like guru3d and it shows the 295 killing the 4870x2 in most situations.

Is the ATI mystery driver available to the public yet? Beta is one thing, and it's expected with a new product launch, but ATI has had plenty of time to work on their drivers. Nvidia's beta drivers used in the review went WHQL Jan 8. I find it a little sketchy that ATI provided [H] with a new, non-public beta just in time for testing against the 295.

which was really expected of the GTX295, wiping the 4870x2 off the benchies:D

Back