big icons in vista!

defuseme2k

[H]ard|Gawd
Admin, if this is in the wrong place I'm sorry. I wanted to show off this new feature in Vista. Please move it for me if it needs to be..

Vista supports huge icons natively. What I did was to convert my object dock icons (256x256 .png's) into vista's .ico format.

www.convertico.com very neat place ;).

Here is a screenshot, Click the thumbnail! Yeah, they're huge, way too big. I did it to show it off, I don't actually use it like this...

Yah, just hold Control and roll the mousewheel (and your mouse does have a wheel, right?) and whammo, bigger, or smaller, from I think 16x16 all the way up to 512x512.

wow, I have to admit, those *are* pretty icons!

and that is a beautiful desktop.... ahh, vista is so purty...

Yah, just hold Control and roll the mousewheel (and your mouse does have a wheel, right?) and whammo, bigger, or smaller, from I think 16x16 all the way up to 512x512.

No, not if the source file isn't bigger. The place holder grows, but the actual icon itself does not get bigger. The cool part about Vista is that you can now have truely beautiful icons natively. The built in icons are all nice, but the other apps you see on my screen there, winamp, mirc etc etc would be small still :(. www.wincustomize.com for the object dock icons. They have just about everything there.

No, not if the source file isn't bigger. The place holder grows, but the actual icon itself does not get bigger. The cool part about Vista is that you can now have truely beautiful icons natively. The built in icons are all nice, but the other apps you see on my screen there, winamp, mirc etc etc would be small still :(. www.wincustomize.com for the object dock icons. They have just about everything there.

i would expect many of the more popular programs to get create some fully scalable icons at some point

I could read those icons without my glasses on. Nice wallpaper, too.

Wow those look really good!

I don't think I'm ever gonna make them that big but thanks for sharing though, who know I might convert all my Vista icons so I can make them all big or small.

For people that have 24" and larger monitors who actually have icons on the Desktop (shame on you!) those things do come in handy in the "SuperSize" formats. :D

For people that have 24" and larger monitors who actually have icons on the Desktop (shame on you!) those things do come in handy in the "SuperSize" formats. :D

Lol. :D

My desktop is relatively icon-free. I've been guilty of having a few icon's on my desktop lately because I've been busy with school and work and I just haven't tidied my desktop up in a while. :/

I'll probably keep the icon's at the default size, or maybe smaller :D

I can't wait to use the sidebar with my monitor. It won't even take up space! Gotta love widescreen

wtf is wrong with icons man! I guess I use them a lot. I dislike having to open teh start menu and navigate through it. Plus vista's start menu annoys me to some extent.. just not used to it

On such a large monitor, like something with 1680x1050 resolution or higher, I can't see why people don't use the QuickLaunch for more stuff, really. You can set it for Large Icons and use some of those nice ones, double up the Taskbar and it's all right there.

Or do what a lot of people do nowadays: get a dock of some kind like RocketDock or ObjectDock and get all your most commonly used apps on it as shortcuts with big pretty icons. :)

Here is how to fix them ( i know i hate them too)

Right Click the Desktop > Properties > View > Classic Icons

There ya go.

Man, although i would never use such large icons like that, they look so damn sexy! I love em!

On such a large monitor, like something with 1680x1050 resolution or higher, I can't see why people don't use the QuickLaunch for more stuff, really. You can set it for Large Icons and use some of those nice ones, double up the Taskbar and it's all right there.

Or do what a lot of people do nowadays: get a dock of some kind like RocketDock or ObjectDock and get all your most commonly used apps on it as shortcuts with big pretty icons. :)

Heh. Yeah those in the screenshot are my old object dock icons I was using in xp. I don't like to waste the resources on dock apps really. You fly over object dock and your cpu utilization is 100% the entire time. Oh well I guess its just my style to like normal desktop icons. In XP I'd keep object dock up all the time and not let it autohide and would disable resizing so I could get almost the same effect as what I have on my screen in the ss (although not as big).

Well I do, sort of.

I just make new folders on my C: drive and call them Games and Apps. Then I throw all the shortcuts in there and put the folders in my taskbar.Works real nice and they're only one-click launchers too :)

Back