Big Phones Don't Fit In Fallout 4 Wearable Pip-Boy

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like the Bethesda Blog has been updated with information on phone size limitations for the Fallout 4 Pip-Boy Edition.

We have new information on the phones compatible with the Pip-Boy Edition. The Pip-Boy included will have foam inserts that fit iPhone 6, iPhone 5/5s, iPhone 4/4S, Samsung Galaxy 5, and Samsung Galaxy 4. In addition, using the customizable foam insert you should be able to fit most other popular smartphone devices. As we wanted to stay faithful to the dimensions of the in-game model, any smartphones larger than the models listed will not fit inside the wearable device. For these larger devices, our Pip-Boy companion app will still be available.

Eh, I never planned on using it. I just wanted one. It will go nicely with my other Fallout CEs

This makes sense. They had to draw the line somewhere, and supporting the minority with phablet would've meant a big goofy looking gap around the screen for all the regular size smartphones.

Won't work with my phone, but it doesn't matter. Sold out everywhere and I'm not paying $400 on ebay.

It would have been hilarious if they offered a replacement plan to fit the larger 5.5-7" phones in a perfectly scaled-up but unexpected "Super Mutant" sized Pip Boy.

Then they'd get people complaining it's too large to wear.

It would have been effort better spent to offer a pip-boy official launcher for phones. Would have people actually using it in more places, (seen by others drawing attention aka advertising) and after a give-away period with the higher end versions of the game, sell it in the playstore.

So, does this mean you can use your phone to serve as a pip-boy in game via the network?

Zarathustra[H];1041696180 said:
So, does this mean you can use your phone to serve as a pip-boy in game via the network?

yes. you don't have to have the wearable pip boy from the $120 version of the game either.

I had assumed this would connect to the phone by Bluetooth, not require you to insert your phone.

I had assumed this would connect to the phone by Bluetooth, not require you to insert your phone.

For $120? (minus $60 for the game, $5 each for the case, stand, and steelbook, and a comedic profit margin?) Not a chance. It's $25 of thermoformed plastic and disappointment.

Saw an article about this, pre-ordered it, read up about it, then canceled the pre-order. So disappoint.

I think this is more of a collectible item than anything else.

I don't think many people will actually be wearing this all the time while gaming, especially if you're using kb/m.

This kind of information would have been handy to have before people pre-ordered. Very poor planning.

When the CE was announced I kept looking up more information on the Pip-boy and asked around in the comments section of every article on it. No one but me was asking about phone compatibility for some reason. Everyone wanted the CE so badly that they didnt' even seem to care.

Even though the CE PipBoy has the gimmicky addition of letting you put your phone inside it, it was the app (which doesn't require the CE) that was the practical part ... I viewed the wearable PipBoy as an unusual CE bonus and not something I wanted to play the game with ... For actual gaming I would likely use my 6 plus or iPad for the benefit of the larger screen ... I didn't really want a bulky item on my WASD hand or mouse hand ;)

What difference does it make? The app will work on all phones and tablets regardless of size, and the wrist mount is too bulky looking to actually use with my hand on the keyboard comfortably. The point of the thing is to sit on the shelf and look pretty along with your other CE swag. This is like complaining the lunchbox from the FO3 CE isn't thermally insulated and will ruin your food.

This kind of information would have been handy to have before people pre-ordered. Very poor planning.

When the CE was announced I kept looking up more information on the Pip-boy and asked around in the comments section of every article on it. No one but me was asking about phone compatibility for some reason. Everyone wanted the CE so badly that they didnt' even seem to care.

It was available as soon as the pictures of the device were available (by looking at it), not to mention you could easily have assumed a phablet device wouldn't fit if this was going to be wearable on your wrist, or be anything NEAR the size of a pip-boy.

Why don't you have a regular size phone anyway? You must carry a purse otherwise. A 5.5" screen is already too big, and this supports that. I mean, to each their own in regards to phone size, but don't go expecting your phablet to fit everywhere and do everything a reasonably sized device would!

I've got an old S3 that should work on Wi-Fi, so I can just leave it in there permanently.

What difference does it make? The app will work on all phones and tablets regardless of size, and the wrist mount is too bulky looking to actually use with my hand on the keyboard comfortably. The point of the thing is to sit on the shelf and look pretty along with your other CE swag. This is like complaining the lunchbox from the FO3 CE isn't thermally insulated and will ruin your food.
This. No one is actually going to wear the thing while playing the game. Maybe you'll do it once for the lulz, but it's going on the shelf after that.

I have an old ipod touch I'll probably put in there. Other than that it'll just sit on my collectors crap shelf collecting dust next to my amiibo, Halo Reach statue and old republic statue.

Ten years ago I would have been all over that pre-order. Thankfully, I've moved on from the "dog turd in a holographic box" collector mentality.

Fallout is the only game series I pre-order. Have the lunch box and the CE from Vegas. I like them on the shelf. Looking forward to this one too.

There are 3d printing models out for that wearable pip boy, one just needs to edit the models to fit bigger phones.

Of course this wasn't going to be anything other then a typical cheap gimmick albeit cool.... Anyone who was expecting something of high quality craftsmanship was dreaming. Like mentioned above it's just going to look cool displayed on a shelf or something for those who actually wanted it. I'm sure there will be plenty of people wearing them to events like comic con though.

Back