Big Price Drops on NVIDIA Cards Coming

Hmm, dunno what I should do. My monitor is only capable of 1280x1024 yet I want to be able to play Metro 2033 with all settings maxed. Would this deal on the GTX 460s for SLI be worth it or should I go with a 6870 or GTX 470 or maybe even a GTX 480 or 5870?

how about you upgrade your monitor and welcome to the year 2010

Hmm, dunno what I should do. My monitor is only capable of 1280x1024 yet I want to be able to play Metro 2033 with all settings maxed. Would this deal on the GTX 460s for SLI be worth it or should I go with a 6870 or GTX 470 or maybe even a GTX 480 or 5870?
1280x1024? if you are so concerned about visuals it seems you would buy a modern widescreen monitor. I could not imagine playing a modern game like Metro 2033 on that claustrophobic aspect ratio.

you don't need to max every setting in the is game for it to look great. tessellation is not noticeable unless you take a screenshot. advanced DOF is absolutely not worth cutting your framerate in half for. 4x AA doesn't even look good and is not worth the performance hit.

what does the rest of your pc even look like? btw I played through Metro 2033 on DX10 high settings at 1920x1080 with a gtx260.

The problem is if I upgrade my current monitor, to receive a similar quality monitor at a resolution of 1920x1080, I would need to spend at least $400-500 and that's not money I'm prepared to spend. I have no issue with my current resolution or playing games at it.

My current system is: Asus Sabertooth X58, i7 930 @ 4515MHz, 3x2GB G.Skill DDR3 @ 1720MHz 9-9-9-24, MSI 8800GTS G92, and a ST3500418AS. As you can tell I've done some upgrading and video is all that's left and maybe an SSD.

The problem is if I upgrade my current monitor, to receive a similar quality monitor at a resolution of 1920x1080, I would need to spend at least $400-500 and that's not money I'm prepared to spend. I have no issue with my current resolution or playing games at it.

My current system is: Asus Sabertooth X58, i7 930 @ 4515MHz, 3x2GB G.Skill DDR3 @ 1720MHz 9-9-9-24, MSI 8800GTS G92, and a ST3500418AS. As you can tell I've done some upgrading and video is all that's left and maybe an SSD.

IMO You could easily get a 1080p monitor for aroundd $150, and a 6850 for around $179.

alot cheaper then your 400-500 estimate.

I'd only get a monitor that's similar in quality to what I currently own. Like I said, that quality would be too expensive.

I'd only get a monitor that's similar in quality to what I currently own. Like I said, that quality would be too expensive.

Then you are stuck with a lower end resolution.

Just get yourself a 5770 or a 460 GTX, either one of those is easily twice as fast as your current card.

well I only spent 180 bucks for my 23 inch 1920x1080 monitor 2 years ago. even going from 4:3 to 16:9 is a massive difference in game immersion. 5:4 is even more narrow than 4:3 so IMO it makes for one crappy gameplay experience especially in something like Metro 2033 or Dead Space.

anyway you have one beefy rig that can push anything so I would just grab a gtx470 with a non reference cooler and look for some monitor deals too.

The problem is if I upgrade my current monitor, to receive a similar quality monitor at a resolution of 1920x1080, I would need to spend at least $400-500 and that's not money I'm prepared to spend. I have no issue with my current resolution or playing games at it

WTF where did you get that price range... I got my 22" 1920x1080 for $130 on sale... well worth it

WTF where did you get that price range... I got my 22" 1920x1080 for $130 on sale... well worth it

It's called PVA. That's what my current screen type is. Rich, dark blacks and wider viewing angles come at a higher price unfortunately.

Guru3D shows GTX 460 SLI performing well at my resolution, better than a single 6870 in fact. Unfortunately theirs is the only review I can find at 1280x1024 and it's only the 768 version of the card.

It's called PVA. That's what my current screen type is. Rich, dark blacks and wider viewing angles come at a higher price unfortunately.

Guru3D shows GTX 460 SLI performing well at my resolution, better than a single 6870 in fact. Unfortunately theirs is the only review I can find at 1280x1024 and it's only the 768 version of the card.
gtx460 sli for 1280x1024 is just plain silly. again please stop worrying about those couple of settings that tank the framerate. would you like a video of me playing on high settings at 1920x1080 with just a gtx260? heck my 8600gt can play the game at 1280x1024(on low of course). lol

I would like the game to be playable at Very High settings as well as have the card(s) be pretty futureproof for other games. People talk about those settings at 1920x1080, why can't I talk about them at 1280x1024?

I would like the game to be playable at Very High settings as well as have the card(s) be pretty futureproof for other games. People talk about those settings at 1920x1080, why can't I talk about them at 1280x1024?

Because it is total overkill and a waste of money.

because you are looking at framerates for settings that are not needed. turn off advanced DOF alone and you can average well more than 40fps with a single gtx460 at 1280. Hardocp even recommends that in their reviews. plus 30-40 fps is smooth in this game and Hardocp also mentions that.

for some perspective I checked the game on my gtx260 with very high settings at 1280 and my framerates were averaging in the 50s at the spot I checked. DX11 really looks no different and just gives you the options for advanced DOF and tessellation. neither of those are needed for a good looking game.

because you are looking at framerates for settings that are not needed. turn off advanced DOF alone and you can average well more than 40fps with a single gtx460 at 1280. Hardocp even recommends that in their reviews. plus 30-40 fps is smooth in this game and Hardocp also mentions that.

for some perspective I checked the game on my gtx260 with very high settings at 1280 and my framerates were averaging in the 50s at the spot I checked. DX11 really looks no different and just gives you the options for advanced DOF and tessellation. neither of those are needed for a good looking game.

I agree. When did people forget how to tweak? It's like everyone is OCD now about max settings. I've yet to find a combination of settings between DX11 High and Very High that looked bad or noticeably different in actual gameplay so I've stuck with High without tessellation or DOF for smoother gameplay. It's a beautiful game, period in both modes.

So after the reviews it seems to me that the prices need to settle at;

GTX 460 1gb $169.99 even lower with rebates at times
GTX 470 $229.99 even lower with rebates at times

AMD = more efficient & more stock clock performance(ref card/ref card)
Nvidia = better overall performance wihen overclocked to the extreme in both cases.(overclocked to max vs overclocked to max)

Seems the 6000 series are clocked very high and dont leave much overclocking headroom.

How much of an upgrade would the GTX 460 be over a Geforce 8800?

I currently have the 8800, and am running it with a Q6600. I'm going to be doing some video rendering/animation on dual screens, and am a little concerned how the 8800 will hold up with Maya. Also, SC2 doesn't run all that well, so I wouldn't mind improvements in that area.

I was checking out the 460 in NVision mag, and was curious if its much of an upgrade over the 8800, or if I should wait for the AMD cards.

Seems the 6000 series are clocked very high and dont leave much overclocking headroom.

From an overclocking review (google translate):

I do not think it is very hard to draw a conclusion on the new Gigabyte Radeon HD 6870: Quality and solid construction with huge overclocking potential make him a very successful board, considering that here we saw the layout I see reference what other models from other manufacturers would do differently. For more complex analysis and conclusions complete know where to look.
source

Best result from the review (on AIR) 1180core 1200mem:

21k_vantage_3-580x356.png

You could always get this card: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6488429&CatId=3670, eligible for the step up program, and if you find it's not enough pay $65 for the 470.

That's what I did and I'm very happy the the 6 series was released, the 470's just took a huge price drop and I'm only going to pay $75 for a 470 if they don't drop anymore in the next two months.

From an overclocking review (google translate):

source

Best result from the review (on AIR) 1180core 1200mem:

I read that review after you quoted me in the other thread, thanks btw it was a good review. However in most reviews they didn't get this high and in either review the clocks move but the performance barely moves. I was hoping that a overclocked to the max 6870 would trade blows with a overclocked 480 and/or overclocked 5870 but it doesn't. Overclocking will not be this GPU's strong factor but it's not the end of the story, these gpu's win in so many other places. efficiency, new features, multi monitor, improved crossfire scaling etc.. Also without voiding your warranty (using factory clocks) they outperform the 460 and 470 in real world performance and benchmarks most of the time.

I read that review after you quoted me in the other thread, thanks btw it was a good review. However in most reviews they didn't get this high and in either review the clocks move but the performance barely moves. I was hoping that a overclocked to the max 6870 would trade blows with a overclocked 480 and/or overclocked 5870 but it doesn't. Overclocking will not be this GPU's strong factor but it's not the end of the story, these gpu's win in so many other places. efficiency, new features, multi monitor, improved crossfire scaling etc.. Also without voiding your warranty (using factory clocks) they outperform the 460 and 470 in real world performance and benchmarks most of the time.

You need voltage adjustment to go over 1000mhz on the core. Thats why you don't see it in so many reviews yet and why this review differed. :)

I just wanted to point out that they actually can overclock well, provided that you adjust voltage also (which is normal in OC). Personally I am more likely to underclock if I could gain in silence without loosing too much performance. :)

You need voltage adjustment to go over 1000mhz on the core. Thats why you don't see it in so many reviews yet and why this review differed. :)

I just wanted to point out that they actually can overclock well, provided that you adjust voltage also (which is normal in OC). Personally I am more likely to underclock if I could gain in silence without loosing too much performance. :)
you need voltage adjustment to get above 950 really which is a joke. even messing with voltage you are lucky to get 10-12% with 15% being the highest I have seen.

Hey a fellow PVA user! I cannot use any other type of monitor now without being bothered by it. I have 2x 21 inch 1600x1200 Samsung S-PVA displays.

/internet high five

you need voltage adjustment to get above 950 really which is a joke. even messing with voltage you are lucky to get 10-12% with 15% being the highest I have seen.

The highest you have seen, is the link I have shown in this thread that you saw way earlier.
1180 core, 1200 mem. I hope you will read the link this time:
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1036326274&postcount=880

You need to mess with voltage on many things you overclock including GPU. Variances are high and voltage tweaks gives more stability. All depends on leaks.

Heres Overclockers club (they did not use voltage tweaks either):

Sapphire HD 6870 974 / 1170
XFX HD 6870 1000 / 1166
XFX HD 6850 972 / 1159
Powercolor HD 6870 1000 / 1220
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/amd_6800series/7.html

g3d volted and still only got 75mhz above stock on the 6879. the 6850's overclocked better.

If you can't tell the truth, don't post. G3D didn't volt. Here's a direct quote from their review:

Now we left the fan RPM control at default in all circumstances. We reached a very decent overclock guaranteeing better results. Voltage tweaking is not yet an option. With AfterBurner (download here) our stable end result was roughly 950 MHz on the core and 4344 MHz on the memory.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-6850-6870-review/22

forgive me i must have crossed with another site.

i seen the massive air clock as xs, using a spitfire cooler and 1.5v (up from 1.17 stock) and 1c-5c ambient air temps (34F-41F) thats pure benchmarking overclocking. very few any regular user is willing to go to those extremes. not many people are going to basically put there computer in a refrigerator for everyday usage.

forgive me i must have crossed with another site.

i seen the massive air clock as xs, using a spitfire cooler and 1.5v (up from 1.17 stock) and 1c-5c ambient air temps (34F-41F) thats pure benchmarking overclocking. very few any regular user is willing to go to those extremes. not many people are going to basically put there computer in a refrigerator for everyday usage.

I'm not talking about going to the extreme, but to up voltage so you can get higher stable overclock. That doesn't require nitrocooling or any other extreme measurements. The discussion here is just to get higher overclock and yes its possible with voltmod.

The 6800's series perform well without overclock in their priceclass. If you look at overclockersclub's numbers, which is done without voltmod and on stock cooler, this is the range of probably most casual oc'ers:
Sapphire HD 6870 974 / 1170
XFX HD 6870 1000 / 1166
XFX HD 6850 972 / 1159
Powercolor HD 6870 1000 / 1220

Edit: Forgot to mention that there are also those that has OC ready for their cards, like Asus:

EAH6870/2DI2S/1GD5
ASUS EAH6870 brings new power to DirectX11® 3D gaming

Boost up to 50%* higher with ASUS exclusive Voltage Tweak
Immersive multi-display gaming experience with advanced Eyefinity technology
Stylish aluminum fan cover lowers surface temperature by 14 degree Celsius
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1555556&page=10
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121401&Tpk=EAH6870

Its not complicated.

Last edited:
Still think GTX 460 SLI is the best bang for the buck. It would be killler if you can get an sli set for $300. Think about it, 460 SLI performbs better than a 5970 which costs twice as much.

Still think GTX 460 SLI is the best bang for the buck. It would be killler if you can get an sli set for $300. Think about it, 460 SLI performbs better than a 5970 which costs twice as much.

Or you could do 6850 CrossFire and get better performance than GTX 460 1GB SLI for a slightly lower price.

That's exactly what I did. right now Newegg has a pair of Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB cards for $320 after rebate. I'll be coming from a Radeon 3870 512MB so it'll be a pretty nice jump for me!

How is $20 a big price drop? I was hoping for a $150 price on the GTX 460, so I can get another one, but with prices staying where they are, I am thinking of selling mine and getting two new Radeon cards.

Question...

Any chance this will come down in price within the new week or two? I was reading through this read and it really has me thinking... I may return it if so... If not, won't NewEgg reimburse you if its within a certain time period? Anyone know?

Doubt it. All the other 470 cards on Newegg (except Sparkles "look in cart price" at $249.99) have been adjusted to $259.99, which probably is the new official low price. There isn't even a single card under this including mail in rebates and foodstamps.

I say keep it if you are pleased with it! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Question...

Any chance this will come down in price within the new week or two? I was reading through this read and it really has me thinking... I may return it if so... If not, won't NewEgg reimburse you if its within a certain time period? Anyone know?

you already purchased yours at the new lowered price ($259 msrp before rebates/discounts). don't expect it to drop much more. newegg will often refund the difference if the price drops, though I am not sure if that is their official policy.

a lot of people go through stuff like this. you buy something, check some different websites, start thinking you bought the wrong thing while the pacake is still in the mail... between this and the other thread you made, you appear to be at DEFCON 1 level buyer's remorse. just get the card and enjoy it, the 470 is really good! if you keep asking questions all over the place, people will keep giving you different answer and stressing you out. you are worrying too much about what is going to amount to maybe $10 and a couple fps.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Last edited by a moderator:
Back