Bigger than 120mm

bob

2[H]4U
My compaq server has a good sized fan to cool the 4 cpu's and two ram cards. it must be almost turning 1,000rpms and is very quiet, but moves a fair amount of air around. At least enough to cool four pentium pro's that dont have individual heatsink fans, or any type of fan shroud.

I busted out my calipers to get an exact measurement of it, and it was over 150mm from the tips of the blades (the calipers were maxed out at 140mm). Newegg only sells up to 120mm fans, and i would like to get another one of these lumbering giants.

I used to have a computer magazine with fans this large, the largest one being rated at 300CFM and 120V motor :). Im just looking for a 12V like the one in my server.

My 750W psu does have a 120mm, but it turns at Mach-4 and shoots out air with the velocity and volume greater than that of a leaf blower, and just as much noise. Im trying to put together a file server/ Htpc and it doesnt need to be rattling away all night, or while im watching "up in smoke" on vhs.

I'm now running a 150mm EBM in my TT Tsunami, found it in an old HP jukebox. You can find new 150mm at frozencpu.com, and some electrical stores.

bob said:
My 750W psu does have a 120mm, but it turns at Mach-4 and shoots out air with the velocity and volume greater than that of a leaf blower, and just as much noise. Im trying to put together a file server/ Htpc and it doesnt need to be rattling away all night, or while im watching "up in smoke" on vhs.
Ever consider replading the PSU fan with something quieter? There's some pretty good 120mm fans out there with reasonable CFM and much lower noise

there are 172 mm fans, with 168 mm blades. i used on one of my full tower cases, it was the only fan i needed. every little hole or crack of the case sucks up air. i use to love to watch smoke get sucked in to the cracks of the drive bays. if i had any hotspots i would just drill holes and fresh air would get sucked in there.

Back