Bilding a new NAS, considering drives

theDeviL

Limp Gawd
I've heard Red Drives are reliable but not in 6TB capacities, is this accurate? I'm looking to get 3-4 of these to get me started.

I've heard Red Drives are reliable but not in 6TB capacities, is this accurate? I'm looking to get 3-4 of these to get me started.

There was a bad run of 3TB Reds back when they were initially shipped, but now they are as reliable as any prosumer/NAS drives as any other on the market in any size.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/best-hard-drive/

I will point to that as the most recent data I've seen. It doesn't so much indicate entire brand names are bad, but particular models you would be better served to stay away from -- and it's hard to say if a particular model saw any changes and could be better (or worse) than what this study shows from last year.

Personally, I tend to go with whatever is least expensive in the capacity and speed range I need, so long as it as >= 3 year warranty on it (about as long as I keep storage drives before I replace out of principle). I have had good response and luck with WD warranty service (that 3T Red batch - the replacements have been solid), but I don't have any experience with other brands.

thank you for that link, from their findings it seems as though 4TB drives are the way to go although their 6TB data is hard to look at since the number of drives seems very low in comparison.

I myself have only ever purchased WD drives for the last decade and while I hear great things about HGST drives some have pointed out that they are louder during operation.

things to consider!

I prefer HGST 4tb Deskstar NAS drives. They go onsale (drive in retail box) for around 150 from time to time.

Back