Bios programming?

chemist_slime

[H]ard|Gawd
Does anyone know where I can learn to program a bios. My current system doesn't have VT enabled and I just want to learn how to program a bios to enable it.

I hope you're not expecting some sort of online tutorial. Writing a BIOS for a modern machine is very involved. I'd only start if you have lots of programming experience, a very deep understanding of hardware, know how to read a data sheet, and have experience working with assembler. Once you're there, you'll find that turning on virtualization is not just about flipping a bit.

If all your ducks in a line, then you can begin by building a relationship with your local AMD and/or Intel representative. They can get you the documentation and support you need. While you're waiting, you can download some of the necessary references from the AMD website. The AMD Opteron doc page, for example, has a link to that family's BIOS and Kernel Developer's Guide. For the Intel chips, the basic information you'll want is in the System Programming Guides on their documentation page.

I hope you're not expecting some sort of online tutorial. Writing a BIOS for a modern machine is very involved. I'd only start if you have lots of programming experience, a very deep understanding of hardware, know how to read a data sheet, and have experience working with assembler. Once you're there, you'll find that turning on virtualization is not just about flipping a bit.

If all your ducks in a line, then you can begin by building a relationship with your local AMD and/or Intel representative. They can get you the documentation and support you need. While you're waiting, you can download some of the necessary references from the AMD website. The AMD Opteron doc page, for example, has a link to that family's BIOS and Kernel Developer's Guide. For the Intel chips, the basic information you'll want is in the System Programming Guides on their documentation page.

Thanks Mike. Although I do have a pretty good programming background it seems that turning on VT is a bit more than I can handle. I actually emailed the tech of my motherboard and the 2nd best thing happened. He sent me a test bios that has VT enabled. So now it actually works. YAY.

Back