Bioshock or Orange Box?

• Bioshock

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Orange Box

Votes: 108 91.5%

• Total voters

Khaydarin

2[H]4U
First...I heard about a bunch of problems the PC version of Bioshock had (lots of bugs, etc), as well as crazy copy-protection issues. Is Bioshock worth buying now? Have the issues been addressed?

Secondly....I'd like to pick up a new game sometime soon. I'd either like to pick up Bioshock (which I've seen most of played on the Xbox 360) or the Orange Box. I've got a pretty decent PC (4GB DDR2 RAM, 2.7 Ghz Dual Core AMD, 8800GT, X-Fi, 24'' LCD) and I need something with a lot of replayability. Your recommendations?

Bioshock and The Orange Box don't even compare. I didn't like Bioshock enough to finish it, so glad I didn't buy it.

Orange Box....so great. Team Fortress 2 is the best online game ever, and it just keeps getting greater. Half Life series and Portal are also VERY good.

Bioshock and The Orange Box don't even compare. I didn't like Bioshock enough to finish it, so glad I didn't buy it.

Orange Box....so great. Team Fortress 2 is the best online game ever, and it just keeps getting greater. Half Life series and Portal are also VERY good.

qft, I liked bioshock enough to borrow and finish it but not to go back, They simply do not compare, orange box is miles ahead of pretty much every pc release for the past 4 years let alone bioshock. All the half life games + tf2 + portal+ tons of great mods make OB the obvious choice

i got motion sickness from bioshock, first time it ever happened to me from a game. glad I didn't buy it.

but yeah, get orange box, or at least TF2

There's just too much replay value in the Orange Box compared to Bioshock, granted Bioshock is a good game, it's only worth two play throughs.

Bioshock was good, but it's only single player.
Orange Box has a 6 hr long HL2 expansion, plus a 4-6 hr standalone Portal which is the most innovative game of the last 5 years, plus the best MP FPS game in the history of gaming in TF2.

I enjoyed bioshock, after playing it I didn't want to "re-live" the events so I happily sold it.

Bioshock = single admission to a great storyline/experience

Orange Box = multiple theme park admission

meh...tf2 is getting boring though...all you can do is pub, and most people are idiots. In games like CS:S or 1.6 you can actually get a decent team and scrim together.

generic answer but true: get both. both are something you have to experience as a PC gamer.

Orange Box first, Bioshock later.

Both are great games but OB is simply the best deal in video game history.

Bioshock is boring and repetitive. Here is pretty much the whole game: go to point. point is blocked. backtrack through entire level flip switch. walk all the way back again. repeat for 15 hrs.

I think I made it about 50% through the game and then threw it out. The mouse sensitivity was crap on that game anyway even with the patch.

I prefer Orange Box... Particularly TF2 and Portal. TF2 is much more social and the team aspects are pretty fun when you have an organized group. I don't play it as much as I used to but I still jump on for the occasional game.

Orange Box first, Bioshock later.

Both are great games but OB is simply the best deal in video game history.

Agreed. I enjoyed both -- a couple of my friends who weren't really in to the Half Life series would even say Bioshock is superior -- but they're very different games. Half Life is about epic storytelling, Bioshock is more about atmosphere.

It will be a pretty serious disappointment in some aspects if you go in like me expecting a 'spiritual successor' to System Shock / System Shock 2, however, as those were both far more complex and generally 'deep' games with a greater commitment to RPG-style character customization. They were also hard as hell and difficult to get in to, so I can understand the switch, but it's still frustrating for those of us that really loved them.

You really should pick up both, but you'll get more play time out of the Orange Box, and a lot more if you're already a fan of Half Life.

Orange Box is obviously the number one choice here.

Couldn't stand the mouse emulation problems in Bioshock for PC. Still don't think they have it fixed and it's been nearly a year. Much better game on consoles IMO.

meh...tf2 is getting boring though...all you can do is pub, and most people are idiots. In games like CS:S or 1.6 you can actually get a decent team and scrim together.

the trick to enjoying TF2 is finding a server that a clan plays in. theres usually always people working together.

Orange Box is obviously the number one choice here.

Couldn't stand the mouse emulation problems in Bioshock for PC. Still don't think they have it fixed and it's been nearly a year. Much better game on consoles IMO.
no mouse issues after the 1.1 patch for me. in fact the slightly wonky mouse and one crash were the only issues I had with the original game. I did have trouble installing it though until I turned off windows defender.

the Orange Box is the better deal though especially if you want TF2. I would still pick Bioshock down the road though.

Bioshock is a great name.

However, the Orange Box is a bunch of great games. Also, I have to admit that the HL2 series are my favorite games: great graphics, control and just overall really entertaining.

This one is a no-brainer.

Orange Box hands down. The OB is probably the best value game/games I have ever bought. HL 2 Ep 2 is incredible (what an ending!), Portal is short but absolutely brilliant and TF2 is the title that provides longevity.

Bioshock was a huge disappointment. The game felt too linear, the game balancing was way off. Don't believe the hype, the game was a 8 out of 10 game at best but the critics loved it and rated it so. Check out Metacritic, the critics give it 9.6 but the people gave it 8.1

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/bioshock?q=bioshock

I'm not a big fan of either of them, but having played the contents of both, the choice is clear and has been stated repeatedly.

Bioshock: I wasn't too ecstatic about the gameplay but the storyline and the presentation are what makes this game special. One time around was enough for me though.

Orange Box: portal portal portal. "Cake is NOT a lie!" This innovative game puts a new spin on the first person "shooter" genre. For this game alone the orange box is worth it. TF2 is excellent online multiplayer... just get ready to be extremely frustrated when you first start playing though. Oh yeah, HL2: episode 2 isn't too shabby either, lol.

Also, there are tons of free MOD'd games that you can download for HL2 source engine.

http://www.hl2mods.co.uk/find.php?genreString=&modeString=&downloadString=&Submit=Show

Orange box is definitely worth every penny you spend on it, however, I still recommend checking out bioshock later on when it's even cheaper.

Woops, should have read the question more thoroughly before I voted. I voted Bioshock, which IMHO is easily the better single player game. I wouldn't worry about technical issues, at this point the vast majority of them have been ironed out. However, if you're looking for replay/play time, then go with Orange Box, especially if you haven't played HL2 and Ep1. Both are superb bargains right now, and whichever one you choose, I doubt you'd be sorry.

Bioshock is a great game and you can pick it up for cheap, that said if you have to go with one then it is Orange Box all the way! No question. :)

after playing through both.... I say Orange box. Bioshock was 1 great 15 hour experience that I will never repeat, whereas if you count all the things in orange box I've put in about 100 hours of great experience(and another 100 hours of mediocre experience due to poor teamwork in tf2).

Bioshock is a great single player game, with excellent storytelling and atmosphere (graphics really do make this game shine) but Orange Box is just better, especially for replayability.

Portal is a vastly different and innovative 'FPS' game you shouldn't miss out.
TF2 is the best multi FPS with endless fun. I have over 250 hours logged into it and still going.
For the single player FPS department, I honestly enjoyed Bioshock more than HL2 but they're still good and well worth playing.

If possible I would say buy both, but only given 1 choice theres no doubt people should recommend Orange Box

Orange Box then get Bioshock with the next paycheck. Play Portal first, its short, sweet and one of the best games of last year.

Orange box for sure.

I played Bioshock for about 1 hour and got seriously bored of it. Uninstalled it a few days later after never loading it up again. It just wasn't fun.

Orange Box = Sex with plenty of OOOoooooo's and AAAAAhhhhh's

Bioshock = Sex with sandpaper.......Looks real good but hurts later on.

You asked for replayability, so I responded Orange Box. Although TF2 is really the only replayable game here. Arguments can be made for Portal to increase times, but I got bored of that quick. Bioshock was about a 15-20 hour playthrough the first time, and about a dozen hours the second.

Back