Bioshock/Steam (International Users)

krotch

Supreme [H]ardness
Well, fair warning to those out there, I just purchased a Bioshock that I can't understand. I'm in the US Airforce, so I move around a lot. I bought Bioshock via Steam. When purchasing with my debit card, I have to enter the country that I'm living in or it won't go through.

Needless to say, Steam doesn't allow me to select a language for the game (when the game has multiple languages). So now my game is all in German. There isn't any real bugs/issues with the game, just an FYI for those out there who plan on purchasing via Steam.

I'm currently engaging with Valve to see if I can get an English version.

I'm currently engaging with Valve to see if I can get an English version.
I would definitely do that, as German versions of games (especially FPS games) tend to be horribly censored, without gore/violence/blood/death animations etc, due to government laws.
Are you currently stationed in Germany ? If so it will probably be illegal for Valve to "officially" allow you to download the english version - but if you search around there used to be ways around it, using proxy servers and whatnot, which might still work.

Will have to see what happens. If worse comes to worse, I'll end up having to buy a regular retail boxed copy of the game. Would be annoying having to buy the game twice.

Course, I'd gladly take a version that's in English, even if it's censored. It'd be better than what I have how.

To be honest I'd be more worried about germans playing games like Risk, rather than Bioshock. They don't need encouragement ;)

Isn't this terrible. It's been 5 days and still nothing from Valve.

Anyways, I'm resorting to piracy to get the english audio. I'll implant it into my steam install. Hopefully this will cure the issues. Aside from stupid German censorship.

Here's an update. I implanted all the files from the Retail English copy into the German Steam copy. It seems to be working fine. Not everything is completely in English. When you go to the weapons upgrade machine, it's still all in German. That's so far the only thing I've seen that's in German.

Menus, voices, vids, and so on are in English. Just that weapons upgrade machine that's not. Which is annoying, as I have no clue what it is I'm upgrading my weapon too.

I did have a problem when I first implanted the files. The game would crash when saving. Which was really annoying, as I killed 6 big daddies, saved 3 little sisters, built a bomb, used the bomb, and then when I was auto-saving when moving to the next level, my game crashed. Everything lost. Nothing worse than spending 2 hours playing and losing it all. I killed three of the big daddies with my super freezing wrench too. Ya, takes like 20 mins to kill a big daddy with a wrench. Life wasn't a problem, as I pulled him towards one of those regen pod things.

Anyways, this time after implanting the files, I tested to make sure the save feature works.

Back