Bitcoin Discussion Thread Part 2

ec0ed64cfd9b0579bb070729aa9a62d0.png

Wow,normally it'd be around 50-60 stales already.Too bad it's on the longest block in simplecoin history. :p

what is going on with the price of coins............ ive only been reading on it for 2-3 days and its gone down like 3 bucks.

Bitcoin prices are directly affected by the availability of unicorn tears. As unicorns are not currently in season, the price has fluctuated accordingly.

Looks like the speculator who bought a huge amount of coins on july 31st:
buyc.jpg

just pulled out of the market:
sellh.jpg

The rest is panic selling from all the smaller fish.
There is also a chance that this is intentional, remember someone IS buying all those coins. It's also happens to be the end of the month and people need cash 'cause bills are due.

Last edited:
Go linux :p remote ssh monitoring ftw! I run 2 machines completely headless, no kvm, no dummy plugs, no xfire.

Did you build all your monitoring scripts yourself or did you take an application and fit it to your needs?

buyp.jpg

sellv.jpg

There is also a chance that this is intentional, remember someone IS buying all those coins. It's also happens to be the end of the month and people need cash 'cause bills are due.

I may have to buy some up then.

Tread carefully there. The weekend has just started and coins usually dip anyways during weekends because there are no bank transfers til Monday (plus this is an end of the month weekend). I kinda expect them to go lower. [strike=1]Look for signs of the $8 bid wall crumbling or holding. If it holds you can safely get in, but don't expect the market to suddenly jump back up to $10. Buying in low right now is a longish term investment.[/s]

Scratch that, the $8 bid wall looks like it's crumbling as I type this. I would just wait and see where it all lands. Secure your seat belts.

Tread carefully there. The weekend has just started and coins usually dip anyways during weekends because there are no bank transfers til Monday (plus this is an end of the month weekend). I kinda expect them to go lower. [strike=1]Look for signs of the $8 bid wall crumbling or holding. If it holds you can safely get in, but don't expect the market to suddenly jump back up to $10. Buying in low right now is a longish term investment.[/s]

Scratch that, the $8 bid wall looks like it's crumbling as I type this. I would just wait and see where it all lands. Secure your seat belts.

is there a level 2 service for bitcoins?

So what's the smallest worthwhile number to have your own pool or to mine solo?

What do you mean "Your own pool".. Like going thru all the effort to create a pool and you as the only resident miner? or joining one..

Solo youd wanna be at LEAST 10GHash and its still gonna take a couple months to find a block.

Bigger than I thought then, my friend and I both recently got into this and we have a lot of machines between us already that do various other things (like 12). So I was wondering if it was worth it just working together, sounds like a no since we're not close to 10Ghash. :( More like 4Ghash.

Ok, I've fiddled enough with Linuxcoin and the scripts to determine this - you just can't as easily manipulate your OC's in Debian as I can in 7. If one GPU locks up, it's easy as pie for the driver to crash, recover, and disables that GPU until a manual restart is done allowing a quick adjustment on clock. With the linux capabilities I'm not seeing that. If the driver goes down to an unstable overclock, the whole rig locks up making troubleshooting a pita.

Linux OC utilities suck. You really need to flash the new clocks to the card and then just not worry about overclocking.

Yes in Linux, I can't get over the locked maximum clocks on my 5870s like I can with unofficial overclocking with Afterburner.

buyc.jpg

sellh.jpg

Lorien you are the man lol. You need your own status of bitcoins thread. I would eagerly read every day lol.

Linux OC utilities suck. You really need to flash the new clocks to the card and then just not worry about overclocking.

it's fairly simple to oc in linux..

install catalyst 11.6 which allows you to bypass oc limits.
run a script similar to this one (this is for 3 cards)
Code:
aticonfig --od-enable --adapter=all
aticonfig --od-setclock=960,0 --adapter=0
aticonfig --od-setclock=960,300 --adapter=1
aticonfig --od-setclock=960,300 --adapter=2
export DISPLAY=:0.0
aticonfig --pplib-cmd "set fanspeed 0 67"
export DISPLAY=:0.1
export DISPLAY=:0.2

We should just quit a block when it's taken twice the time as normal. But then all the mining has been wasted..

Wow, will this ever end?

I guess I'm spoiled but Nxdifficulty blocks make flogge a sad panda. It's gonna drive me to drinkin. Speaking of which anyone heard of "The Beast" Grand Cru from Avery Brewery in Colorado? My buddie's bar got some and they are asking $15/bottle.

I guess I'm spoiled but Nxdifficulty blocks make flogge a sad panda. It's gonna drive me to drinkin. Speaking of which anyone heard of "The Beast" Grand Cru from Avery Brewery in Colorado? My buddie's bar got some and they are asking $15/bottle.

Try to trade a bitcoin for one.

We should just quit a block when it's taken twice the time as normal. But then all the mining has been wasted..

Wow, will this ever end?

That's not how it works.

It's not like Folding where you're working on a specific work unit.

We're continuously trying to find the next block in the chain. So as other people find blocks, we're constantly trying to find the next one after that. There's never any mining "invested" in generating a block.

That's why long polling is so important. It's a way for the pool to tell your miner, "Hey dummy, that block got found! We're working on the next one!" so it doesn't waste time on outdated data it has cached.

That's not how it works.

It's not like Folding where you're working on a specific work unit.

We're continuously trying to find the next block in the chain. So as other people find blocks, we're constantly trying to find the next one after that. There's never any mining "invested" in generating a block.

That's why long polling is so important. It's a way for the pool to tell your miner, "Hey dummy, that block got found! We're working on the next one!" so it doesn't waste time on outdated data it has cached.

Thank-you, I didn't quite understand how this worked. Unfortunately, this is when being in a small pool hurts.

it's fairly simple to oc in linux..

install catalyst 11.6 which allows you to bypass oc limits.
run a script similar to this one (this is for 3 cards)
Code:
aticonfig --od-enable --adapter=all
aticonfig --od-setclock=960,0 --adapter=0
aticonfig --od-setclock=960,300 --adapter=1
aticonfig --od-setclock=960,300 --adapter=2
export DISPLAY=:0.0
export DISPLAY=:0.1
export DISPLAY=:0.2

I was doing just this, not a problem. Simple easy, scriptable. The problem came when it was a bad clock and cgminer would hang, I could kill the process but the actual module for the GPU was hung up on the system. Without restarting the system, I was in a hard place. Windows ATI drivers allow for me to have soft crashes, which are easily recoverable.

That's not true, it's the way the system deals with Fubaring the oc. Overclocking is comically easy while using the CLI.

I was doing just this, not a problem. Simple easy, scriptable. The problem came when it was a bad clock and cgminer would hang, I could kill the process but the actual module for the GPU was hung up on the system. Without restarting the system, I was in a hard place. Windows ATI drivers allow for me to have soft crashes, which are easily recoverable.

Yes, there's no VPU Recovery with Linux. If it goes, it just goes and hangs. I also prefer the remote desktop options for Windows for controlling mining and overclocking and graphical monitoring of GPU utilization and fan temps, etc. I can get immediately via those.

Last edited:
I think this was discussed earlier and I may have missed it, RDP native to windows unloads the graphics driver when used. VNC and the like don't, correct?

I think this was discussed earlier and I may have missed it, RDP native to windows unloads the graphics driver when used. VNC and the like don't, correct?
Not that I've noticed, although I'm using the UltraVNC driver with Aero permanently disabled on my Win7 miners.

Use Logmein. Installs its own virtual video adapter and connects through via socket, not port so it connects through almost anything. It's also free.

I have set up a 5850,2x5830 on a MSI GD70 with a dual core processor and I'm noticing that the only one gpu at a time is running balls out, and the other two are fighting for processor time. Once I locked the cgminer process to one core of the CPU, everything runs fine. Is this a known issue, or should I look at a low power quad core processor to balance the load?

Dear Simplecoin,
Please find a block.
Love,
Your shareholders

:(

I know ... :( It's been a sad round... makes up for the good luck we had.

That said, I found our 2nd solidcoin block... and rebuilt the bitcoin enhancements from joel katz into the solidcoin client.

I have set up a 5850,2x5830 on a MSI GD70 with a dual core processor and I'm noticing that the only one gpu at a time is running balls out, and the other two are fighting for processor time. Once I locked the cgminer process to one core of the CPU, everything runs fine. Is this a known issue, or should I look at a low power quad core processor to balance the load?

I have never heard of this problem. AFAIK the CPU isn't actually doing anything but the way Ati's open cl is coded the CPU is always spun up in a ready state. I run my mining computers from 4 year old core2duos to i5s so I don't know what is causing your problem unless it is cg miner specific. I use Phoenix in win 7 though.

I know ... :( It's been a sad round... makes up for the good luck we had.

That said, I found our 2nd solidcoin block... and rebuilt the bitcoin enhancements from joel katz into the solidcoin client.

Okay what is solidcoin and why should I mine it? Scam coins (IX and i0) didn't work out

update: solidcoin kinks worked out, now simplecoin should have some of the lowest stale rates for solidcoins.

Back