Bitcoin Discussion Thread Part 2

So people are focusing on simplecoin...is Bitcoin dead, at least for [H]'ers?

hardly, I think the tsd crowd just use the thread a lot

there is no good way to measure who has dropped off and who is still going, BTC are still paying their own way for me, I mine at the guild

I've also switched back to BTCGuild from SC.US. Slowly plodding away. I spent a few BTC at amazon a couple weeks ago. Managed to hit a high point at $6.08 on spendbitcoins.com. I might save up some and try to get a Kindle Fire for Christmas.

Thnx helpful 1 Day noobie :D
Will check it when I get home.

No problem Mr. 6.5yr member.
Long time reader, first time poster, been on the overclockers.com board for ~9yrs. (diff name)

I've been mining PPS @ Ars for a few weeks now, after switching from Prop @ Deepbit.
Dabbled a bit in TBX, got VERY lucky and got 2 blocks solo mining within 1hr. Have one machine on Simplecoin doing TBX, and hop over and put some shares in on the prop pool when i am playing wow.

Not exactly making a lot, but really enjoying the endeavor of it all.

Last edited:
Not exactly making a lot, but really enjoying the endeavor of it all.

Yeah, this has become my excuse to load up on tons of new hardware and the wife cant complain since its for the most part earning its keep..

But I just ordered the final parts for my 4th Rig and im gonna stop there and just soak up what I can.. With 3 1/3 rigs running im making about 2BTC a day in it all

GPUs will be for BTC, 5 CPUs' in Tenebrix, and 5 CPUs in [H] folding.

Really need to help tsd draw some attention to his BTC pool.
I love the pool more and more as he works on it however the low hash rate is killin me.. Sucks because at this point in the game most people have already settled on what pool they wanna stay at. Need to go troll a bunch of other forums :D

@ rjb82
Yep.. That was it.. It seems I had pack v1 which had the long-polling issue
Got v3 from tenebrix.org and it seems to have fixed it right up..

@jasondead
Reward: 1 Cookie, but I eated it..
But in all srsns.. Thnx.. SC needs all the BTC hash it can get, I should be back on friday (With all 4 rigs up).. Just have to mine enough at DB for now to cover electricity and then ill be back.

tbx questions: On my x6 1055t, how many threads should I choose? If I choose 5 or 6, they both max out all cores at 100%.

Would it be worth it to mine TBX on my two Sempron 140 linux boxes?

Also, with the windows TBX gui client, how do I create a new address? If I click "New Address", I can type in a name, but the address is blank and is required.

Question: with my 2600K should i use 6 threads at 1.6 Khash/sec or 8 threads at 1.24 khash/sec?:confused:

I think it may be better to do 8*1.24, but then again I'm not sure how that works. I'd assume each thread is at 1.24, thus giving you a higher total yield than 6*1.6. Then again, if the number reported is simply the aggregate total then you'd be better with the 1.6KH total.

tbx questions: On my x6 1055t, how many threads should I choose? If I choose 5 or 6, they both max out all cores at 100%.

Would it be worth it to mine TBX on my two Sempron 140 linux boxes?

Also, with the windows TBX gui client, how do I create a new address? If I click "New Address", I can type in a name, but the address is blank and is required.

You probably would benefit slightly with the six threads, one for each core. I notice sometimes if I use two threads it will balance between three cores, usually capping all of them, but the total throughput is lower.

If you aren't using the cores, then maybe. Then again it's a lot of power usage for a low yield, so it's not likely to be very profitable.

Not sure about the address, not made one myself yet.

Any way to know your stale rate on tbx? Seems like I am submitting a lot of invalid(Boooo!)

Last edited:
Any way to know your stale rate on tbx? Seems like I am submitting a lot of invalid(Boooo!)

Proof of Work = true

Invalid is Proof of Work = false.

Unless you're solo, then PoW is always invalid on blocks you didn't find.

When I did it, I did just like you said, clicked add, typed in the name, and clicked ok. It filled the address in. All is good!
Does yours actually pop up an error saying address is required? On mine the address box is grayed out, so there is no choice to type the address.

Nevermind, I was on the Send Address tab, was asking me to enter a sending address. It let me create a receiving address.

tsd: tbx shares messed up? No way I am doing .315mhash. At least I am not getting paid the estimates and share that I am reporting :p

tsd: tbx shares messed up? No way I am doing .315mhash. At least I am not getting paid the estimates and share that I am reporting :p

That's what I was noticing!
Last night I was getting >10% of the total shares as per the stats, and the estimate was right on for that number of shares (2.5+tbx). But, then we'd find a block, and I get .2/block unconfirmed and eventually confirmed! :(

On a side note:
Do any of youl feel, TBX mining may just be harder on a CPU than P95/IBT?
I know my temps are higher with it.
Though, I haven't done a good tear down of my H2O set-up in about a year...Maybe I should try that out!

That's what I was noticing!
Last night I was getting >10% of the total shares as per the stats, and the estimate was right on for that number of shares (2.5+tbx). But, then we'd find a block, and I get .2/block unconfirmed and eventually confirmed! :(

On a side note:
Do any of youl feel, TBX mining may just be harder on a CPU than P95/IBT?
I know my temps are higher with it.
Though, I haven't done a good tear down of my H2O set-up in about a year...Maybe I should try that out!

no clue...I will have to investigate... on another note... power to $ gain for btc tbx w/e decrypting blocks with cpu's is not economical...

I do about 820mhash out of 2 cards....

It's likely somehow you're sending invalid blocks (maybe through a gpu with that worker id?). The hashrate and estimates don't take into account invalid shares (too db intensive for live stats)

Also, the daily estimate in the stats page is just wrong. It's one of the last things I need to fix or remove on that page.

no clue...I will have to investigate... on another note... power to $ gain for btc tbx w/e decrypting blocks with cpu's is not economical...

I do about 820mhash out of 2 cards....

TBX is supposed to be "CPU only" (GPU hostile)! But, you can use GPU's with about a 99.8% decrease in hashrate. (One of my 1Gh machines mine @0.250Mh/s)
TBX->BTC is pretty decent right now and at 130w compared to 400w+ for 820Mh, it's not so bad. BTC on the other hand...

Anyone else on SimpleCoin have their hash drop to 0?

All my miners on BTC and GG are all reporting connection Issues

Edit: TBX seems to still be going fine
Edit2: Correction, only 1 of my TBX miners is working, but its also pointing to SC by IP an not DNS..

If you wanna get your stuff running right now, switch over to 74.117.62.208:8967

Last edited:
Anyone else on SimpleCoin have their hash drop to 0?

All my miners on BTC and GG are all reporting connection Issues

Edit: TBX seems to still be going fine
Edit2: Correction, only 1 of my TBX miners is working, but its also pointing to SC by IP an not DNS..

If you wanna get your stuff running right now, switch over to 74.117.62.208:8967

The pushpool server for proportional scoring went to 100%. I didn't get an alert for some odd reason. I've fixed it for now and am looking into the monitor and watching closely.

If you have any more issues, please let me know.

TBX is supposed to be "CPU only" (GPU hostile)! But, you can use GPU's with about a 99.8% decrease in hashrate. (One of my 1Gh machines mine @0.250Mh/s)
TBX->BTC is pretty decent right now and at 130w compared to 400w+ for 820Mh, it's not so bad. BTC on the other hand...

How were you able to get it to run on a GPU? I don't see any way to customize or force it on a device.

How were you able to get it to run on a GPU? I don't see any way to customize or force it on a device.

I just pointed my worker on SC! It registered as .250-.310Mh/s on the pool stats, though I don't know if the shares were valid. It showed >10% total pool shares, but I wasn't getting paid for them so, they may have been rejected. IDK!

I just pointed my worker on SC! It registered as .250-.310Mh/s on the pool stats, though I don't know if the shares were valid. It showed >10% total pool shares, but I wasn't getting paid for them so, they may have been rejected. IDK!

So you used Phoenix/CGMiner and just pointed it at a TBX worker? Does that actually work? It seems like it wouldn't properly calculate the hashes.

So you used Phoenix/CGMiner and just pointed it at a TBX worker? Does that actually work? It seems like it wouldn't properly calculate the hashes.

CGminer pointed at simplecoin pool, then the individual worker at the TBX pool.
Like i said, it may have only produced invalids. I don't know for sure. tsd said invalids are still counted toward hashrate, but not payout!
That's why I just solo with my 930, C2Q, and a 2630!

CGminer pointed at simplecoin pool, then the individual worker at the TBX pool.
Like i said, it may have only produced invalids. I don't know for sure. tsd said invalids are still counted toward hashrate, but not payout!
That's why I just solo with my 930, C2Q, and a 2630!

Yep, if you point anything but minerd or an scrypt miner at tbx it's going to be invalid.

Sorry for the outage, but I had to turn on merged mining sometime :D

What exactly is merged mining?
I see im now accumulating NMC along with BTC..
How does that work?

To put it very simply, your mining results now hit 2 chains. So NMC & BTC will be mined at the same time. So both will be accumulated as blocks are found for each.

To put it very simply, your mining results now hit 2 chains. So NMC & BTC will be mined at the same time. So both will be accumulated as blocks are found for each.

To put it very simply.
That = Awesome! :D

Not gonna lie man.. You are very quickly ending up with a badass pool in comparison to all the others.. Just needs to gain some popularity/Ghashes
Hope this turns out to be a very worthwhile venture for you..

To put it very simply.
That = Awesome! :D

Not gonna lie man.. You are very quickly ending up with a badass pool in comparison to all the others.. Just needs to gain some popularity/Ghashes
Hope this turns out to be a very worthwhile venture for you..

Thank you. Just last week (thanks to gg/tbx), the servers started to reach the breakeven point. If the Gh's continue to build I'll add yet another server or two to handle the load (it's still painfully low now).

I'm still working to get PoolServerJ configured to my taste, and plan on moving to it to make the pool reject rate lower and long-polling even faster.

Merged mining is running nicely! Found 3 blocks and the overall hashrate has reached 90GH! (75-80 now)

I need some help getting my last card up and running..

I've got an Asus M3n78-vm with 1 x16 and 1 x1 PCIe slot. I can't get the x1 slot working and I remember reading about a mod that some MB's needed to get the x1 slot to work. You connect two of the pins together and it will see the card, but I can't remember which pins to connect...

*edit* Finally my GoogleFu came through

http://blog.zorinaq.com/?e=42

the other day my surge protector melted onto my extension cord and fried my harddrive on my biggest mining machine. Great!

Remember to check your power connections to make sure there isn't too much resistance or heat building up somewhere that you didn't think of before. One of my 1 kilowatt machines did this and the connection between the power bar and the heavy duty outdoor extension cord started arcing.

the other day my surge protector melted onto my extension cord and fried my harddrive on my biggest mining machine. Great!

Remember to check your power connections to make sure there isn't too much resistance or heat building up somewhere that you didn't think of before. One of my 1 kilowatt machines did this and the connection between the power bar and the heavy duty outdoor extension cord started arcing.

Heh! I fried my Kill a Watt!

"The wires are tangled in the most flammable of ways!"

The power should NEVER arc more than once.. If it did, you either dont have a fuse, or its fucked..

My close call wasnt anywhere near that bad, it was just due to an old SP not rated for 15A, so I dropped it and got a 25A rated SP and I connect each Pair of Rig to a dedicated 20A line, and Keep powder based extinguisher nearby both..

If you have pics of your metldown, put em up here

http://www.bitcoinminingaccidents.com/

EDIT: I just found out I did need to use port 8337. DOH! *SMACKS HEAD*

Anyone using Ubuntu 11.04 or 11.10 64bit to mine TBX? I get everything installed and can mine solo, but when I try to mine at solidcoin I get this:

Code:
[2011-10-10 17:34:51] HTTP request failed: The requested URL returned error: 403
[2011-10-10 17:34:51] json_rpc_call failed, retry after 30 seconds

There is no firewall that I know of in the default Ubuntu install and all of my Windows TBX and bitcoin clients have no problem talking to solidcoin.us so I know its not my router/fw.

I know I am missing something stupid but for the life of me I cannot figure it out.

Here is the command I am using:

Code:
sudo ./minerd --algo scrypt --scan 5 --threads 8 --url http://pool.simplecoin.us --userpass (blanked):(blanked)

I tried using port 8697 and 8976 as well ( saw them in a thread somewhere on bitcointalk ), but the Windows clients don't seem to need a port number. Someone school me please :)

Last edited:
Back