Black Ops PC + Dual Core: Is it a bad combination?

I3eyond

Gawd
I've done a little research and it seems this game wants a quad core.

Does it want a quad core as badly as BFBC2?

Or, will I be fine with my E6600?

Its an older engine that has little to no destructive environments, dual core should be more than enough.

Its an older engine that has little to no destructive environments, dual core should be more than enough.

Dual cores should be, but there are many many post about poor performance on them. There's supposedly a tweak you can do to the config file to enable mult-threading which seems turned off by default. I don't personally have a dual-core at hand to test to see if it works or not.

Is this for real? Doesn't make any sense to me. My friend has a Phenom II x2 555 completely stock freq and still core locked and he's complaining about chopiness. However black ops is still basically on the cod 4 engine and directx 9. No multi-threading that I'm aware off. Why would it perform badly on dual core. Wierd

There's definitely something wrong with the game. It has the potential to run fine due to the constant 90fps most of the time, but it drops down to 45 every 3-4 seconds no matter if I'm in the middle of Hiroshima or staring at a wall. This is with the specs in my sig: Core 2 Duo/4870

I've noticed on my quad-core, it is using between 25-30% on all four cores. On my bro-in-law's 3GHz Core 2 Duo dual-core, both cores are maxxed out at 100%.

I've noticed on my quad-core, it is using between 25-30% on all four cores. On my bro-in-law's 3GHz Core 2 Duo dual-core, both cores are maxxed out at 100%.

Hmmm, 30*4<100*2. So, by my reasoning, your bro-in-law's dual-core computer is pulling this game with twice the horses.

I've had nothing but smooth sailing since day one as far as the graphical performance/fluidity go. I have not monitored my framerate much since launch day but I usually received between 85-125 a majority of the time and when there was lots of smoke/shooting etc going on dips to near 60 but it never feels slow or choppy. The serverside lag on the other hand was not so pleasant and I'm glad to see that they've finally resolved it, at least for me.\

EDIT: I'll monitor my CPU/GPU usage tonight while playing.

I've had nothing but smooth sailing since day one as far as the graphical performance/fluidity go. I have not monitored my framerate much since launch day but I usually received between 85-125 a majority of the time and when there was lots of smoke/shooting etc going on dips to near 60 but it never feels slow or choppy. The serverside lag on the other hand was not so pleasant and I'm glad to see that they've finally resolved it, at least for me.\

EDIT: I'll monitor my CPU/GPU usage tonight while playing.

I wish I had your frame rates. I get a max of 60FPS and average around 45FPS. I find that a little hard to swallow.

but it's not though.

My c2d runs at 100% for the most part. For amd dual cores don't even meet the recommended min requirements for this game.

This game does favor quads vs duals from what i've read from users on Hard and steam forums.

I've done a little research and it seems this game wants a quad core.

Does it want a quad core as badly as BFBC2?

Or, will I be fine with my E6600?

try it out. Only way to know for sure :)

When I first installed BO, it was only using 1 core on my q6600. I edited the games config file and set it up to use multithreading, now it uses anywhere from 20% to 80-90% of every core (closer to the high side of that most of the time).

With that said, I'm willing to bet that a dual core will get the job done, but you'd probably be much better off with 4 cores.

It's a poorly optimized game at least the pc version is. It's not BFBC2 , it doesn't have the same physics processing. Treyarch knows this though and I'm sure they're working on it.

No issues on my setup. Still have not tried any of the MP though...

E8400 @ 3.6ghz and I have no issues. Sits at 70-90% usage during game.

I wish I had your frame rates. I get a max of 60FPS and average around 45FPS. I find that a little hard to swallow.

I see about 65-70% and/or 80-85% useage on my CPU with nothing but windows processes, MSE v2 and Black Ops running and about 2.85gb of memory usage. Depends on the server load it seems.

That's running 1920x1080 Max 4xaa/16xaf.

Are you sure you have vsync turned off? I think the stock com_maxfps is set to 85, I boosted mine to 125 but the first few games I played vsync was on, even though I had it forced off via CCC.

I'm running a e5200 at 3.75ghz and framerates are fine the majority of the time except I get stutter that seems to happen with certain sounds like my onboard sound card is causeing lag... its real bad if I plug in my USB headphones. Considering installing a 24bit soundblastrr I have to see if that helps.

Back