Black screen after bios - help needed

Devilpup

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm reaching for outside help on this because I am thoroughly confused at this point. I had a XP 3400+ system running Win XP in my box before I moved it to a new chassis. Now the system will not post past the bios screen. The system will get post then get to "verifying dmi data" (or whatever that line is, cannot remember off the top of my head) and then it will hang.

Initially I thought the hard drive might have gone out so I tried to boot from the win xp cd. I can get past the dmi data and where it says "press any key to boot from cd". I press a key and then it goes to a black screen, no cursor or anything on the screen.

I have 2 hard drives and a cd drive in the system, it was running fine before the move. I tried unplugging each of the devices and it still will not load past the black screen.

Any ideas on what might be the problem or what I can do to further trouble shoot this? I was looking to upgrade my main system when BD comes out (either intel or BD, whichever is better) but I'd rather not have to layout the cash so soon. The specs for the system are as follows:

AMD 3400+ proc
1.5gb ddr2
ATI 4870
wd raptor boot drive
maxtor 300gb storage drive

What about the power supply? What is the make and model of the PSU? How old is it?

There's a good chance that your new case may be shorting the board. Do you have any loose screws or a misplaced header somewhere? Have you tried using the paper washers to see whether or not the problem lies with the case and not the board?

Have you tried running the motherboard on top of some cardboard?

The PSU is a PCP&C Turbo-Cool 510 that's about 5 years old now I guess. I suspected the PSU, but again it was working fine previously.

After leaving it running last night waiting to see if it would load past post I am starting to suspect that something is shorting out. The whole comp generated a ton of heat, with the system temp reaching up to 65*C and the case itself becoming very hot. Once I get some more time I'm gonna have to just rip the whole thing down and reseat everything. It's just overall puzzling because I had another system in that case too while I was overseas and did not have any problems.

Have you tried resetting the cmos? Using the cmos reset jumpers or pulling the battery, unplugging the psu, and cycling the power switch can accomplish that.

This happened to me a couple years ago and to my dad a couple months ago. In both cases the OS had crapped out and once I reinstalled the OS, everything was fine and still going in both. Mine was XP and my dads was Vista.

Back