Blackberry Storm

Eibach

Limp Gawd
Hey guys I have had my current phone for 2 years now and need to upgrade. I have never owned a blackberry before nor have i owned a touch screen. I was wondering if you think my first one should be the storm? I have done some research about it and it sounds pretty good, very comparable to the G1 and IPhone. any comments??

I'm STOKED about this phone. I already made plans with my co-worker. We WILL be camping out in the early AM for it. I cannot wait for the phone to be released. I already ordered the Invisible Shield for it! I was playing with my cousins dare today and for the first time used MobileIM. I though it was so cool, that I sat at my desk, sending myself messages from the phone to the PC. I just couldn't stop typing on the QWERTY keyboard! Coming from a Gen2 Chocolate...there's a HUGE difference!

It will be my first blackberry as well though. I say go for it!

I will say that touch screens are not for everyone. Some people love them, some people hate them. Personally, I do not like them. It just doesn't seem as if they're ever calibrated properly to me. I'd say go ahead and play with one first, then make your decision. That's always the best thing to do anyways.

I do love blackberry though. I'm not sure if they would get it right... but here's to hoping. Would be nice if the phone came to other carriers as I really HATE verizon.

you have 30 days depending on where you get it from. but yeah, it's always good to be able to have that. Once you guys do get your storms, do make sure to post some reviews.

the phone looks perfect, but some people are saying the clickscreen needs too much force to enjoy its use. but usually those sort of complaints are meaningless.... i really want to try this phone out.

I wonder if it will be on ebay for 2x retail...I am going to wait for after christmas to find a deal.

Played around with this today in store :( what a disappointment :(

indeed. i'd like to hear about it. i ordered my bold and am still waiting for them to port my number over and ship it out to me :(

Ok, I've been following this phone for about 4 months now and here's my take. You absolutely have to go in to this store and try it. Also worth noting, due to extremely high demand all purchases made between Nov. 16th and Dec 15th can be returned until Jan 15th as opposed to the normal 30 days.

The reviews have been all over the place. If you have ever thought about getting this phone do yourself a favor and go try it in person (whenever they get more in). The BGR review I think was the most even handed, the Time and CNET reviews were absolute hit jobs in my opinion, Engadget is apparently bipolar (last week they loved surepress, now its the worst part of the phone), and of course Crackberry.com and other fan sites are inside the BlackBerry reality distortion field.

I wasn't able to get a Storm today because stupid me I went after work instead of taking the day off, but a VZW employee did let me play with his Storm for a bit and I have to say it was good enough that I'm definetly grabbing one, and if after some solid quality time with it, it doesn't pan out I'll probably return it and get a curve instead I think I'm gonna like this phone though.

I was playing with my cousins dare today and for the first time used MobileIM. I though it was so cool....

Smartphones are even better because you don't need to use Mobile IM (unfortunetly mobile IM uses text messages). It is better to you the native blackberry AIM or get a thirdparty like JiveTalk both of which use Data and not SMS.

Smartphones are even better because you don't need to use Mobile IM (unfortunetly mobile IM uses text messages). It is better to you the native blackberry AIM or get a thirdparty like JiveTalk both of which use Data and not SMS.

Wait so I could text people using a blackberry without Verizon charging me for it but they demand you get a data plan? Or am I wrong ?
I just want a Blackberry with a decent payment. The fact Verizon makes you get a data plan is not cool with me. I want songs for free(Check), pictures for free(Check), and texting for free:)() ...

/ stop rant

Wait so I could text people using a blackberry without Verizon charging me for it but they demand you get a data plan? Or am I wrong ?
I just want a Blackberry with a decent payment. The fact Verizon makes you get a data plan is not cool with me. I want songs for free(Check), pictures for free(Check), and texting for free:)() ...

/ stop rant

Kinda confused why you would get a blackberry without a data plan? Everything on the phone uses data, except calling and texting. To answer your question, no. SMS works the same on a blackberry as it does on other phones. What I was pointing out though is that Verizons Mobile IM uses SMS to send your chat message (thus you are billed a text message for every IM you send and receive). If you download Blackberry AIM or some other AIM client for blackberry, it will use data (like every other app) instead of SMS to send your chats. As you are required to have a data plan on a blackberry this is preferable.

The cheapest blackberry plan you can run is 39.99 voice + 29.99 data neither includes texting which would be pay per message unless you added a texting package. You can get around this by using email instead of SMS as you can send an email in lieu of an SMS by using the various SMS<->email bridges (i.e. <phonenumber>@vtext.com for verizon customers). I don't text very often, but when I have to I do it using this method so I dont' have to pay for it.

Care to elaborate?

i fooled with one today at CC. I wouldn't say disappointment. It had a great screen nice layout and was fast. The thing that was (kinda) a let down was the clicking screen. It worked and helps to give feel to what you were touching. Basically the whole screen goes down and clicks with the slightest pressure no matter where you touch. Its a bit odd but if you can ignore its pretty much intuitive.

Kinda confused why you would get a blackberry without a data plan? Everything on the phone uses data, except calling and texting. To answer your question, no. SMS works the same on a blackberry as it does on other phones. What I was pointing out though is that Verizons Mobile IM uses SMS to send your chat message (thus you are billed a text message for every IM you send and receive). If you download Blackberry AIM or some other AIM client for blackberry, it will use data (like every other app) instead of SMS to send your chats. As you are required to have a data plan on a blackberry this is preferable.

The cheapest blackberry plan you can run is 39.99 voice + 29.99 data neither includes texting which would be pay per message unless you added a texting package. You can get around this by using email instead of SMS as you can send an email in lieu of an SMS by using the various SMS<->email bridges (i.e. <phonenumber>@vtext.com for verizon customers). I don't text very often, but when I have to I do it using this method so I dont' have to pay for it.

I know it doesn't make much sense but I'm cheap and yet I still crave a Blackberry Storm or a Bold if I currently wasn't on a Verizon plan. I also get 19% off my plan for a company I work for. It just irritates me how companies like Verizon gimp phones and then charge you for using their features their way. I love to find work a rounds. like free speed from an OC. I just love it.:D So I want a Blackberry but don't want data plan. I guess it's not gonna happen though...:(

Bought one today after work. This is about about the fifth "smartphone" I've had...never had an iphone though...I am pleased so far after playing around with it for the last 6 hours or so.

I know it doesn't make much sense but I'm cheap and yet I still crave a Blackberry Storm or a Bold if I currently wasn't on a Verizon plan. I also get 19% off my plan for a company I work for. It just irritates me how companies like Verizon gimp phones and then charge you for using their features their way. I love to find work a rounds. like free speed from an OC. I just love it.:D So I want a Blackberry but don't want data plan. I guess it's not gonna happen though...:(

you can get a blackberry and then cancel the data plan... they aren't NECESSARY... but often they are required in order to qualify for rebates. Although I must say having a blackberry without a data plan is pretty much pointless.

Well I just ordered one, the place that I went to only had 10 :/ The VZW guy told me the latest it would ship out was Dec. 5th, and now I'm hearing it won't ship out until at least Dec 5th. And to make it worse, there are rumors that it will actually be Dec 15!!! Talk about low supply. It seems they had an OS snafu and all launch phones are being reverted to an older OS (people are finding old version stickers covering up the new version numbers). To me, I think a smarter decision would be to delay the launch, and now they have Wii-type supply and demand. Sigh, and I was all ready to ditch my original Cingular RAZR.

Got mine in the morning, played with it all day, the screen takes some getting use to, but I like it. The copy and paste function is a bit combersum, but the media play back is great. I really like this phone only thing I wish it had was the inertia scrolling that the Iphone has.

you can get a blackberry and then cancel the data plan... they aren't NECESSARY... but often they are required in order to qualify for rebates. Although I must say having a blackberry without a data plan is pretty much pointless.

No you can't, not anymore. This point has been discussed ad nauseum on various mobile device forums. You cannot activate a blackberry on VZW without a data plan, and the system will not allow you to remove a data plan from an active blackberry.

Originally posted by devman
No you can't, not anymore. This point has been discussed ad nauseum on various mobile device forums. You cannot activate a blackberry on VZW without a data plan, and the system will not allow you to remove a data plan from an active blackberry.

I thought so. Also, almost $80 a month for a cell phone bill is too much for me. I'm a cheap bastard.

Well to make it easier for me to swallow, my Storm will be with a family share plan so it tacked on another 30 bucks to our plan (I'm the only person with data). I don't even use minutes all that much and the person I talk to the most is on Verizon anyways. I would love to have tethering but 5GB for 30 bucks is a rip.

If the Storm had Wi-Fi, I'd probably reconsider the data plan since I spend most of my time on campus (free wifi) or at work (also free wifi), which probably means I should've gotten a phone with wi-fi but I was pretty dead set on the Storm plus I had to be with VZW.

how's the sure touch screen, and whats it like ( coming from an iphone 1st gen owner)

maybe not with verizon, but you most certainly can do it with other carriers.

Just got back from playing with it at a Verizon store, said they had 34 come in and all were accounted for.

Mini review.. awesome phone, the txting would def. take some time to get used to but I like it a lot more then the iPhone. I really do like having to press down to actually get it to do something. The iPhone I have screwed up too many times hitting the wrong thing then back out then trying to hit the right thing. Could be a bit snappier but its within reason. It wasnt activated yet so couldnt screw with the browser, but man it almosts make me want to start paying for a phone again or find a way to convince my company to let me buy one. Also its a bit smaller then my current 8830.

I went this morning and got my order in at the store, who knows when I'll get it. I played with the floor model for about 30 minutes. I really liked it, it was rough around the edges at some points but most of the minor irritations seem to be all things that can (and hopefully will) be fixed with software updates. I'll give it the 30 day try and see then, but I think I'm gonna like this phone a lot.

I'll post a better review a bit later, but I got the phone yesterday morning. Yesterday, I played with it for like 20 minutes, and I LIKED the phone. Today I played with it for about 6 hours and I now LOVE this phone. Honestly, the iPhone can kiss my ass. No need to jump carriers, especially when AT&T doesn't have 3G where I am.

However, for those complaining about screen lag...Go to:

Options > Screen/Keyboard

Set the Tap interval to 200 or lower. Set the hover to 100 if it isn't already, and set the sensitivity to 6 (High). BIG difference.

Also, when the keyboard is on screen, swipe your finger from the top of the keyboard down to the bottom. It hides the keyboard. Want to bring it back up? Swipe from the bottom nav bar, upwards. This way, you don't have to use the blackberry shortcut menu, which takes longer.

Hold in the blackberry/app button for 2-3 seconds, and it brings up the applicaiton switcher so you can quickly multitask between apps.

Touch (don't click) and hold an email or SMS/MMS message, and it will search for all messages (missed calls, voicemails, texts, emails) sent by the same person.

To correct a word in the middle of a sentence. touch (don't click) and hold near the sentence where you made an error, and your blue cursor changes to a black box. Slide the box to the letter you need to correct.

With a SMS/MMS or email message open, swipe left to right or right to left to go to previous or the next conversation/message. Just so you know, text messages ARE threaded!

I'll post up more with my review, including the annoyances, because yes...there are some

Oh and, the surepress idea (clickable touchscreen) is amazing. Much better typing experience then the iPod Touch/iPhone. Multimedia playback is insane. Video is amazing, the external sound speaker is amazingly good for it's size. The camera is lacking in functionality. When you get the perfect conditions, the quality is good. But there IS a lag to snap the picture, so motion blur is a problem. Hopefully this will be fixed in an update.

I was cautiously optimistic that Verizon would learn from Apple's mistakes with the iPhone launches (stupid, I know). So anyway, I showed up at the Verizon store closest to me at 7:30A thinking that I could wait for 30 minutes. I didn't really know what to expect. Apparently people had lined up at 5:45A according to the store manager. Anyway, it turns out I was one person shy of their last Storm. So they offered to overnight ship one to me, and it would arrive on Saturday. They also waived to mail-in rebate and made it an instant rebate. I was satisfied with that, I figured I could wait a day, no big deal. So last night, Friday, I got the tracking email from Fedex and it showed Monday delivery. So I called and was told that since they had to ship so many that the shipping got changed to standard overnight, instead of Saturday delivery. (Lie #1) So I looked at the receipt and of course it showed standard overnight; wish I would have caught that at the store, as I do quite a bit over overnight shipping at work and I know that method of shipping does not do Saturday delivery by default. So finally, after a few more minutes of BS from the lady at the store, I asked her how many phones they actually had on hand for the launch. She said 10 or 11 phones. FREAKIN' 10 PHONES! I live in Houston, a city of millions, with more than 40 stores. Working on large assumptions here, that makes approximately 500 phones in a city of over 2 million. But hey, lets be generous and say 1000 phones. Why can't these cell companies have some common sense and get something right. How much good PR would they get if they actually stood by what they tell customers. How hard is it to see that they could have had a ton or PR by learning from Apple's mistakes? How hard is it to really launch a phone? Let's see - a good experience for the customers, plenty of stock, let's not forget a good product. Is that really that hard?

End Rant

They only got 10 phones because of a software debacle. All of the Verizon phones had 4.7.0.82 on the phones. Just before shipping the phones, a security flaw was found in that OS version. All the phones had to be downgraded to 4.7.0.65. Apparently that takes time and thus the reason why so little phones went out. Nobody will now be getting the phones until at least December 5th, most however having to wait until December 15th.

Well I ordered mine... hopefully it will arrive pretty soon here. They expedited the shipping and put a rush on it for me. There were some problems with ordering that they made up for with the expedited shipping. I'll keep you all informed!

I have used and played around with two of them at work the day they were launched, and it seems like a really nice phone. Very solid feeling and has a really big screen without making the phone too bulky..

I'll post a better review a bit later, but I got the phone yesterday morning. Yesterday, I played with it for like 20 minutes, and I LIKED the phone. Today I played with it for about 6 hours and I now LOVE this phone. Honestly, the iPhone can kiss my ass. No need to jump carriers, especially when AT&T doesn't have 3G where I am.

However, for those complaining about screen lag...Go to:

Options > Screen/Keyboard

Set the Tap interval to 200 or lower. Set the hover to 100 if it isn't already, and set the sensitivity to 6 (High). BIG difference.

Also, when the keyboard is on screen, swipe your finger from the top of the keyboard down to the bottom. It hides the keyboard. Want to bring it back up? Swipe from the bottom nav bar, upwards. This way, you don't have to use the blackberry shortcut menu, which takes longer.

Hold in the blackberry/app button for 2-3 seconds, and it brings up the applicaiton switcher so you can quickly multitask between apps.

Touch (don't click) and hold an email or SMS/MMS message, and it will search for all messages (missed calls, voicemails, texts, emails) sent by the same person.

To correct a word in the middle of a sentence. touch (don't click) and hold near the sentence where you made an error, and your blue cursor changes to a black box. Slide the box to the letter you need to correct.

With a SMS/MMS or email message open, swipe left to right or right to left to go to previous or the next conversation/message. Just so you know, text messages ARE threaded!

I'll post up more with my review, including the annoyances, because yes...there are some

Oh and, the surepress idea (clickable touchscreen) is amazing. Much better typing experience then the iPod Touch/iPhone. Multimedia playback is insane. Video is amazing, the external sound speaker is amazingly good for it's size. The camera is lacking in functionality. When you get the perfect conditions, the quality is good. But there IS a lag to snap the picture, so motion blur is a problem. Hopefully this will be fixed in an update.

Didnt know that about the keyboard thanks

My store got 20 (indirect location) and we did a deposit preorder style. We had 30 people put deposits are my store alone. About 400 for my company of 8 stores. Verizon would only let my company buy 250 phones and they were "sold out" in the midwest with no news when we can order more.

This is 3rd hand information from the companies owners, there might have been an update they havnt emailed out to the salespeople yet.

But after playing with the phone and activated quite a few the main thing i really like about the phone that I havn't seen in touchscreen phones before is the 2 stage clicking(for lack of better words). You get to see exactly what you are clicking before you commit to actually clicking it. I have very large fingers and this has always been a problem for me and why I never would even consider a touchscreen before this phone.

I'm still in college but once I graduate and I get a few paycheck from a real job this is the next phone I want. I'm currently on a family plan that my mom and dad have and someone stole my Samsung Sync this summer and my insurance had been used within a year of it happening so I was forced to buy a 14 dollar gophone (Because of money issues) which I am currently using. Good lord I can't wait to get rid of this crappy phone. It doesn't have a camera or bluetooth for peats sake!

Didnt know that about the keyboard thanks

You got it, bud.

Question...do you guys mind if I did a video review rather then a write up? Video review is faster and makes it easier to explain since you actually get to see it in action :D

i went to verizon tonight to test one out. I did like the having the tactile feedback while typing. I don't know if it was the floor models or what, but rotating the screen seemed to take a while and sometimes it just wouldn't flip. also, some things felt a bit sluggish. i know people had complained about some of the sluggish response, but this was long delays. when i hit the button to get into the media, it took almost 5 seconds to get into there. whats the deal with this?

Christ you guys really don't need the latest and greatest i'm content with my 3 year old nokia

here is a bunch of tips and tricks

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/ultimate-official-tips-tricks-only-100612/

-hammerfan-
if you are in email, and you hold your finger on the screen on a particular email ( not pressing the screen just touching it) it brings up all the emails you have had with the reciepent!

-turtzilla-
U can number lock by holding the key down....

-pastorhudson-
When your in "Lock" mode hold down the mute key to toggle to vibrate profile and back.

Holding down the Blackberry Menu button brings up the app switcher.

when the keyboard is up swipe your finger down across the keyboard to make it disappear, repeat opposite to make it appear.

Just noticed that if I touch(not click) a message and hold my finger there it will do a search for messages with the same subject. An interesting way to filter your message list.

-lotusberry-
1. Touch the sentence you want to change and hold your finger there (don't click!).
2. The cursor will turn from a solid blue to just an outline of a rectangle.
3. Then just slide your finger in either direction and you can place the cursor exactly where you want it.
-nick125-
I fond this neat thing while viewing a message. If you swipe to the right while viewing a message, it will take you back to the message list.

-mimspkt-
Double click the menu button and it will either open, reply or send a message.

-joshtbuff-
Clicking the menu button brings up the menu screen and pressing again
Chooses. I wish you could hit the menu button to save changes.

Also swiping left or right while viewing messa
ges goes to previous or next.

-dmglakewood-
If you don't like viewing websites in the mobile versions then do the steps below. This will ensure you that you will never see the mobile version of a website.

Go to
Browser>Menu Key>Options>Browser Configuration>Browser Identification>

Set this to either Firefox or Internet Explorer. Now every website will think you're a pc rather then a phone. This trick is also good for online banking that requires a certain browser etc.

I have the left side button set to display my text messages which saves a lot of time when you're using another application and you get a text. Just click that button and there it is. Here is how you do it

Easy way to transfer Audio/Video files

Okay I found this to be the easiest way to transfer media onto the storm

Windows Xp
1. Make sure you have installed the Blackberry User Tools disc
2. Double click on My Computer
3. Double click on BlackBerry 9530
4. Double click on Media Card
5. You can either drag all your media into this folder or create a new folder for your media. I created two folders one for music and one for movies.

Windows Vista
1. Make sure you have installed the Blackberry User Tools disc
2. Double click on Computer
3. Double click on BlackBerry 9530
4. Double click on Media Card
5. You can either drag all your media into this folder or create a new folder for your media. I created two folders one for music and one for movies.

Once the copying is complete just click on Media on your phone and it should all be there.

Options>Screen/Keyboard>LEft Side Convenience Key Opens:

Set this option to SMS And MMS

Okay another new one...while playing an mp3 you can use the volume on the side to control volume but if you hold it down it will switch songa.

-hal1-
Once somethiong is hightlighted you can often you can often press anywhere on teh screen to click.

return button acts as an enter button in many applications/screens

-sooks-
if you want to delete all sms then click the top one with one finger hold down .. not click and then click the end of the list of sms and then menu delete.

-c0mf0rt-
Just realized if you turn it to the landscape menu and hit the blackberry key twice it will let you change the placement of the icons.

-mickyb23uk-
When using the Camera, slide you finger from bottom > top to zoom IN and from top > bottom to zoom out

-bigvdawgy-
To get the Event Log (when you want to do some memory clean up) you do the similar ALT LGLG command from the keyboard bb's but it ends up being:
!?123 "
!?123 /
!?123 "
!?123 /

Also, technique I learned to improve typing accuracy and speed, when using the QWERTY keyboard with two hands, you need to be sure to restrict the left thumb for the left side of the keyboard and the right thumb for the right side of the keyboard. If you try to hit a button on the right side of the keyboard with the left thumb you will make a mistake almost every time.

-kholdstare-
Well, when i was playing with the Demo unit and if you PW's that have numbers in them a lot. I found out if you hold down ?!123 key in portrait/landscape mode for a couple of seconds it will number lock the keyboard. So you'll be able to use the numbers with out hitting it over and over again

-durangojim-
Didn't see this mentioned, but if you're in the browser and you tap the screen without "surepressing" or clicking it will either hide the zoom/column view/pointer buttons at the bottom or make them visible.

-goathog02-
Another tips while browsing the web, 2x tap the screen will zoom in. To zoom out, hit the bb escape button

-imann101-
BEDSIDE MODE!

I love this feature. When you plug in the phone it automatically goes into one of the three different clock settings. If you have it near your bed at night go into the clock > menu button > bedside mode

What this does is dim the screen, and stop the led from blinking. You can even have it turn off the radio. This means no annoying blinking lights at night!

Just make sure you turn it off in the morning or else it won't blink even if you exit out of the clock

Get over the air updates *WHEN AVAILABLE.*

some phones have the wireless update option in advances options, if not, do this:

options > advanced options > service book > hover* over 'provisioning [otasl]' > menu key > delete >menu key > undelete

repeat that a few times then go to the home screen again then options > advanced options and there should be a new thing that says wireless upgrade at the bottom

obviously no upgrades yet, but at least you know you can do it OTA

-ricky_ifa-
If wen u have finished typing your message u can swipe down on the key board u can then just
Press the send button to send. No more pressing menu then pressing send. One swift movement

-filirican-
Well guys i wanted to chime in my two cents.

I found out a way to change the grid layout when you access the main menu. You can change it to 4x4, 3x3, 2x2, or 1x1. To access the change you go to menu>options>advanced options>accessibitlity>grid layout.

while your at it you can try changing the color contrast. if you do reverse contrast your main menu will be white or black with yellow.

have fun and bring in more tips guys.

-gpcaptmandrake-
Hey I just found one... to get album art to appear on the device in media player, make sure that when you add the art in Roxio you have embed data in file box checked. Works like a charm.

-justingrant-
Press the call button twice, it will bring up last number called. Hold it down it will bring up the contact list. Does anyone know how to quickly bring up the call log?

i went to verizon tonight to test one out. I did like the having the tactile feedback while typing. I don't know if it was the floor models or what, but rotating the screen seemed to take a while and sometimes it just wouldn't flip. also, some things felt a bit sluggish. i know people had complained about some of the sluggish response, but this was long delays. when i hit the button to get into the media, it took almost 5 seconds to get into there. whats the deal with this?

I experienced the same when I went to order mine yesterday. It's probably (hopefully) just because it's a floor unit and everyone that has been in the store has been messing around with it. I still ordered mine, which they said would ship on 12/5. Ouch.

Back