Votes: 15 16.7%
  • No—I do not

Votes: 60 66.7%
  • Some—I only use part

Votes: 15 16.7%

• Total voters

GreNME

2[H]4U
Just to be clear, I'm talking about the service disabling.

For a "yes" answer, this would include any of his different variations of "safety" lists. If you vote "some," I would appreciate a list of ones you did disable. If yes, feel free to tell which version list you used.

I promise no attacks from me for using them in this thread. I make my opinion known well enough that anyone who reads regularly will already know, but that's not what this is about. I want to gather information. Feed me data, guys, not opinions or feelings or whether you think it works better for you or not.

Once bitten, twice shy.

If I decided to disable a service I wouldn't use that site as a ref., so the 'some' option doesn't really cut it for me, so I picked none.

I do all my service enabling/disabling on my own now, but I had a system running with what I think was the settings listed under "gaming" for 2 years without a problem.

I voted no. I've read his stuff, but never followed his "guides." Even before I found that crap, I just read the description of the service and disabled the ones I know I don't need. I experimented with some others to see if I need them or not. For example, I don't have a printer attached to this computer, so I disable print spooler.

Alot of the services that are in automatic by default can be placed in manual and they will start if/when needed. Such as help and support. I don't know why that one defaults to automatic. There's no point in leaving it running all the time, it will start up if you ever use the help function in windows.

I've beein using some of his tweaks for awhile now, done multiple reformats since then and still setup the same tweaks. I really dont have any problems, just forget to turn on print spooler from time to time when I print. I voted some.

:)

Can you guys give lists of what you do or have disabled from the base OS?

Not since my last build of XP. This time around I got smart, and just disabled the Messenger thats it.

Services I have disabled (I'd never heard of BlackViper before frequenting this forum):

Messenger
Remote Registry
Routing & Remote Access
UPnP
Wireless Zero Configuration
System Restore Service

This on XP Professional Service Pack 2

I've never liked system restore and just keep frequent backups - and haven't needed to use any of them. The ones I don't need (ie: Help, Print Spooler) I just place to Manual and forget about.

Services I've disabled:

Alerter
Clipbook
computer browser
Fast User Switching
messenger
network dde
network dde dsdm
routing and remote access
Secondary Logon
WinTools for IE (not really sure where that one came from..I'm sure spyware)

Generally I use viper as a semi-reference to tell me what the service is needed for. I've been running for about half a year now like this and no problems

Never touched it. I think the only service I've disabled is NetMeeting, cause I really need that.

jimnms said:
I voted no. I've read his stuff, but never followed his "guides." Even before I found that crap, I just read the description of the service and disabled the ones I know I don't need. I experimented with some others to see if I need them or not. For example, I don't have a printer attached to this computer, so I disable print spooler.

Alot of the services that are in automatic by default can be placed in manual and they will start if/when needed. Such as help and support. I don't know why that one defaults to automatic. There's no point in leaving it running all the time, it will start up if you ever use the help function in windows.
Wow, this really saved me a lot of typing...everything he said except Print Spooler. The only thing I'd add is that:
None of this applies at work/school.
None of this applies to a laptop that gets plugged in at work/school, even if it's your own.
None of this applies to a computer connected to a network that you don't administer.
Some of these services help on larger networks, and unless I had specific permission from an admin that it was Ok, I wouldn't mess witth it...it's their sandbox, and I'd just be playing in it. Admins have to make assumptions about the machines on their networks, and I wouldn't want to second guess them. That being said...

Alerter - Disabled
BITS - Manual
Clipbook - Disabled
Error Reporting Service - Disabled
Help and Support - Manual
Human Interface Device - Disabled (my Momo wheel works!)
Net Logon - Manual
Network DDE - Disabled
Network DDE DSDM - Disabled
Portable Media Serial Number Device - Disabled
Remote Registry - Disabled!
Routing and Remote Access - Disabled
Secondary Logon - Disabled on this machine, Automatic on 2 others so I can have "Run As"
Task Scheduler - Disabled
Telnet - Disabled
Themes - Disabled
Wireless Zero Configuration - Disabled

Never had any problems. This machine is now (it's a few years old) the most stable machine I or any of my buddies has ever seen. It took some time, messing with drivers and BIOS's, even had to swap out a bad stick of RAM. But now this thing does it all...DV video editing, gaming, surfing, watching TV, burn DVD's...everything i need it to, and never a hiccup. But it's getting a bit "behind the times" (it's a 1.4GHz)...it's getting to be time for a new one. Dual opteron SLI?
Cool thread, BTW!

I leave everything as is now and my machine flys.

back say, 2 years ago I was 'tweaking' XP disableing services, chainge some regestry settings like paging exectuives and it gave me nothing but trouble and the machine as a whole seemd less responsive.

If you have a good computer... just leave everything as is.

i used to do it with windows 2000 and xp, but every since sp2 came out i dont want to try anything cause theres alot more services in there now.

I voted NO.

Most of the so called "tweaks" out there are complete BS. If they improved performance in any way they would be enabled by default. Just search some of those regsitry settings on MS' site, you'll find some work only on Win9x or NT4 (and even then do not improve performance), should only be enabled in special cases, or don't exist at all.

There is no "MakeWindozeSuparFast" setting. It simply does not exist.

A unused service does not take up resources and thus does not impact system performance. Thus disabling it does nothing.

My current Windows XP Pro install is over a year old, with everything left as is. It is as stable and runs as good as the day it was installed. And I use it heavily.

From PSInfo:

Uptime: 47 days, 5 hours, 34 minutes
Install Date: 3/17/2003 12:18:03 AM

I also voted no.

I have never used quackviper and don't feel the need to. My system runs fast with all the default services on.

I have made profiles like he suggests on his site

but only 3

Safe tweak
Gaming

Safe Tweak is what he lists as safe and what I consider is safe to run - I develop in java and do other stuff so I cannot have anything fail because of a lousy dependenci.

Gaming (and Extreme tweak)
Anything not related to gaming is not running! gives my machine the power for almost running Doom 3 smooth

WinXP SP2 default servics running - no exceptions :)

The list of disabled services is to long to write - anybody know a way to easy get it printed like in the command prompt?

I only used some but then again I later made my own research and decided to do the following:

Disabled:
Alerter
ATI HotKey Poller
ClipBook
Creative Service for CDROM Access
Human Interface Device Access
Indexing Service
Messenger
Network DDE
Network DDE DSDM
Print Spooler
Routing and Remote Access
Themes
Universal Plug and Play Device Host
Windows User Mode Driver Framework
Wireless Zero Configuration

I made some stuff manual as I saw fit, I mostly left some to Automatic.

-J.

BlackViper doesnt seem trustable anymore. (if it ever was, maybe i have changed....)

For example, as someone stated in the forums, he copies exactly the same description that windows shows in services.msc, only adding some general unhelpful comment in the side...

The poll results are helpful, but I want lists of ones people have disabled as well as the simple numbers of people who use or don't use (or partially use) the site. Also, 65 votes isn't even representative of the [H] itself, let alone more users.

Here my list of disabled services:

Alerter
ClipBook
Human Interface Device Access
Messenger
Network DDE
Network DDE DSDM
Routing and Remote Access
SSDP Discovery Service
System Restore Service
Telnet

Hope it help :D

OldMX

OldMX said:
SSDP Discovery Service
on the first:
You dont have a router/nat with firewall right? Cause if you did, ssdp discovery service is really useful for automatic per app port mappings...

on the second
Im not really sure bout this one but, dont you have problems with flash drives? digital cams? webcams? etc...

This BlackViper disabling services issue has gone for a long time now...

Maybe if you people reading this post could vote and give us some facts about your experiences in disabling services, we could starting getting somewhere near settling it?

First those services are disabled by default, dont ask me how...i just disable ati hotkey poller, remote registry and messenger.

Second, i change services startup type to manual, i tweaked my services way long before BLKViper exist ;)

OldMX

I voted for 'some'. I personally don't go there any more, but I did when I first started learning more about the Windows os' and how to tweak them correctly.

Remember, working with your services is NOT only disabling services. Changing some to manual will work better for some services. That way they can be called when needed, but not start up automatically when not.

Blackvipers website is a starting point, nothing more. He did not pretend to invent anything (to my knowledge). He just helped in organizing the information with some added information for those looking to tweak more than the more conservative users would.

Are the gains made with service altering going to 'rock your world' or make your box like all super secure like fort knox? Of course not, but they can provide a tiny bit more of the piece of the tweaking puzzle all with 100% stability if you know what you are doing.

Same as overclocking. Can you make your system unstable by practicing it without knowing what you are doing? Yes. Can you help gain some performance (no matter how small the degree) and keeping complete stability? Definitely yes.

No one is advocating charging off and disabling services without knowing what you are doing. But learning more about the 'guts' of not only your hardware, but your software is most definitely [H]. So is finding your own personal limits of how far you want to go.

Back