Blank Screen help! AMD Phenom II X2 550 & GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P

vvilliamm

Gawd
I put together all my parts and when i turned it on i have an blank screen my case fans spins, GPU fan spins everything spins, i hear my hard drive running. but still blank screen. yes i did plug in the 8 pin (2x4 since i have an corsair psu) and the 24 pin onto the motherboard. i also cleared my cmos. but nothing works. i changed GPU cards to an hdmi, dvi, vga still blank screen. i changed my ram to ddr2 800 ram still none i took off the ram the gpu also nothing . I turned off my comp and replugged in the 8 pin the cpu fan now spins alot faster. but after serveral attempts still no luck. what do you guys think i should try and what do you think is wrong.

This is what i recently bought

ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler - Retail
GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard -
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit
AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Callisto 3.1GHz Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Processor Model HDZ550WFGIBOX
Antec 1200 Case

This is what im using from my old comp
Western Digital Carver 250 GB With my current windows xp os installed
MSI 8800 GT 512 DDR3
My Monitor with DVI

Did you try using just one ram stick in the slot closest to the cpu? Are you sure everything is seated correctly, ram, cpu, and gpu?

Clear the CMOS, and try again. My MB was crazy picky about vid cards when I first got it and once I changed GFX ports it would post black, like yours. Clearing the CMOS is the only way out. I gather your MB doesn't have onboard GFX?

Nope doesnt have onbaord GFX sigh i wish it did make my life alittle easier but nope i tried to clear cmos everytime i change mobos etc. still no luck i even tried using one memorystick also even with different sticks.

nope i havent 0.0 do you think it will work? btw i have no system beep sound maybe b.c i dun even have an case speaker whats the chance of an faulty PSU? maybe i will try and see if it will post with no cpu

Last edited:
Got another AMD cpu laying around? Call me crazy but maybe it needs a bios flash?

sounds like a bios issue; update the bios...... but for that you'd need a working cpu :(

nope i havent 0.0 do you think it will work? btw i have no system beep sound maybe b.c i dun even have an case speaker whats the chance of an faulty PSU? maybe i will try and see if it will post with no cpu

Worked for me on my msi board when I booted the first time no video. Used second pci-e booted up with video. I then loaded optimized defaults and saved. No problems after that. It's worth a shot.

The AMD 5400+ should work fine. It isn't exactly a new CPU.

Nope doesnt have onbaord GFX sigh i wish it did make my life alittle easier but nope i tried to clear cmos everytime i change mobos etc. still no luck i even tried using one memorystick also even with different sticks.

So you have done a full 15sec CMOS clear SINCE it booted to black screen? Sorry, just trying to clairify.

yep i did 30 seconds to be sure.

is there an way to update the bios without having an cpu insidE? lol like odl fashion floppy

Try pluging your monitor into the other port on your GFX card, clear CMOS and try again.

I've done it with ami bios but never award bios like your board has. I'll link instructions, but I'm not responsible

http://www.biosman.com/biosrecovery.html

I would really suggest you use the x2 5400 if you really think it's a bios problem and want to flash. The x2 5400 will be recognized. The cpu support page list support for x2 550 since bios F4. Why don't you use the x2 5400 to check what bios the board is running and go from there.

no the cpu is the brain of the computer. how can your computer work with out its brain? it wont. if you got a am2/am2+ cpu then pop it in and update the bios pop in your athlon II 550 and it will work :D

yep hopefully it will work unless mobo is defective or cpu is either way i still have warrenty

your setup need AMD video card :D

i had almost identical problem with 770T,
everything works and i can hear the windows sounds but no video, this happen if i just swap video card.

what i did, pull the power supply cord, pull cmos battery (wait 1 min), short the clear cmos jumper, put the battery in, push the on/off button couple time. see what happen.

what i did, pull the power supply cord, pull cmos battery (wait 1 min), short the clear cmos jumper, put the battery in, push the on/off button couple time. see what happen.

Over kill, but what I have been suggesting from the beginning but it made me remember what step I forgot to mention.

1. Pull video card OUT!
2. Clear CMOS
3. Insert video card.
4. Boot.

My Gigabyte board was notorious for this, and was the only way back.
Try ASAP please!

i have a radeon hd 4650 also=] that i used to test. lol

im writing down everythng on here on an list so i could try each test u guys sugesst again and if it works! wowzers thank to you all and i hope this thread would be on the google zone lol since i did see serveral threads involving newly built system not booting my friend also had the same problem until he rma it 0.0

I just spent the last 6 HRS yes 6 switching CPUs out from my current comp and into the other reflashing the bios on my new mobo it was already f5 but i reflashed it again with f5 and then replugged in my new AMD 550 and it worked! 0.0 and then it was rebuild back both pcs. finally concluded. thanks guys.

they sent me an mobo with f5 bios but didnt work i had to reflash it with f5 again lol for it to work weird.

Update :
F8 for best unlocking C2/C3's....

Wait for F10 if you want a good Core Disable Bios. F9 is buggy.

Do not exceed 269HTT bus speed in any of the Bioses .. It will lock the IDE/AHCI and drop I/o ports then Corrupt the Bios.Dosnt matter what Phenom CPU you use..It a Bios Limitation for this Mobo.

Ive tested this with two differnt Mobos with C2/C3 and Locked unlocked Modes. 790x UD4P Being a DDr 2 mobo its very good. Just dont use high HTT... All Bioses relased for this Mobo have this problem. 269/270 htt is the limit until Gigabyte tweaks a better Bios.

The DDR3 790X dose not share this problem .

Back