Bleepity, bleep, p6n diamond

brycejones

Supreme [H]ardness
So what i thought was a power supply problem with my P6N Diamond and its refusal to boot with 4 GPUs installed does not appear to be the case. After replacing the OCZ Gamextreme 700w PSU I had a with a Corsair 750TX it still refuses to boot with 4 GPUs installed. If I take out one of them it boots fine. Looks like it is RMA time, unless someone has any suggestions.

My config is as follows:

Q6600
2GB Patriot DDR2 800
3 9600GSO
1 8800GS
5 SATA and 2 PATA hard drives (this is also my back up server)
Corsair 750TX

I have had better luck runing NV cards on mobo's with intel chipsets. Thats why my main rig is running a P45 board with 2x 260s. No sli but both cards work, unlike with the two different 750i boards I tried.

Good move on the PSU upgrade for sure. What I don’t see on that board that I do see on the nVIDIA version is an extra Molex on the motherboard to help with PCIE voltage.

On board voltage regulation on many motherboards is sadly lacking.

Have you tried calling MSI tech support, it used to be pretty good. That said I’m thinking they never intended anyone to actually populate all 4 slots, aside from Folding there would not be a really good reason for it.

Luck man;)

its suppose to run with 4 slots being used....

per neweggs info (because its almost 5 am and im tired and to lazy to look anywhere else right now...)
"The 4 PCI Express interface will operate at either x8+x8+x16+x8 or x16+x16+x8 mode"

its suppose to run with 4 slots being used....

per neweggs info (because its almost 5 am and im tired and to lazy to look anywhere else right now...)
"The 4 PCI Express interface will operate at either x8+x8+x16+x8 or x16+x16+x8 mode"

Heh, yes well “supposed to” and able too are two very different things.

I didn't compare the pics, but I'm assuming the farm in that link is nitteo's. His farm will be back up to full strength soon enough. If you shoot over to his forum, I'm sure he'll help out with any other questions you have, seeing as he's obviously an expert on that board. :D

Back