Blizzard On Representation In Games: “We Build Games For Everybody”

HardOCP News

[H] News
Dang it, now where are we going to get our fix of oversexualized game characters? Hopefully this doesn't become a trend or we'll never see another Duke Nukem game. :D

We build games for everybody. We want everyone to come and play. And increasingly in the world like people want to feel represented. People from all walks of life, from everywhere in the world. Boys and girls, everybody. And you know, we feel indebted to do our best to honor that. There’s a lot of room for growth, but specifically with Overwatch over the past year we’ve been very cognizant of that, like, trying not to oversexualize the female characters. I don’t know that we oversexualize the male characters. But it’s something we’re very sensitive to.

Aren't things like this contradictory because you are claiming more inclusion via exclusion?

From a purely inclusion stand point it should be having a variety of characters to appeal to people with different preferences.

I've never known a female gamer that wouldn't play a game because the female characters were oversexualized. I have known female gamers that wouldn't play a game because the gameplay was crap. I wonder if the trend to spend so much time and effort on making the game politically correct will dilute the quality of the gameplay for finished product...

I've never known a female gamer that wouldn't play a game because the female characters were oversexualized. I have known female gamers that wouldn't play a game because the gameplay was crap. I wonder if the trend to spend so much time and effort on making the game politically correct will dilute the quality of the gameplay for finished product...

I think this is kind of the idea, you know female gamers, but they want to sell to wider audience... this include the current non-gamer females. Some of them are put off by hypersexualised char and the general vibe of the gaming communities.

In the end, lets not lie to each other, it's the money that talks... inclusiveness or fan-servicing is just a way to move more units.

Also, unless they put in fat characters that are slower and need to stop every 30 steps to catch their breath, i doubt it'll affect gameplay at all...

Blizzard has been making garbage for nearly a decade now. Look at how toned down Diablo 3 was in comparison to Diablo 2. Diablo 2 has tons of occult imagery, Diablo 3 has essentially none.

I think this is kind of the idea, you know female gamers, but they want to sell to wider audience... this include the current non-gamer females. Some of them are put off by hypersexualised char and the general vibe of the gaming communities.

Is it really to appeal to a wider audience though or to appeal to a vocal minority? And dare I say a minority that may not even be predominately composed of female gamers?

I think this is the sticking point with a lot issues related to being "politically correct" and what he was referring to.

Is it really to appeal to a wider audience though or to appeal to a vocal minority? And dare I say a minority that may not even be predominately composed of female gamers?

I understand what you are saying, but i'm not sure...
While yes, it is a vocal minority and it probably isn't composed of female gamers, i do think that the current state of games may be putting off female gamers that are non-vocal (i mean, people don't go out and complain about everything that doesn't interest them).
So in that sense, offering games that are more inclusive may bring more people (MAY... ).

I mean, don't get me wrong, i'm not one to get offended by hypersexualised or stereotypical characters. But look at the current state of gaming... for example, League of Legends released a black characters a few months back... people complained that they wanted to cash in on black players and they were being too politically correct or whatever... that's kind of messed up... it's the other extreme.. :/

Non-gaming women, like those who read Cosmo, a magazine that is about dressing sexy and having sex. Or those who read novels. What the most popular genre of novels women read? Hint, it's not platonic friendship novels. Romance novels, that often feature half naked men and scantily clad women on the cover.

I don't believe the average woman is complaining about hyperexualized characters. Man hating feminazis obviously are, but not normal women.

Non-gaming women, like those who read Cosmo, a magazine that is about dressing sexy and having sex. Or those who read novels. What the most popular genre of novels women read? Hint, it's not platonic friendship novels. Romance novels, that often feature half naked men and scantily clad women on the cover.

I don't believe the average woman is complaining about hyperexualized characters. Man hating feminazis obviously are, but not normal women.

You don't think female armor, for example, is a weird and easily addressable problem?

I'm embarrassed when I'm playing an otherwise artfully made game and my wife is in the room when someone walks on screen in a plate armor bikini.

I understand what you are saying, but i'm not sure...
While yes, it is a vocal minority and it probably isn't composed of female gamers, i do think that the current state of games may be putting off female gamers that are non-vocal (i mean, people don't go out and complain about everything that doesn't interest them).
So in that sense, offering games that are more inclusive may bring more people (MAY... ).

I mean, don't get me wrong, i'm not one to get offended by hypersexualised or stereotypical characters. But look at the current state of gaming... for example, League of Legends released a black characters a few months back... people complained that they wanted to cash in on black players and they were being too politically correct or whatever... that's kind of messed up... it's the other extreme.. :/

That's the thing that gets me, the state of gaming is just fine. Look at games like FFXIII with an almost all female cast. There was a little bit of over-sexualization from maybe characters by Vanille, but otherwise it was really well done.

Same goes with Alien Isolation (great game btw). Samus in Metroid so on and so forth. What's funny is the fighting for the the reduction of over-sexualization for Females, but god forbid we stop the over-masculinity of males.

I find the whole thing stupid, there should be equality across the board, not one thing or the other.

I want to see more overweight quadriplegic african-american lesbians with down syndrome heroes.

If you disagree, you're a bigot for implying this demographic "doesn't matter". Check your privilege!

That's the thing that gets me, the state of gaming is just fine. Look at games like FFXIII with an almost all female cast. There was a little bit of over-sexualization from maybe characters by Vanille, but otherwise it was really well done.

Same goes with Alien Isolation (great game btw). Samus in Metroid so on and so forth. What's funny is the fighting for the the reduction of over-sexualization for Females, but god forbid we stop the over-masculinity of males.

I find the whole thing stupid, there should be equality across the board, not one thing or the other.

Fair point. To be honest, i haven't played FFXIII or Alien Isolation (i'll admit, im waiting on the Oculus Rift to play that one).
I'll also admit that for me, community behaviors has always been a bigger issue than oversexualization (except for games that are 100% fan services... like DoA). I've turned away from many games because of their sh*t communities.
But yes, i can't disagree on the examples you give.

I want to see more overweight quadriplegic african-american lesbians with down syndrome heroes.

If you disagree, you're a bigot for implying this demographic "doesn't matter". Check your privilege!

I get the feeling that you're super scared of the opposite gender oooor you have one of those kinds of spouses with a more dominant personality so you can't express these thoughts anyplace else.

I get the feeling that you're super scared of the opposite gender oooor you have one of those kinds of spouses with a more dominant personality so you can't express these thoughts anyplace else.

Your comment is racist and misogynistic. I'm reporting you to Anita Sarkeesian

You don't think female armor, for example, is a weird and easily addressable problem?

That sounds logical at first, a chainmail bikini doesn't offer much protection. So if you equip women with the same equipment men would carry, a full set or armor, weapons, and equipment, all that would weigh at least 100 pounds. Most women couldn't carry it. So unless the female characters looks like weightlifters, women carrying as much as men would be even more illogical.

I'm embarrassed when I'm playing an otherwise artfully made game and my wife is in the room when someone walks on screen in a plate armor bikini.

Don't be embarrassed. Problem solved.

In FFXIV had saved enough coin to get the baddest armor in the game, it turned out to be an open back/flower peddle/ballerina shoes concept; was so shocked and embarrassed that I have yet to play that game again. Still pisses me off just thinking about it!

That sounds logical at first, a chainmail bikini doesn't offer much protection. So if you equip women with the same equipment men would carry, a full set or armor, weapons, and equipment, all that would weigh at least 100 pounds. Most women couldn't carry it. So unless the female characters looks like weightlifters, women carrying as much as men would be even more illogical.

Games are fantasy, so a Woman carring 100lb armor isn't as crazy as a dude personally slaying 100s of guys per battle.

I also don't think games with girls in skimpy outfits are going anyware, it is just nice to offer more options, and it is nice to have your wife sit with you while you play your games and not make comments about what the female characters are wearing.

Stop putting your stereotypes and gender roles on me you hate monger bigot! I identify as a 14 year old vietnamese girl, and you can't tell me I'm not.

So how long until we are playing pong because it's the only authorized game according to the victim-culture?

As long as pong doesn't upset the squares who think the "ball" shouldn't be round because it's roundness obviously offends round people, and the straight "paddle" offends the thin people.

Let games be games, they are fictional after all.

On the flipside of that, I've never known any male gamer that wouldn't play a game because the female characters weren't oversexualized. The time and effort needed to create an oversexualized character vs a regular one has to be the same.

I think it comes down to being a marketing decision. Sex sells. Definitely not something specific to games. It's deceptive too isn't it? I mean the oversexualized female character is often not representative of the gameplay. The game isn't about sex.

On the flipside of that, I've never known any male gamer that wouldn't play a game because the female characters weren't oversexualized. The time and effort needed to create an oversexualized character vs a regular one has to be the same.

I think it comes down to being a marketing decision. Sex sells. Definitely not something specific to games. It's deceptive too isn't it? I mean the oversexualized female character is often not representative of the gameplay. The game isn't about sex.
Pretty much this. Sex sells, and we have got super used to it, but if it is all about gameplay why does it matter that female characters are getting treated with a little more respect.

I think Sunset Overdrive has a smart solution to this problem. If you play as woman they offer tons of customizable options. You want to play in your underwear and heels, go for it. You want cover up and be a bad-ass, your choice, and all the other female characters, while some might be "sexy", are not over the top.

Pretty much it comes down to choice. The more the better.

So how long until we are playing pong because it's the only authorized game according to the victim-culture?
Why is it calling "Pong" anyway? I bet its short for Ping-pong, isn't it!? Is that supposed to be some kind of racist mocking of my language? What you think we ALL wear rice hats and play table tennis while saying "ping pong ching chong"??? Identifying myself as a 14 year old vietnamese girl, I'm highly offended and demand it be renamed table-tennis.

Women have been forced to repress their sexuality for thousands of years, by countless groups with varying reasons. Why stop now? :rolleyes:

Seriously, when is the world going to stop pretending that women don't enjoy sex as much as the next guy? When are we going to stop shaming them for admitting it?

Much bigger issue at hand then big boobs in video games IMO.

PC police: Why did they say "boys and girls"? Why not "girls and boys"?

Ugh. Just wait a few years and idiot will be complaining about things like this.

I wouldn't read too much into it. They'll add body fat slider options which nobody will choose in character creation screens. They can rightfully indicate people are making the characters they want, and we'll all just move along.

If she's strong enough to put herself into a battle then she's strong enough to carry the proper armor into it. I'm embarrassed because it's embarrassing and illogical. Is she a warrior or is she going to the beach?

If she's strong enough to put herself into a battle then she's strong enough to carry the proper armor into it. I'm embarrassed because it's embarrassing and illogical. Is she a warrior or is she going to the beach?

In the grand scheme of "who gives a shit", find something better to be embarrassed about. Most games I've played recently had all kinds of options in respect to how you want to your character to look. The mmo I play I can make my character damn near as nude as I want, or make it look like a walking snowman that you have no idea what race it is much less sex. If you are embarrassed by someone else's choices, then you are possibly too sensitive.

In the grand scheme of "who gives a shit", find something better to be embarrassed about. Most games I've played recently had all kinds of options in respect to how you want to your character to look. The mmo I play I can make my character damn near as nude as I want, or make it look like a walking snowman that you have no idea what race it is much less sex. If you are embarrassed by someone else's choices, then you are possibly too sensitive.

Or maybe you're just oblivious . . .

To? All the guys running around on half naked female toons? No I'm not oblivious to them..they just don't bother me. If that is what they want to do..who cares?

Clearly the other customers Blizzard wants to sell to

1) Most women DO NOT WANT TO LOOK LIKE BULLDYKES! Ever worked in a motorcycle gear department? Whats the number one priority for virtually EVERY female? Back armor? Ventilation? Reflective material? Pockets? Durability of the material?

Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Do I look SEXY in it? Every. Single. Time.

If you give them a jacket that they think looks too masculine because it has shoulder and elbow armor that makes their arms look masculine or doesn't hug the waist and accentuate the hips, they take it off immediately.

Most of the top sellers don't come down far enough, they don't have sleeves long enough, and they don't have any armor whatsoever, and the neck is often a deep V with a zipper so it will open itself on impact. So this idea from loudmouth feminists that the armor isn't realistic? Its what most women would want to wear, sacrificing safety for sex appeal.

Secondly, how many of these feminists complain that the women are UNREALISTICALLY STRONG? On average women run slower than men, have less endurance than men, have drastically reduced upper body strength, and much higher body fat to muscle ratios, while weighing often near half as much at a healthy weight. Why don't we let feather-weight male boxers fight heavy-weight male boxers? Because the fight would be over in half a second, its not fair.

So if you really want to depict women in games more accurate, make sure that they run slow as crap, get tired quickly, and limit them to lighter armor and weaponry, making it hugely unfair for them to engage in combat.

Cmon feminists! Where's the push for realism! And if we're using a medieval setting, the woman should be at home with a child on her breast, two little ones running around, while she sweats in the kitchen making food while the male warriors go on quests.

Clearly the other customers Blizzard wants to sell to

I don't care what blizzard wants to do..their game. I was responding to your claim of being "embarrassed" by how others portray themselves online.

Back