blower or axial?

mlapgw

Gawd
I want to buy a new graphics card but am having a hell of a time picking which one.

For me it is coming down to what style cooler is best for me.
I have a Haf 932 case. That is a high air flow case but I have put filters ( these http://modmytoys.com/custom.html) on all the intake fans which surely cuts down the air flow from the average Haf 932 case.

I live in the desert. With my current set up, in the summer time, my current card (Sapphire 5870 Toxic) idles at 42C and games in the high 60s to mid low 70s.

I have not overclocked my processor but would like too. That will put more heat in my case.

Is a blower type cooler set up where the heat is expelled from the case (like a FTW model) or axial type (like a Twin Frozr IV) that seem to keep the gpu cooler but expel heat into the case going to have much effect on my internal components like the processor?

Have the cooler expel from the back of the case. If you have limited airflow already, the videocard will simply compromise that.

Axial fans on finned heatpipe coolers work the best at cooling the gpu, and pretty much anything they're attached to really. I've found minimal effects on processor/system temps between having an axial or blower equipped gpu.

The biggest factor at play is having a good airflow path through the machine. That doesn't mean loud high RPM fans, it just means that what goes in comes out just as fast, and doesn't make any detours into useless space on the way. I've also not seen worthwhile results from filters(I haven't tried those new ultra fine plastic mesh ones), one a month just unhook it from everything and bust out the air compressor blowgun. Less noise, less heat, no filters to clean.

More than 2 or 3 case fans usually causes more problems than it solves. I've found that an ~800 RPM 120 or 140mm sidepanel fan, with the hub centered near the front of the card, taking in unobstructed air (no grilles, or at most a low restriction wire cage grille) makes a massive difference in system temps. I keep mine motherboard speed controlled, my intake and back panel exhaust fans are running so slow you can practically count the revolutions by looking at them, but blocking them off results in a rapid 10C increase in GPU and 5C increase in CPU temps. I couldn't get a front panel fan to match it at any RPM in my case. All cases are different, so you'll need to experiement a little.

With a single card and a high airflow case like a HAF, you will have zero problems using an axial card. The benefit to axial is lower temperatures and especially lower noise at high load.

I would only buy blower style cards for mATX/mini-ITX builds or when stacking cards in SLI.

I agree, axial will be the way to go.

I upgraded from a 5770 to a 7870 which were both axial fans, but I just flipped my side case fan to be an exhaust rather than intake. Zero adverse effects on my internal system temp.

Back