Blowhole IN or OUT?

L.L.C.

n00b
Given the question, would a 'blowhole' on a shuttle, work better if it were an intake?

Also, if it were feasible for it to be an intake how much room, if any, is there for a duct over the HS, to help push the warmer air out via the heatpipes? If I'm not understanding how heatpipes work, someone tell me I'm a dumbass and correct me where I am wrong :)

I don't have my XPC (SB75G2 V2) yet, just wondering what can be done with the little box, that's all.

Heatpipes have a small amount of fluid that evaporate and move to the other side of the pipe. That side of the pipe gets cooled and the 'steam' returns to liquid form, returning to the other side of the heat pipe. I'm not understanding where exactly you want to duct, but unless my reasoning is totally off, you might see better results NOT ducting it over the CPU side of the I.C.E. cooler (it might reduce the 'evap' due to lower temps).

As far as the blowhole i'd ALWAYS recommend exhausting the hot air, but since the I.C.E. cooler utilizes said heatpipes you might want to exhaust air hout the back (you need some air coming in, right?)

L.L.C. said:
Given the question, would a 'blowhole' on a shuttle, work better if it were an intake?

Also, if it were feasible for it to be an intake how much room, if any, is there for a duct over the HS, to help push the warmer air out via the heatpipes? If I'm not understanding how heatpipes work, someone tell me I'm a dumbass and correct me where I am wrong :)

I don't have my XPC (SB75G2 V2) yet, just wondering what can be done with the little box, that's all.

It will depend on where in the case you'll open a blowhole ... for example ... if it is in the top of the case ... you'll never want this to be an intake.

What I was trying to say was to 'duct' the rear blower over the heatsink and I.C.E. cooler, and if that was done, would it be better to have an intake or a blower somewhere else. Yeah, I know my question didn't come across like that, actually it wasn't even remotely close.

I read some posts over at sfftech and it seems like 3 fans, one blower on top pushing out, and 2 on the I.C.E. cooler, one (outside) pulling from in to out, and another (inside) pushing from in to out is the way to go, i.e. <fan<case<I.C.E.<fan if that makes any sense to you guys.

I went to Fry's today to look into one of em, and no, ducting, didn't look like to be any option from anywhere in that case. Only time will tell though mine should arrive within the week, and am planning on playing around with it over the weekend.

I think it is a hard call to make, going to depend on the case layout, and fan balance in question.

I'm tempted to say always intake, for one very simple reason: You don't want to 'short-circuit' your case airflow by putting a lower path of resistance. I see lots of top mounted blowholes for exhaust, and the first thing I think is, "hmmm, this may actually reduce airflow over the cpu", even if it is slightly reducing the overall case temperature.

Best option? Take baseline temps, case, cpu, gpu before putting in the blowhole, then try it both ways and see what gives you the best results for your particular setup.

I was reading this post with some interest as I recall steve mentioning something about having the cooling fan blow in instead of out. About a month ago I bought a "referb" Shuttle 41G from the egg..everything was still sealed in the box. The only problem seemed to be someone had set the bios to "look" for the wrong fan, so it wouldn't boot. I fixed that, added a gig of ram and a barton ocd via the FSB to 2.0 gig. With the cpu running 100% 24/7 doing folding at home the cpu stays at 49c. It's been totally stable that way even with the addition of an ATI vid card. The system runs cooler with the case cover on too. Tried the fan both ways, doesn't seem to make a big difference. I'm glad, didn't want to mess up that beautiful black case. :D

Just my $.02 worth

BillR

Back