blowholes

dtess17

2[H]4U
how hard is it to make a top blowhole in a case?
What's involved and how long might it take?
Can it be done by someone with very little experience in modding ?

very easy
electric drill and holesaw and it takes 30 sec ~ 1 min
no experience needed but at least need to know how to use a drill :)

Hard911 said:
very easy
electric drill and holesaw and it takes 30 sec ~ 1 min
no experience needed but at least need to know how to use a drill :)
word.

hole saws are the best way to create imo - better than hand dremel'ing

if you want an 80mm blowhole, use a 3-inch hole saw

120mm = 4.75 inches

I personally like to use slightly higher rpms and virtually no down-pressure when drilling w/ hole saws. Let the teeth do the work and prevent warping your case.

still, you want some kind of support there as well.

then mark where your fan screws will go and drill 4 holes.

add a grill - or not.

voila.

that's it huh? don't need to like sand it down after or anything?
i don't own a hole saw...what type do i need to buy? bimetal, carbon, high speed steel ? (those are what home depot are selling anyways.)

you could use moulding like the one you linked or just file the hole down nice and smooth. your call.

hole saws can be purchased at any hardware store from about $5 - $15 dollars dependent on size. I don't know the different variants of holesaw types cuz I've only seen one type there.

just make sure they're round lol.

i was reading in that other thread that 4.5 is the normal size. You are saying 4.75 which is the normal size here?

also the other thread is saying low rpm, where as you have said high...i'm just getting confused here. i need to learn alot more about power tools and modding in general

use the size of CD as guide line for 120mm hole, BiMetal holesaw is what you want and drill with low RPM cuz you don't want too much pressure and let the holesaw do the work, it should take you 30 sec ~ 1 min to finish one hole

120mm = 4.72440944 inches

when I said high rpm - i wasn't talking about blazing. but I definitley did not go low rpm. Just feel it out. most importantly, let the weight of the drill and the teeth of the saw do most of the work. As long as you do that, you'll be able to gauge rpm's.

fair enough. How many times can one hole saw cut? i assume i can do a few holes if need?
I ask because ithink i'd want to do a test run on a old crappy case first. then try it out on my new case.

For a 120mm fan, using a 4.5" hole saw there is a little more room for error... ;)

I posted a thread in this very sub-forum with all the templates for cutting holes of all different size fans. ;) Search function ftw
Hint: Fan Templates [USEFUL]

But anyhow, blowholes are easy to cut. I just did one for the first time about a week ago, and it was simple. I just dremmeled, filed, and sanded. Then I drilled the fan holes and stuck the fan in. It worked perfect.

Darkala said:
That depends on how nicely you would like to sand the hole. The molding gets you out of de burring the hole completely. otherwise you will have to sand or file the hole smooth.

feel like being fairly lazy. so i guess i'll get some of that molding.

Back