Bluetooth on XP vs. Vista

MooCow

[H]F Junkie
Ok, so I've about had it with WindowsXP Pro SP2 and my bluetooth handsfree Jabra earpiece. Its paired, then I have to manually go to settings->control panel-> sounds and audio devices, and go to audio tab and manually select the bluetooth device to have audio stream to the earpiece, under sound playback, default device.

Now, it will work for a day, but if I don't use it for a while, it defaults back to the original audio device. Now, when I pair the piece of shit, the bluetooth device is not available under sounds and audio devices in the audio tab. WTF. Yet the earpiece is paired. AND I have handsfree unit service AUTOMATICALLY STARTED under the bluetooth configuration.

My question is, how does Vista handle bluetooth? Is it this much of a pain in the ass? Often times I have to restart Firefox if its already streaming audio to my speakers, in order for it to switch to the bluetooth headset, if I switch default audio to bluetooth instead of my soundcard.

I'm one of those anti VIsta types generally but i run Vista Ultimate on my HTPC and i've got to say for Blue Tooth it's simply awesome.

It basically treats it natively. Plug and play like.

Really good for new school compatibility (phones, blue tooth, gadgets etc).

Im still a Vista noob really but i'm glad i went Vista for the living room comp and have no desire to use XP on that machine.

Have you ever done this, have audio going to your speakers, but then you say, "hey, I want to listen through bluetooth headphones", so you simply pick up your headset, press the button to connect to Vista, and WALAAA... the audio switches to your headset? Am I right? Is that what you have done with Vista?

Back