Bluetooth Speaker Under $50 - Recommendations?

fss69

Gawd
I am looking for a portable wireless speaker system that won't sound completely horrible ;). I don't expect decent bass or anything, just clarity at the very least. I don't need it to run off batteries, but that would be a plus vs having to use a wall wart.

I would probably go for the Monster Clarity HD, but I can't bring myself to buy a Monster product.

The Creative D80 was another option, but most impressions of its sound quality are very underwhelming.

Any other ideas?

I have the Monster Clarity HD speaker and hate it. I don't know how it got so many good reviews but it sounds hollow with my iPad 2 or SGSII streaming Pandora/YouTube so I'm guessing it's the speaker.

Take the Clarity HD out of the choice list... OR try before you buy...

http://www.meelec.com/MEElectronics_Air_Fi_AFS1_Wireless_Bluetooth_Speak_p/pspk-afs1-bk-mee.htm

I just saw this one for the first time the other day while looking for a small portable BT speaker as a gift... It's $60 tho, frankly I think even $50 is too much for this kinda product but I have a 20% off code and it might be cheaper elsewhere too.

So far I haven't been disappointed by any of the budget audio products I've gotten from MEElec, which include IEM (M9P), on ear portable headphones (HT-21), and Bluetooth headphones (AF-32, another gift); so I'm tempted to give this one a try despite the price. I was actually considering that Monster one as well, so dunno, at least MEElec has really good service.

Edit: I'm mostly curious if it'll sound any better than a cheap little $20 speaker like the X-mini + a BT receiver, total cost would be pretty similar but that MEElec speaker is slightly larger and should have a better driver I'd think (relatively speaking, tho they're similarly sized, 40mm vs 50mm). Having controls right on the speaker seems like a bonus, tho you can get a Sony BT receiver with track/call controls and even a display for like $40 (MW600).

Edit #2: One possible downside of that MEElec unit, it doesn't look like it has a 3.5mm jack so you have to use Bluetooth, which is an extra battery drain whenever you don't actually need it to be wireless.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Also, I think if you're looking for anything larger or more powerful you're better off just widening your search to include any kind of speaker and then just complement it with your own Bluetooth receiver ($30), you'll probably get more for your money that way.

Last edited:
Back