Boom mic suggestions?

ultimatequix

Limp Gawd
I'm looking for a mic with pretty good cost/performance. Tried using zalman clip on mic, but the only way it'll pick anything up is if I put it right in front of my face, and even then I have to set some microphone gain in windows, making it hiss constantly. I got this mostly because its highly recommended throughout [H], but I just don't see what's so great about it. Have tried using on both my onboard sound (sig rig) and with Xonar DG, but again, I either get no sound or I have to to be within 1-2" of it.

I've also got a Logitech Quickcam webcam with a built-in microphone, which picks up more sound. However, it also picks up everything going on in the room, and the quality isn't good at all.

I was hoping a boom mic would solve my problems. Something maybe 12-15 inches away that'll pick up my voice nice and clear, while taking out any other ambient noises.

Thanks in advance.

I really don't know all that much about microphones but i would imagine if you could find a USB mic made by a company that makes mics for recording music i bet you couldn't go wrong.

I'll recommend what I use the Andrea NC-8. Cheap, light, and doesn't interfere with your hearing. I use it for playing games with my massive surround system and it does a good job of picking up my voice and nothing else.

i'm interested in this question as well. i'm in the process of building a desktop and i need to get a decent mic too. the andrea nc-8 seems like a good price.

It is by far the best mic for a reasonable price I've found if you want to use a mic with speakers. Since it is close to your mouth, you can have the gain set low, which means it doesn't pick up much sound from the speakers. It is very light and sits easily on your head, even if you wear glasses (I do). Obviously it is not for headphone use, but if what you need is just a mic and you don't want it interfering with your ability to hear your speakers, this is what you want.

I use that Logitech too. Works fine in L4D2 sitting on my desk with the mic about a foot away from my mouth.

Like you I tried the Zalman mic, but its sensitivity was ridiculously low. I have heard from people that found it good though, so maybe the quality varies a lot.

Can you leave it at a decent distance without adding any gain? I typically play with headphones, which is why I don't really want to wear the NC-8 mentioned previously around my neck.

Probably not. You can't really get around the laws of physics when it comes to microphones. The amount of output they get is a function of the volume of the source, how near they are to the source, and their gain. So if you move the mic further away but want the same level you have to either increase the gain, or increase the volume of the source (which would mean yell in this case:D).

Depending on the style of headphones you could look at getting a cheap boom mic, removing it from its support frame, and attaching it to your headphones.

I've always thought about doing that with the Logitech but I presume there's a fair amount of electronics in the base, so it wouldn't work. I might have to take it apart and find out at some point. :)

i bought a boom mic for laptops like this...
http://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Flexible-Microphone-Laptop-Skype/dp/B00284VD02

and attached it to my headphones by installing a 3.6mm socket.
boe1q3k3e2od3pnql.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back