Boot.ini tab not in msconfig

Oline61

Gawd
I made a fresh install of windows xp home this afternoon, and after getting everything up and running pretty normally (including latests windows updates), I noticed that the boot.ini tab does not show up in msconfig anymore.
testsi7.png

How do I get to the tab? Is something wrong with my windows? Should I reformat and try again tomorrow?

Did you make sure that boot.ini exists? Widnows does not NEED it to be there to boot. But it should be if it's a fresh install.

Thanks for the response, I should have checked before posting, but I'll give myself a little leeway at 1:44 AM. It appears that when I installed I already had an NTFS partition on my disk (D:\ 20GB partition, last on the disk, mostly music on it). I installed to a brand spankin' new 40GB partition (C:\) that was first on the disk. Somehow windows decided to put boot.ini on D:\ (WTF?) which worked fine, but messed up msconfig. Silly me got too used to Linux and forgot that XP will screw with you if you install it on a drive with preexisting NTFS partitions.

Anyway, I'll reformat just for the heck of it.

Oline61 said:
Thanks for the response, I should have checked before posting, but I'll give myself a little leeway at 1:44 AM. It appears that when I installed I already had an NTFS partition on my disk (D:\ 20GB partition, last on the disk, mostly music on it). I installed to a brand spankin' new 40GB partition (C:\) that was first on the disk. Somehow windows decided to put boot.ini on D:\ (WTF?) which worked fine, but messed up msconfig. Silly me got too used to Linux and forgot that XP will screw with you if you install it on a drive with preexisting NTFS partitions.

Anyway, I'll reformat just for the heck of it.

Just make sure you delete the partition, reboot, create a new partition, reboot, then format it and install windows. Also make sure the second partition isn't set to be the active one.

Back