Boot issues

erorr404

Gawd
I'm overclocking my E6400 + DS3 system and it refuses to boot with the same overclocked settings some times but not others. For example, if I achieve 2.4 GHz at 300 x 8 it will boot, but if I use 400 x 6, it won't (note that RAM frequency is always at stock or less). Often times it will refuse to boot right after I raise the FSB in BIOS, but will a few restarts after that. When it does boot it seems stable (runs SuperPI and a few hours of Orthos) and the temperatures never go past 60 C during stress tests.

I've experienced this at various speeds ranging from just over stock to 3 GHz, and at both stock voltage and 3.75 V.

My components (all new):
Antec NeoHE 550W
Gigabyte 965P DS3
E6400 (stock heatsink and fan)
2GB G.Skill PC6400
XFX 7900GS (stock)

Also noteworthy, a couple of times when I booted the system at 3 GHz it would give me a series of short beeps after I got out of BIOS. According to the motherboard manual, this indicates a "power failure." I don't know what this means or if it has anything to do with this problem (it only happened twice).

Does anyone know why this is happening?

Thanks in advance.

hmm, have to ask to make sure.

Is the 12v aux connector from the the power supply to the MB plugged in ?

What voltage are you running the cpu at ?

What voltage are you running the memory at ?

What timings are you running the memory at ? (auto, spd or manually set ? )

Yes it is.

CPU is at 3.75 V (stock is 3.25 V, I couldn't get to 2.4 GHz with that)

Memory voltage is probably at stock, in BIOS DDR2 Overvoltage is set to "Normal"

Timings are set to "Auto", they show as 5-5-5-15 in CPU-Z (stock)

Back