Bootable Ghost CD does not have USB ext hdd support

dragontales

Limp Gawd
I want to be able to ghost an image of my hdd and save that image to an external hdd but apparently the bootable ghost 11 cd does not have usb support so it does not see my external hdd.

Does anyone know to create another bootable ghost cd with usb support? Or can someone point me to a version of bootable ghost that has usb support? Thanks.

I do have a BART PE boot cd with ghost8 that does have usb support BUT it literally takes 3-5 mins to boot up. That's just too slow.

I do have a BART PE boot cd with ghost8 that does have usb support BUT it literally takes 3-5 mins to boot up. That's just too slow.

The problem with using a DOS based system is the USB support. I have had minimal luck getting USB2.0 support working on DOS with various devices. Without USB2.0 support, it's going to take a LOT longer to use Ghost with that USB hard drive than it will take you to start up with a PE disc.

How about using a linux live CD and one of the linux imaging softwares?

The problem with using a DOS based system is the USB support. I have had minimal luck getting USB2.0 support working on DOS with various devices. Without USB2.0 support, it's going to take a LOT longer to use Ghost with that USB hard drive than it will take you to start up with a PE disc.

How about using a linux live CD and one of the linux imaging softwares?

Unfortunately I don't have much knowledge with Linux.

Unless you are doing a large number of roll outs, why would you complain that 3-5 minutes is too slow for a perfectly working and acceptable solution? If you want to be that overly picky about BartPE, start trimming out the unneeded components.

Unless you are doing a large number of roll outs, why would you complain that 3-5 minutes is too slow for a perfectly working and acceptable solution? If you want to be that overly picky about BartPE, start trimming out the unneeded components.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. The 1 ibm laptop that I am doing is the master image. I am indeed doing a larger roll out for the users.

Ghost does support external firewire devices though. I image over to my external firewire drives all the time(actually the enclosures have 1394a, 1394b and USB2.0 ports), it moves fast enough with 1394a.

use a network then... you could do them all at once if you like... a simple boot floppy or network boot CD, or a PXE server if you feel so inclined...

What version of ghost do you have? Its legit right....

The way ghost works is you install it on your computer, you go through the program and pick what you want, and then it makes a bootable CD or Floppy, or whatever. One of the options is USB support.

It works just fine as well, I have used it alot with ghost 10 and 11. Before that I never used USB drives to image from/to so I dont know if it was supported in earlier versions.

grentz,
the newer versions have utilities that actually install into your OS, but the underlying technology has nothing to do with your OS really

grentz,
the newer versions have utilities that actually install into your OS, but the underlying technology has nothing to do with your OS really

I wasnt saying that it did have anything to do with the OS...I was saying that when you make the bootable disk from the program you install, you need to make sure to include the USB support module.

Back