Booting from iPod as external drive?

So I'm trying to use my iPod as a Firewire hard drive to boot from.

Anyways, I Carbon Copy Clone a perfectly bootable disk to it, set it as the startup device, and reboot. The iPod thinks for a second and the white background with the grey apple logo appears, but after that everything just stops and nothing moves. The disk mode activity indicator on the iPod's screen doesn't do anything, and the Mac just stays there. The little wheel never appears.

Just for reference, it's a 3rd gen 10GB iPod, formatted with HFS+ so it powers up in "disk mode." And I'm using the iBook in my sig.

Your iPod has a dock connector right? I'm pretty sure they disabled this feature when they introduced the dock connector. My 2nd Gen with the actual firewire port works fine using the same steps you followed.

I searched around and can't find anyone who says it wont work.... Are you trying to boot from it while it's in the dock? Maybe if you try the firewire to dock connector cable.

it works just fine...I have a 4G ipod and was booting to Tiger off of that several builds before the GM and it ran fine

gigglebyte said:
it works just fine...I have a 4G ipod and was booting to Tiger off of that several builds before the GM and it ran fine

You have the GM? :mad:
It is not posted to Dev Connection yet

Anyway, are you option-booting the computer, or how are you trying to boot it?

I set the iPod as the startup disk and then restart. I've also tried Option.

I'm doing a fresh install of Panther to the iPod instead of just cloning my drive, see if that does anything.

Back