BOOTMGR image is corrupt

coolrunner84

Limp Gawd
I have an Acer W500 that has Win8 RP installed on it. A couple of days ago I tried to get into the BIOS to check if I could enable the tablet to power on automatically when plugging in the AC power. The only way to get into the BIOS with Win8 installed was to turn of the Fast Boot feature.

After doing that, I was able to get into the BIOS. The tablet did not have the feature I was looking for so I restarted the tablet. This is when I encountered the "BOOTMGR image is corrupt. The system cannot boot." message for the first time.

I was finally able to get back into windows and I foolishly turned on Fast Boot again. Now I am continuously getting the "BOOTMGR image is corrupt..." message. I have rebooted 20+ times now, and I am getting the same message.

I then tried to install Win8 RTM, but now I cannot get it to boot from the USB. I also cannot get into the BIOS to change the boot order.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can solve this?

Thanks!

Edit: Seems like the Kingston 64GB SSD that I upgraded in the tablet was causing the problem. Running the factory recovery disks on both the original SSD and the Kingston, showed that the Kingston was still having a problem, but the original had no problems. Guess I will have to RMA the Kingston SSD.

Last edited:
wierd that you can't even get into the bios, try the whole windows key + volume up on boot up. or try f12 for boot options?

use the install disc and fix the mbr

I placed Win8 on a USB thumb drive (using the Microsoft USB tool), but it won't boot from it.

wierd that you can't even get into the bios, try the whole windows key + volume up on boot up. or try f12 for boot options?

The manual said to hit the power key and Windows key at the same time to enable the BIOS utility. Hitting F2 and F12 does nothing. That was the problem I was having before when I wanted to get into the BIOS. What I found was that the Fast Boot feature in Win8 ignores the F2 and F12 keys when turning the tablet on. I had to turn off the Fast Boot to be able to get F2 and F12 recognized at boot up previously. Unfortunately, I turned it back on.

unplug the HD and that will give you enough time to get into the bios.

Removing the HD requires that I remove the back plate of the tablet, and that was not easy when I replaced my HD a few months ago. I am trying to avoid doing that, but I might have no choice.

Back