Bose question (not looking for flamewars :-))

RedShark

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm not a Bose fan, but my Dad is. He's a smart guy, and could easily be swayed by some objective or quantitative reviews/data showing that Bose speakers are poor for the price you pay. I'm just getting worried because I think he will soon be in the market for a stereo + speakers and I want to be prepared when he suggests getting the Bose.

My question is: are there any websites or print resources that provide support for the argument that Bose products under perform for the price? It's easy to find people who will attest to this, but it would be much more persuasive with some kind evidence / extensive review. That is, this opinion seems to be "common knowledge," but I can't find any support for it outside "a bunch of people on the Internet." Telling my Dad that Bose is bad for this reason seems like a weak argument.

For example, I'm well-aware of http://www.avsforum.com/. There are lots of well-informed people there. Does this represent the "gold standard" for audio information? A forum? Is there anything more systematic, thorough, complete etc etc? e.g. [H]ard [A]udio.

The alternative, of course, is to compare the products myself. But doing this in a controlled way is extremely difficult (or expensive, take your pick), considering Bose's marketing strategy of segregating their equipment into acoustically perfect rooms, away from the competition.

If sites like avsforum.com are the gold standard, then it will have to do. I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking something here. :) Thanks for the pointers.

Yep, I'd read that one some time back. Are there any more like that? Suppose I'm skeptical (I'm not, just for sake of argument): I'd ask "but those are old Bose products. How do we know they've not improved?"

Thanks for the pointer.

Basically, I'm asking for sites that'd fit in this list:

Computer equipment: [H], Anandtech, etc.
Digital cameras: dpreview.com
Hard disks: storagereview.com
Audio: ???

That site looks promising, but do they have any articles on Bose that are more extensive, like the intellexual link? With only one short page at the link you provided, they don't go into much depth. Compare, for example, dpreview.com which devotes 33 pages to Nikon's D300 camera.

Perhaps this is a possible explanation: None of the major audio review sites bother with Bose because they're such a rip-off. Perhaps my request is like asking why [H] doesn't cover power supplies made by brand X but they do cover Corsair, PC P&C etc? Because nobody cares? :p

Nevertheless, if anyone can recommend more audio review sites, I'm definitely interested.

How about using that sites search function? They have several articles on Bose equipment as well as comparison/round up reviews with them in it.

Hmm I searched the site fairly hard (I think), but the longest piece of text devoted to a Bose product was the one you linked. The second longest was 21 lines in my browser (at http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/...-battle-of-the-budget-towers/?searchterm=bose). Don't get me wrong, it looks like a great site. For example, on the front page, they have a much more extensive article entitled "EMP Tek EF50T Speaker System Review." But the fact is, there doesn't seem to be that much material on Bose, unless I'm completely overlooking it.

Back