bottom case fan

jfuze

Limp Gawd
im installing a fan in the bottom of my case and was wondering which way it should be blowing for best cooling....

blowing out seems to be the thing to do, but just want to make sure :cool:

bottomfanzm3.jpg

the way it is right now... drawing air in for that 8800 GTS 512 there

When I had my Thermaltake Shark case, I was air cooling my 8800gts cards.. I went with bigger fans (120mm) and it really helped keep my temps down!

DSCN7876.jpg

When I had my Thermaltake Shark case, I was air cooling my 8800gts cards.. I went with bigger fans (120mm) and it really helped keep my temps down!

yeah that design is awesome to keep vga cool :D but half of it would get deflected by my raid card and all the cables i have down there :mad:

im installing a fan in the bottom of my case and was wondering which way it should be blowing for best cooling....

blowing out seems to be the thing to do, but just want to make sure :cool:

bottomfanzm3.jpg

is your video card bent?

yeah a port like that... erm well kinda.. not hacked to bits and infused in some demonic design :p .... just you know a regular port like from a regular side panel... something with screw-holes for the modest ;)

It kind of depends on where your computer is... if its near the floor, then no, cause it'll just spew dust all over your video card. Otherwise, like everyone has said, blowing in is best.

My card isnt bent, its just the way its designed. (BFG)

So i want to draw air in?

Isnt that video card fan blowing hot air towards the bottom?

Isnt that video card fan blowing hot air towards the bottom?

no... im pretty sure that fan on the 8800 is sucking air in from below it and blowing it out the rear of the case through the holes in expansion slots.... see the grill on the back....

yeah that design is awesome to keep vga cool :D but half of it would get deflected by my raid card and all the cables i have down there :mad:

Well all is not entirely lost.. The bottom fans would still be of great benefit. The bottom fans would be feeding fresh air into the case. The video card would definately benefit from any fresh cool air vs. warmer internal computer case air.. True, overall effeciency would be reduced a little if you had a card blocking but its still a big increase over a single lower cfm 80mm fan.

yeah a port like that... erm well kinda.. not hacked to bits and infused in some demonic design :p .... just you know a regular port like from a regular side panel... something with screw-holes for the modest ;)

LMAO.. my current project looks a little demonic.. But this is another good example of how to be effecient with "only" an air cooled setup..

DSCN9451.jpg

DSCN9457.jpg

yeah i've got dual 120mm fans on the front of my case (i had to with all my hdd).. but its behind mesh.. it looks like a regular case.. if somebody broke into my house they'd just as likely steal the P4 on the same table...

but im reminded of bender "but you can see their bare circuits"

in comparison this is basically what my computer looks like... LOL
WEBGFX_CASE_908.jpg

ohe and imagina a generic samsung 20x sata writemaster dvd burner in the top 5.25 slot...

LOL @ Futurama..

The best results that I ever had on air was when I took the plastic fan shroud off of my 8800gts and positioned two 120mm directly under the card.. My temps easily dropped 15+ degrees! I dropped another 6 degrees when I switched over from the stock thermal paste to MX-1 thermal paste. At idle, my temps were pretty close to the same temps I have on my watercooled cards..

DSCN7663.jpg

I lost +20°C off my 8800GTX installing my Thermalright HR03 Plus... its a real gem..

oh i see again you've gotten out the drill and mounted those fans yourself... i wish i had a photo to show you how i side mounted hdds 9 and 10 in the recess in front of the 3.5 bays to fit them in this regular case.. as the gtx stole a hdd bay..

i also mounted a 120mm fan on my side panel near the pcie bays... but it sucks air out from near the ramsinks and whatnot... in this case cas the HR03 is blowing air down (which i know isint ideal) sucking air out lost another 3°C over blowing.. but i suppose that only had ramsinks on that side of the card anyways...

Back