Bought a router - RT-N66U - How should I use this thing?

Foz2001

[H]ard|Gawd
Got fed up with my current router and basically took a chance while I was out. I have heard good things about the ASUS routers so I went with one.

RT-N66U

What can I do with it? (besides basic wireless networks)

We have 2 desktops, 2 laptops, 3 phones, 1 tablets... Usually 2-3 devices going at once. I am looking at putting a media server together and would like to hook that up as well.

I don't really know what I'm asking for, as I am noob when it comes to networking, but anything I should be aware of that this thing is capable of??

Thank you!

Why not look at the feature list and see if there's anything you could take advantage of...?

VPN - If you have cable TV that allows you to access your cable network from your mobile phone from only inside your network, this is easily done with a VPN. Dial into the VPN and enjoy your cable from your mobile phone.

The Asus RT-N66U is a pretty robust home router with lots of possibilities. However, I'm pretty much done with Asus and any of their products. You will have to find out if any of it is useful for you and implement it based on your needs.

QoS, VPN, 3rd party firmwares....Lots of neat stuff.

You bought a $200 router without looking past the part number?

Lulz, shoulda gotten the RT-AC66U. Same as the N66U, but with Wireless AC Compatibility

Minimal research, I had an idea...

Lulz, shoulda gotten the RT-AC66U. Same as the N66U, but with Wireless AC Compatibility

As for the AC, I saw that there, however I don't think I would really use those speeds at this point... and not sure how I feel about jumping in on that early...

Hopefully I don't regret saying that anytime soon.

Last edited:
Basically, only you are going to know what you can get out of this router.

Flash it with Merlin build if you want nifty extras. I own three of these. The VPN throughput isn't amazing, but not terrible either. Honestly, I don't use it for much other than what I use a typical wireless router for.

Stumbled across this thread today while searching for other stuff....

What you CAN'T do with it is easily attach a HDD over 2TB via an external enclosure. Hence the reason I am searching for info about NAS's today. I'm trying to get a home-cloud thing setup for music/photos and perhaps maybe a website thing and while this router is certainly fast for shooting data between the internets and my devices, it's just not intended to think too much.

The most fun I've got out of it is throttling the wife's internet speeds so I can still play games online without any hiccups. She sure gets grumpy when her 2 concurrent video streams get clunky, but I've managed to get away with "That's strange" as an explanation for about half a year now without much pushback. Thanks ASUS! :)

I'm yet to find a router that has decent USB speeds. Probably a ways away from a very good implementation of it.

Back