Brand New Core i7 build Serious Problem.

Nething3

n00b
First the specs:

Core i7 920 @ 4.0ghz with HT 24/7 Stable
Adata ddr3 1333mhz @ 1600mhz 7-8-7-20 1T 24/7 Stable
Msi x58 Platinum flashed to Msi x58 Platinum Sli - Bios 3.1 Beta 4
Nvidia 9800 GT 512mb
Audigy 2 ZS

This system has been stressed with Intel stress test, Linx, Prime 95 and memtest. It is 100% stable. I could go higher on the clock but the ram is holding me back, it wasn't so good but nether the less i made sure it did 1600mhz.

So i install GTA IV and i run it and to my shock i am getting CRAP FPS, not to mention the audio seems to be cut off when the npc is talking in the beginning of the game. People with similiar systems like mine are getting 60-70 fps in there benchmarks with high settings.

Me i'm getting 30 fps at ALL LOWEST SETTINGS apart from my native resolution, Another gta game, GTA SAN ANDREAS is actually performing WORSE then what iwas getting with my amd X2.

I have ran super pi and i get accurate results, i have ran Everest memory bench and i get better results then my previous rig, though my timings were pretty tight on my previous rig to the point it got me 20-25 fps more.

I have intels new INF 9.1.0.1012 chipset drivers installed all latest drivers i even tried other drivers, i tried differnt OS's from xp32 to vista 64 to xp 64 my current one. Other games DO show performance gain, but something is clearly wrong if i'm not getting what i'm suppose to be getting in GTA IV like others are especially with this rig and i'm getting lower performance in another game which i use to get higher.

Assistance required urgently i have no CLUE what is causing this. Before you people say GTA IV is a piece of crap this and that, other people are reporting good results with there i7's, yes gta iv is poorly optimized but mine's isnt performing like other core i7's are getting.

I have tried everything, HT Disabled, everything almost i do not get it. WHAT IS WRONG.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Flash your board back to the BIOS it should be running first and foremost. Then see if the issues persist.

I have done that with original bios's didn't work. Keep in mind i do get performance increases in other games

Well, in regards to those that have had relative success, have you found out what drivers and specific hardware and software they are using?

You state that it's a gpu bottleneck but the thing is and huge population of gta community already knows and confirms, that the gpu is barely being used at all in this game. They have even done tests

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,..._with_7_Ati_and_Nvidia_graphics_cards/?page=2

it clearly shows that there is no barely a difference between a 9800 GT and a GTX 280, this game is purely CPU demanding. Keep in mind i lowered my settings completly low and my ram consumption is just 312mb so, if my gpu were the bottleneck it would have to be ram wise but i didn't exceed the ram at all.

Also people with similiar systems as mine with lower performanced core clocks are getting better fps then me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKzDYKrUDsA

This guy has a lower clock and same video card as mine though he is using SLI, but sli barely works on this game. Look something is wrong and also how am i getting lower performance in san andreas. it makes no sense.

I have not been able to get in contact with those other people but i read about it on the gta forums they get high fps, exactly what i'm not getting with subpar specs to mine.

You stated you are using native resolution but dont tell us what that is.
What res, AA settings etc are you using?
Have you forced any settings on in the NVidia control panel?

Try unclocking everthing and see if you can get the stock performance right.
It is possible your overclock is upsetting the system somehow.
Once you have that sorted, you know you can start clocking.

Well i figured that didn't matter since other's are getting results with same res,

1920 x 1200

I have done all that believe me, but just for the hell of it i have reverted back to bios 1.0 AND again i will try to see right now if anything changes i highly doubt it.

Wow this is very interesting we'll the bios didn't do crap as i knew but i my stock settings are at 2.6ghz and my fps is about 5 fps more but thats probably TURBO kicking in. What the hell is going on if 4.0ghz and 2.6ghz are barely showing any difference something is definitely wrong.

Your overclock possibly isnt as stable as you thought.
When an overclock isnt stable, strange issues can occur, tadaaa.

My overclock is Completely stable :) LINX PRIME 95 INTELBURNTEST "My overclock is Completely stable :)"

However i am at stock right now and on default 1.1 bios no luck

Not sure what no luck means, it seemed fine in your previous post at stock speeds.

The best way to test if an overclock is stable is to make sure everything you run works.
IntelBurntest is not a definitive test.
Most people can be pretty sure that if it passes, the overclock is stable, but its not a guarantee.
Dont assume too much :)

i didnt? you should start a new sticky re-defining the entire overclock manual if clearly all available tools and stress methods that are used to test a system and confirmed to work in the past and the future for years and many more to come, which your suggesting don't work well then you should definitely make that sticky redefine overclocking for all.

Until then i'm going to trust 100% core loads and ram consumption software and programs like Linx and intelburst test to cook my proccesor to a crisp.

FYI the best way to make sure your overclock is stable is via these stress testing tools, the problems i'm encountering are something completely different.

Right, so when normal testing methods dont seem to help, you wont look further.
Cool, it isnt my problem :)

The normal testing methods are THOSE programs. when all my games shown signs of a increase and 3dmark 06 and every other benchmark test shows me accurate results and here comes 2 games that don't are you insinuating stop drop and roll back its your overclock dead certain. If you assume that, then you must have not have spent alot of time with computers, numbers speak greater then words.

All bickering aside, I played and beat this game on my dual-core E6750 system with medium textures, high rendering, 1920x1200. It ran fine and only crashed about 5 or so times during the entire course of play.

All bickering aside, I played and beat this game on my dual-core E6750 system with medium textures, high rendering, 1920x1200. It ran fine and only crashed about 5 or so times during the entire course of play.

Something is clearly wrong and there is not even a clue as to why and i'm stock so those people who claim it's the overclock are proven wrong.

Something is clearly wrong and there is not even a clue as to why and i'm stock so those people who claim it's the overclock are proven wrong.

Have you tried reinstalling the game itself? Did you install the patch?

Installed patch installed 3 OS's xp32 vista 64 xp 64 i've don everything to the letter t, believe me i've set up alot of personal pc's this is WEIRD.

Maybe your i7 is defective? Is it just this game or other games as well? Did you add the -norestrictions / -nomemrestrict flags?

Other games show signs of increase except those 2, my super pi score is 9 seconds which is accurate my everest memory benchmark is accurate as well and much lower then my previous rig my 3dmark06 score which i just ran was 12970

My i7 is definitly not defective my ram passes all stress tests i think my 3dmark score might be a little low but then again people seem to be getting that with a 9800 gt in the 13k-14k area

The normal testing methods are THOSE programs. when all my games shown signs of a increase and 3dmark 06 and every other benchmark test shows me accurate results and here comes 2 games that don't are you insinuating stop drop and roll back its your overclock dead certain. If you assume that, then you must have not have spent alot of time with computers, numbers speak greater then words.

You dont read what I post properly, its hard to help you.
Note that what I said are things to try, not to permanently leave on your machine.
Its quite possible to move onto testing other things once the basics have been established.

You also need to be clear what you are saying.
For example,you stated in post #9 that at stock speeds everything seemed to work fine.
Then in post #11 you said you have no luck at stock clocks.

Telling me that you are only going to believe Intel Burn test tells me to leave you alone to work it out.
Thanks for the insult btw.
As you know more, I'll leave you to sort it :)

You dont read what I post properly, its hard to help you.
Note that what I said are things to try, not to permanently leave on your machine.
Its wuite possible to move onto testing other things once the basics have been established.

You also need to be clear what you are saying.
For example,you stated in post #9 that at stock speeds everything seemed to work fine.
Then in post #11 you said you have no luck at stock clocks.

Telling me that you are only going to believe Intel Burn test tells me to leave you alone to work it out.
Thanks for the insult btw.
As you know more, I'll leave you to sort it :)

Wow that is .. wow that he ... wow? i never said my stock spee... NVM ok please dont comment in my thread any more .... wow wat a F... moro... LEARN TO PAY ATTENTION you pompous jackass

Wow that is .. wow that he ... wow? i never said my stock spee... NVM ok please dont comment in my thread any more .... wow wat a F... moro... LEARN TO PAY ATTENTION you pompous jackass

Sorry I don't have any ideas on what is wrong in your particular situation. However, coming to [H] asking for help, shooting down suggestions and dissing those trying to help you certainly isn't the way to go about it.

This thread needs to be closed because the OP is a complete idiot. READ what people write and listen to suggestions. If you know so much, then fix the problem yourself. I'm still laughing at how my E6750 performed better than your i7.

ALSO: USING CAP LOCKS WON'T HELP YOUR CAUSE!

How about you open task manager (while having the game run in the background) and check the processor usage and memory usage to report back here. If it is utilizing a high level of cpu (close to 100% and/or is using a huge amount of available memory), it is likely a program issue and not system related--it can be some inefficiency in the runtime environment of the program in the way it handles data/stores information in memory.

Also one thing I noticed is how you changed your RAM timings to 7-8-7-20, from what I assume stock would be 9-9-9-24. You may have incorrectly set your RAM timings-- this could be a major contributor to inefficient RAM access and refresh which could lead to performance issues that you're experiencing. I suggest you relax your timings and not arbitrarily set it like you have--timings should be delicately set and handled.

Is this your RAM? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211367

You know what i've gotten the responses i needed, please close my this thread and close my account thank you.

I'm not going to say nothing and let this nonsense continue kinda like slavery in the old American days. Good day, knew i shouldn't have come here.

Why do you come up with slavery issues? It's completely not related to this thread...Did someone try to enslave you...you are just being a dick i suppose...without good manners.

wow.
just, wow.

Heres some logic for you, ok?
If other games show increases
and
if the OC appears to be stable
and
the GPU isn't the bottleneck
and
the RAM isn't the bottleneck
and
the FPS increases when CPU decreases
then
maybe the game is just crap
or
maybe you just fucked something up somewhere.

Not to add to this thread since it is pretty much dead.

But I was gonna say that GTA 4 PC has very poor optimization. On one computer it will run great. On another with very similar specs, it will run like crap.

Did you run your i7 at normal speeds and see problems? This is why I usually run my gear for at least a month or two without touching a thing to see if there are any gremlins.

Edit: Just saw the OP is banned. :rolleyes:

Although OP is banned, I saw something related benchmarking compiles in Linux. The higher I raised the voltage, the slower my i7 went. The CPU is saving itself and throttling, OP needed better cooling and to turn down the clocks, perhaps disable the amp/watt limit when better cooling is achieved...

user had a crossfire-only msi platinum x58 board flashed with a bios made for the platinum x58 sli board. perhaps that contributed to the performance issues.

Back