Brand New Opty 165 Stepping CCBBE 0610DPMW New "BB" Memory Controller

Stock volts and what speed? At 2.7ghz and stock volts my 165 runs @ 48-50C under load and idles at 31-33C. This is with an Arctic Cooling Freezer64 Pro.

Silverado SS said:
I had too much on it the first time because I spread it over the entire chip, but I cleaned it all off and just put a dab in the middle then twisted the heatsink back and forth like arctic silver install instructions say on their site for chips with a heatspreader. Should I clean that off also and try an even thinner layer over the entire chip? It runs 50c under load at stock voltage with all the case fans cranked up on high.

you need a better heatsink. I was using the Zalman 7700 (about the same as xp90) and was getting into high 50s/low 60s on load.

Just got the Scythe ninja and load temp has dropped to 45 for the same speed.

My 0610 does 2.80GHz @ 1.36v actual and is currently running 2.925GHz @ 1.53v actual.

It failed 2.925GHz @ 1.46v. If it passes at 1.53v, i will lower the volts and see where is the sweet point. temps are getting into high 50s on the ninja with 1.53v and 2.925GHz though :(

these 0610 seems to run hotter than other 165s. My previous 0550 (that I sold) never got higher than mid 50s on the Zalman at 2.8 but this 0610 was in low/mid 60s.

UPDATE:
I was able to boot in windows at 3.0GHz @ 1.53v but Prime95 failed on one cores (other core was going fine).

right now, i am at 2.93Ghz @ 1.48v and Prime95 is running fine on both cores.

These chips should be able to do 3.0Ghz @ ~1.55v actual (is 1.55v fine for these cpus ?)

yeh 1.55 is fine for cpus as long as the temps are low...

nice ocs there people gl with htting 3ghz :)

Mayhs said:
yeh 1.55 is fine for cpus as long as the temps are low...

nice ocs there people gl with htting 3ghz :)

What is the safe max temp for these 165s under load ? i am already running in high 50s (58-60) when on 1.53v using the Scythe Ninja hsf.

the cpu runs very cool when using 1.36v @ 2.80Ghz (~45 on full load) but ~58-59 at 2.93Ghz @ 1.53v :(

So it looks like these are really good, much better than average, but not as good as initially expected. I think I got one of the best :cool: We'll see if it's coldbugged soon.

if your cpu doesn't shut down from overheating than i'd say its safe.
still testing, at 1.525V 38idle 52load liquid cooling.

I think you want to try and keep it at 50c or under ... those upper 50s temps look a bit high to me.. but these chips run warm.. mine runs at 44c under water with 1.39v at 2.87ghz.. crazy! I might have some gunk in my water block tho.. going to check that out soon.. but I know these newer chips which run at 2.7+ ghz on default vcore run warmer than most others.. and they seem to be very cold-bugged. my 175 with 1.52 vcore at 2750 hit 40c max.. (hovered around 39c).. anyways. let your AS5 set before you get too much more into that OC.. let the chip burn in for few days at 2.85 or something. :)

take his word for it. i just put AS5 on yesterday. when i raised vcore to 1.55V the cpu went to 58C load and my pc restarted. like i said before at 1.525 vcore it was 52C load. im itching to get there guess i'll have to wait a few days. 3GHz stable for about 5 mins until it overheated :eek: yikes

decade146 said:
take his word for it. i just put AS5 on yesterday. when i raised vcore to 1.55V the cpu went to 58C load and my pc restarted. like i said before at 1.525 vcore it was 52C load. im itching to get there guess i'll have to wait a few days. 3GHz stable for about 5 mins until it overheated :eek: yikes

wish I had some AS5 :(. I am using Arctic Ceramique which is better than AS3 but a tad "not" better than AS5 (i think 1-2C difference between AS5 and ceramique).

but even ceramique needs couple of days. I will run it at 2.8Ghz for couple of days at 1.36v and then go back to ocing it later..

gssethi said:
wish I had some AS5 :(. I am using Arctic Ceramique which is better than AS3 but a tad "not" better than AS5 (i think 1-2C difference between AS5 and ceramique).

but even ceramique needs couple of days. I will run it at 2.8Ghz for couple of days at 1.36v and then go back to ocing it later..

If you'll look at any thermal paste reviews you'll see that Ceramique does just as well as AS5, sometimes a little better. Ither one will do and nither one is really better then the other in that respect. HOWEVER, Ceramique is much cheaper and works with phase change extreme temps and is also easier to apply and remove so buying AS5 is just a waste of money.

burningrave101 said:
If you'll look at any thermal paste reviews you'll see that Ceramique does just as well as AS5, sometimes a little better. Ither one will do and nither one is really better then the other in that respect. HOWEVER, Ceramique is much cheaper and works with phase change extreme temps and is also easier to apply and remove so buying AS5 is just a waste of money.

Thanks..that was why i initially purchased the 22g ceramique tube (much cheaper and easier to clean...i dont do phase change).

Only reason I was wondering about AS5 was b/c mostly everyone is using AS5 and each HSF/CPU post says to get some AS5 with your HSF/CPU. Why dont people just purchase ceramique when it is almost less than half the price of AS5

AS5 ~12g tube is ~$15
Ceramique 22g tube is ~$10

gssethi said:
What is the safe max temp for these 165s under load ? i am already running in high 50s (58-60) when on 1.53v using the Scythe Ninja hsf.

the cpu runs very cool when using 1.36v @ 2.80Ghz (~45 on full load) but ~58-59 at 2.93Ghz @ 1.53v :(

for 1.55v keep it under 55 preferably under 50...make sure you have good air flow in your case

burningrave101 said:
so buying AS5 is just a waste of money.
But, but AS5 is newer so it must be better! (I have both BTW)

Anyhow, my 0610DPMW hasnt seen too much action (been busy) but at stock volts (set to AUTO, SmartGuardian reported 1.31v) using a CG to bump the HTT from 200 to 278 (2.5GHz) resulted in an instant reboot. Timings were loose and was on a 9/10 div (RAM can take it fine) so I'm not sure what happened. HTT multi *might* have been set on AUTO still, but I cant remember. Running ~2.4GHz now (on stock volts I think)

The_NME said:
Anyhow, my 0610DPMW hasnt seen too much action (been busy) but at stock volts (set to AUTO, SmartGuardian reported 1.31v) using a CG to bump the HTT from 200 to 278 (2.5GHz) resulted in an instant reboot. Timings were loose and was on a 9/10 div (RAM can take it fine) so I'm not sure what happened. HTT multi *might* have been set on AUTO still, but I cant remember. Running ~2.4GHz now (on stock volts I think)
theres quite a few people who are getting at least 3ghz with the ccbbe 0610 DPMW stepping with a relatively low vcore, so you may want to double check your bios settings...

my ccbbe 0610 DPMW is *almost* in the mail! :)

sumofatguy said:
theres quite a few people who are getting at least 3ghz with the ccbbe 0610 DPMW stepping with a relatively low vcore, so you may want to double check your bios settings...

almost all the ones doing 3ghz seem to be ihs less as temp is a major issue with these chips, my 0608 did better than my 0610 so I sold it off and my 0608 is doing 3 with 1.5 without the ihs that is :D and after I prime it for 24 I'll see what this chip does for a brick wall, maybe 3.2, 3.1 is stable enough to run prime for 15 minutes before erroring at 1.55v

i wish i had enough guts to remove my ihs... i just cant bring myself to possibly breaking a $350 chip with one dumb mistake...

;)
sumofatguy said:
i wish i had enough guts to remove my ihs... i just cant bring myself to possibly breaking a $350 chip with one dumb mistake...
I'm not saying to do it as lots of people have messed up chips, but the rewards for an unlidding gone well are well worth it in my opinion.

toddm27 said:
;)
I'm not saying to do it as lots of people have messed up chips, but the rewards for an unlidding gone well are well worth it in my opinion.

Well if you were getting 3200-3300MHz+ then i would be inclined to agree but since you only got 3GHz and are pumping 1.5V to do it i dont think its worth it at all. I can do over 2900MHz no problem with around 1.5V and temps aren't soaring or anything although i prefer them to be lower. I'm running mine with around 1.415V right now and doing over 2.8GHz and thats plenty fast enough for me. Not worth it to possibly crack the core and give up any chance of ever getting the processor replaced if someone goes wrong with it and its still under warranty.

gssethi said:
Only reason I was wondering about AS5 was b/c mostly everyone is using AS5 and each HSF/CPU post says to get some AS5 with your HSF/CPU. Why dont people just purchase ceramique when it is almost less than half the price of AS5

Because most have never even seen a review with Ceramique in it and they just recommend AS5 cause thats the only thing they've ever heard of.

max oc, even a raise of vcore +.075V wouldn't make it stable 5mhz more. i doubt taking off the ihs is going to do anything because i would still need that much amount of voltage, unless im mistaken, would lower temps on the cpu allow me to overclock with less voltage than if i were to overclock with it still on?

ccbbe165.jpg

wow those are really high temps...

if an increase in vcore doesnt help with the oc, lower it again and be satisfied with the cooler cpu. imo, it may be something other than vcore preventing you from ocing anymore. if you got to 2900mhz on stock voltage, and increase should get you more than 5mhz...

decade146 said:
max oc, even a raise of vcore +.075V wouldn't make it stable 5mhz more. i doubt taking off the ihs is going to do anything because i would still need that much amount of voltage, unless im mistaken, would lower temps on the cpu allow me to overclock with less voltage than if i were to overclock with it still on?

ccbbe165.jpg

high temps you got there :/

Hey guys! I've been paying attention to this thread ever since I ordered my OEM 165 from monarch, and it has arrived! I got the 0610 and everything! I have to wait untill saturday to build, though.
Anyways, any chance you guys can predict what kind of an overclock I can get out of it?
I'll be running the Opteron 165, of course
ASRock 939Dual-SATA link
Zalman CNPS-9500
Corsair Value Select 1GB(2x512mb) DDR400 link

I'm thinking that the main limiting factor would be the RAM, but i have no idea how much
it will limit my overclocking. Hows the motherboard, though?

chzxmnky said:
Hey guys! I've been paying attention to this thread ever since I ordered my OEM 165 from monarch, and it has arrived! I got the 0610 and everything! I have to wait untill saturday to build, though.
Anyways, any chance you guys can predict what kind of an overclock I can get out of it?
ASRock 939Dual-SATA link
Zalman CNPS-9500

I'm thinking that the main limiting factor would be the RAM, but i have no idea how much

I dont know how well that motherboard will handle high FSB speeds over 300MHz. The RAM may be a limiting factor if it doesn't play well on dividers. Its always a gamble on what kind of overclock your going to get on a processor no matter what stepping you get but i would say with that stepping you should be able to get at least 2.8GHz.

opterpwn 165 0610 :eek: to 2.92 ghz also :) at 1.475 :) thus far this is the nicestect x2 processor i have had and i even had the 0529 monster x2, i jsut cant be happier with the processor sitting at 2.92 for daily usage, come on thats 5.85 ghz screaming to be used, i know its not my 3 ghz goal but i think this precoessor will keep me happy for a bit

sumofatguy said:

Show me one person that has gotten 3Ghz on a 0610 with low voltage. As far as I am aware Repo is the only person that has gotten 3.0+ stable perio and he is on mid to high end water. He had to use a decent amount of vcore to do it also.

OverclockingGuru said:
With all the people that are getting insane temps, I think keeping them low would really help your clocks guys.

Lowering my ambient temps to around 45-50F didnt help that much in terms of overclocking. I was able to get 3.0 @ 1.55 stable for around 25 minutes. The chips run into a major celing at 2.9+ and they dont scale well on voltage. Im very happy with mine. Will do 2.8 @1.375 [email protected] all day long. For what I use the computer for the 125Mhz bump really isnt worth the temps, It doesnt make a huge difference with Nero Recode some but not much.

chzxmnky said:
ASRock 939Dual-SATA link
Zalman CNPS-9500

I had that motherboard before my dfi... the max fsb will probably be about 290-300, so I think the highest oc you could get would be 300*9=2700.. thats the absolute max. as well, you will need to run the ram on the 2/3 divider probably

Spazilton said:
Show me one person that has gotten 3Ghz on a 0610 with low voltage. As far as I am aware Repo is the only person that has gotten 3.0+ stable perio and he is on mid to high end water. He had to use a decent amount of vcore to do it also.
I really think temperature is the problem, as my 0608 didn't want to do 3ghz until I popped the top off it, I tried 1.55v with it on and no go, with it off it did it at 1.5 and is priming at [email protected], that was under water too, now I'm running into my mobo holding me back as my ultra d is only good up to 345ish and my expert just got here today, tonight maybe I'll see what this chip really can do ;)

toddm27 said:
I really think temperature is the problem, as my 0608 didn't want to do 3ghz until I popped the top off it, I tried 1.55v with it on and no go, with it off it did it at 1.5 and is priming at [email protected], that was under water too, now I'm running into my mobo holding me back as my ultra d is only good up to 345ish and my expert just got here today, tonight maybe I'll see what this chip really can do ;)

wow nice oc there!

toddm27 said:

I agree man! I finally got my rig turned off for a few hours, allowed the water to cool down and everything.. working at 3GHz 1.425v with the top still on. I have to increase it to 1.475 when my room heats up or when it's hot outside. Looking forward to 3GHz 1.4v next winter! Hopefully :p

The top is coming off this thing now that I see it potentially does 3Ghz with such low voltage

Back