Breaking the Chains: Apple's ecosystem

Shadowprice

2[H]4U
I think I want out.

Apple's ecosystem I mean...

I've been using the iPhone 5 for a few months now, and previously I used a 4S, and a 4 before that, I've been pretty much in iPhone for years now, I've tried switching to Android before but for some reason I just feel like iOS is getting really stale and at this stage in things, Android is REALLY beginning to pickup steam.

I just see devices like the Galaxy S3, Samsung Note 2, and they just look more fun to use. And I tried a GS3 for a few days and loved it, but I moved back to my 4S and then upgraded to a iPhone 5, I feel like I haven't given myself enough time to become used to it. Then theres my huge iTunes library, while its nice, I can do without it, all of my music will play on other players, and I can use Google Music and not even use storage on my phone. I honestly can't even remember the last time I listened to music on my phone... which was one of the biggest reasons I stuck with my iPhone, because I loved the concept that it was birthed from a iPod touch, dating back to Steve Jobs keynote in 2007 when it was first introduced, I stayed with that concept.

I guess what I'm trying to get out of this thread is I'm wanting to break the chains and free myself from Apple's ecosystem, I don't hate the system and don't hate the phone, but I want a change that works for me...

If anyone wants to share some iPhone to Android (Or Windows phone) success stories, I'd love to hear them.

I personally don't have (a need for) smartphone, but I think you should do what is going to make you the happiest. Life is short. I've been an Apple fan since 1986, but I would be willing to try the competitors products, especially since I hear people rave about the Samsung products.

I was the guy standing in line for the first iphone in 2007, and again for the 3G.

Went to android after that and never once looked back. I've used friends iphones (4S and 5s) and outside of it being a nice tight package, it feels like I'm going back in time to be honest. Sure it has retina - but the screen is tiny and after the freedom I've experienced software wise in android... it's just impossible to go back.

Been rocking my Galaxy Nexus - highly modded software and hardware wise, and its just tits!

The great thing about Android - is if there is something you want to do... 99% chance you can do it. Without having to jailbreak, or have approval from Jobs' ghost or some apple committee.

Personal side note -- after the initial wave of awesome wore off with the first iphone, I'd start noticing the general level of "zombie" associated with the apple community. They don't know the specs, the don't care, they just know that "have to have it" which to me is supremely retarded and I like to distance myself from such thinking.

Xan, the only thing stopping you from getting out is how much money you spent on apps. Literally, that's the ONLY thing still tying you to that Apple teat. Find alternatives to those paid apps (possibly free ones) and just jump on in. It's the only way to do it.

Xan, the only thing stopping you from getting out is how much money you spent on apps. Literally, that's the ONLY thing still tying you to that Apple teat. Find alternatives to those paid apps (possibly free ones) and just jump on in. It's the only way to do it.

Yep. This is also how I ditched the Microsoft ecosystem. Never looked back.

The only thing I really paid for from iTunes was some movies and TV series, as far as apps go, not too many. The movies and TV series I could probably do away with, or if I really wanted to watch them attain I suppose I could always just reinstall iTunes.

I sit on both sides of the fence (I have both an iPhone 5 and a Galaxy Nexus) and can see good arguments on either side. I'll make a point on the iOS side, just to add some sense of balance.

Part of why a lot of iPhone users stay on the bandwagon is because of support. Buy one and there will be an app from the company you need, and all the accessories you want. You may not get all the OS features, but you'll get firmware updates and near-guaranteed app compatibility for two to three years, rather than the one-and-done of Android.

Apple does need to break out of its shell with iOS, but I'm not sure if I'd say it's boring -- after all, Android has had some common language for years, and even Android 4.x feels very familiar.

As for ecosystems... well, it's not quite like you're signing a declaration of independence by going to Android. Paid music is DRM-free on both sides, and paid video is not. Android apps will only run natively on Android. The main differences are just having more choices as to what software you sync with, and how you move non-media files over (Android is undoubtedly more direct there).

I recommend
1. Nokia Basic Phone,
R1 - It is Nokia phone. Basic necessity and consistency is there.
R2 - There is nothing to break out. You are already free, right from the start
R3 - There is no App to worry about. Minimal app to worry so you have more time for other things in your life.
R4 - Only ringtone, if you worry about hi-fidelity music, now you do not have to, so you can appreciate the sound of nature, more, when the ringtone is not ringing..
R5 - Many inexpensive, No contract, so not much of financial burden
R6 - No map, no social, perhaps some already appreciate that...
R7 - Many have no card slot, nothing to store ...minimal burden...
R8 - Some do have FM Radio, important still for many...

Alternatively, you can try Alcatel, or any other brands' absolute basic phone models, even no name brands...

Cheers

+subscribed..... I'm in the same boat only I'm considering leaving Android for Windows Phone so I'm going to lurk and learn.

There's no patch. No gum. No 12-step program. The Betty Ford Clinic has no smartphone dependency program.

You want an Android device? Buy an Android device. Then find analogues for the 1-2 dozen apps you actually use.

Then move on with your life.

+subscribed..... I'm in the same boat only I'm considering leaving Android for Windows Phone so I'm going to lurk and learn.

Not to hijack the thread but why do you want to go to WP? I'm just asking out of curiosity. To me it just seems like taking a step back instead of forward, voluntarily fencing yourself in. Like going from free and open source to paid and proprietary.

WP is actually quite nice, and with a few minor kinks worked out MS will have a hit on their hands. I used the Lumia 920 for 2 months and was quite happy with it, but I'm OCD about a few minor things and wanted the customization of android. I recommended WP to several friends & family who are very happy with it for their needs.

Not to hijack the thread but why do you want to go to WP? I'm just asking out of curiosity. To me it just seems like taking a step back instead of forward, voluntarily fencing yourself in. Like going from free and open source to paid and proprietary.

1) for me, Android lacks "consistency" across apps and the OS. In WP, everything feel coherent and unified. It doesn't seem like a big deal until you get a chance to use it and get used to it. I've run WP7 on my HD2 for a while and like it a lot for that reason alone.

2) I'm a long-time Zune user/fan and WP7 is the natural extension of that experience.

3) XBOX Live integration + integration with things like Office and SkyDrive mean that I can be _productive_ in a meaningful way when I'm on the go.

4) Ninja-edit -- If you sign in with your Live account and see all of your email and contacts, etc. just naturally sprinkled throughout the OS, it makes getting to what you care about quick and simple. It's hard to describe this effect in a meaningful way since there is not a corollary experience/event on iOS or Android or BB.

I've actually been using a HTC Trophy (Verizon's only WP7 offering) and I have zero desire to ever dip my toes in Android or iOS again. Once you use it and get used to how everything flows so well together, I honestly don't see how anyone could ever live with Android or iOS again and I've used all three. Going from Android to WP is super easy too as WP will get your contacts and all your information from Gmail just the same as Google. For me, I had about $10 total in apps on Android (free apps FTMFW) so losing that was no big deal and in retrospect, compared to how much better WP7 is over Android, I would have given up 10x that amount to make the switch.

Honestly, it's just so smooth even on my two year old average spec'd (at best) phone. It's smooth as anything, doesn't lag and does everything I need it to. I've had an upgrade available since July and even now, it isn't burning a hole in my pocket and I'm content to wait until Verizon has a high-end Nokia.

Honestly, it's just so smooth even on my two year old average spec'd (at best) phone. It's smooth as anything, doesn't lag and does everything I need it to. I've had an upgrade available since July and even now, it isn't burning a hole in my pocket and I'm content to wait until Verizon has a high-end Nokia.

this has been my experience on my HD2 as well and is what has me leaning toward the permanent switch....

I have a bit more invested in Google's walled garden. I did a back-of-the-napkin analysis and came up with ~$40 invested in Android apps. If I had a phone that was not a pain to use, I'm very seriously leaning toward getting a "real" WP7 phone.

Looking on eBay, I'm leaning toward the HD7 (since it's the WP7 doppelganger of my HD2) and the Dell Venue Pro since it has the AMOLED screen and physical keyboard (I just don't care too much for it's heft).

I've actually been using a HTC Trophy (Verizon's only WP7 offering) and I have zero desire to ever dip my toes in Android or iOS again. Once you use it and get used to how everything flows so well together, I honestly don't see how anyone could ever live with Android or iOS again and I've used all three. Going from Android to WP is super easy too as WP will get your contacts and all your information from Gmail just the same as Google. For me, I had about $10 total in apps on Android (free apps FTMFW) so losing that was no big deal and in retrospect, compared to how much better WP7 is over Android, I would have given up 10x that amount to make the switch.

Your wait is almost over. :D

Since you seem to get hooked into the chains you should put your money on android. Google is most likely going to win the smart phone war, they are just now getting in position and they will be fighting MS hard because they know MS is their greatest threat.

The thing is you dont want to be stuck in a MS ecosystem when most things are in googles, you don't want to be like all those old farts who were whining and putting up with so much crap for a decade or 2 because they wouldnt get out of the apple ecosystem when windows had the monopoly locked down.

Right now MS has big issues, simply put no one is willing to make their hallmark phone a windows device, and even if they did the carriers would not carry it. There is a lack of selection in devices. Sure android is fragmented a little but once google gets it death grip on the market they will start bringing in the OEMs and forcing them to a more stock system.

Since you seem to get hooked into the chains you should put your money on android. Google is most likely going to win the smart phone war, they are just now getting in position and they will be fighting MS hard because they know MS is their greatest threat.

The thing is you dont want to be stuck in a MS ecosystem when most things are in googles, you don't want to be like all those old farts who were whining and putting up with so much crap for a decade or 2 because they wouldnt get out of the apple ecosystem when windows had the monopoly locked down.

Right now MS has big issues, simply put no one is willing to make their hallmark phone a windows device, and even if they did the carriers would not carry it. There is a lack of selection in devices. Sure android is fragmented a little but once google gets it death grip on the market they will start bringing in the OEMs and forcing them to a more stock system.

News flash, almost everyone uses Windows so they are already in Microsoft's ecosystem. And it's an ecosystem that Google fears because they can't compete. Add in that the Xbox is tying in more deeply as time passes and that Win8 tablets are actually taking off and can have the same apps as your desktop, and naturally Google is afraid. Their desktop OS (ChromeOS) doesn't have a foothold, they don't have a good media solution for the TV, Google is a great company but if MS pulls this off they'll be unstoppable. And so far so good. A couple speed bumps but losing Sinofsky should smooth a lot of that out. This isn't about smartphones anymore, it's all ecosystem now. And MS is way ahead of Apple or Android on that front. Desktop, Xbox, tablets, smartphones, all sharing back and forth easily, one ecosystem.

This isn't about smartphones anymore, it's all ecosystem now. And MS is way ahead of Apple or Android on that front. Desktop, Xbox, tablets, smartphones, all sharing back and forth easily, one ecosystem.

This is a large part of where I'm coming from but I also just _really like_ the WP7 experience.

My Wife has WP7 and I got Android 2.3... i'll take her WP7 over android at this point as well. not being able to answer a phone call because your screen digitizer has locked up in android again gets rather embarrassing. played with android 4.x casually when looking at replacement phones for my failing Galaxy S, and honestly I don't see anything significantly different. more polished, smoother, yes, but nothing jumped out as a game changing difference. the more focused nature of WP7/8 appeals to me more, mainly because still tend to use my phone for phone calls, web browsing, e-mail monitoring and text messaging. Android's open source nature doesn't really create a better experience for those usages.

News flash, almost everyone uses Windows so they are already in Microsoft's ecosystem. And it's an ecosystem that Google fears because they can't compete. Add in that the Xbox is tying in more deeply as time passes and that Win8 tablets are actually taking off and can have the same apps as your desktop, and naturally Google is afraid. Their desktop OS (ChromeOS) doesn't have a foothold, they don't have a good media solution for the TV, Google is a great company but if MS pulls this off they'll be unstoppable. And so far so good. A couple speed bumps but losing Sinofsky should smooth a lot of that out. This isn't about smartphones anymore, it's all ecosystem now. And MS is way ahead of Apple or Android on that front. Desktop, Xbox, tablets, smartphones, all sharing back and forth easily, one ecosystem.

The desktop / laptop market is shrinking while the mobile market is expanding, as we should all know your phone can replace your PC, and google is soon to be moving heavily into the gaming space with console like devices. Google is already in most of the smart TVs.You can say they have tablets and smart phones but they dont really , no one is using their tablets and smart phones. Google / Apple still have a huge advantage there.

It is true that MS currently has the desktop / laptop market right now but in recent years that has been heavily erroded by apple and google will be taking advantage of that mistep. The next couple years are going to be critical to the future and regardless of how you feel about windows 8 the public opinion is not that it is a smash hit it should have been.

MS is not ahead in the ecosystem because they only have / had 1 ecosystem the desktop and office, now they have xbox but all that assumes you actually have or care about xbox otherwise its a mute point, and since the xbox ecosystem actually has hurt their PC business it could be seen as a negative.

The point is simple the trends are on the side of google and until MS gets their partners to start making high end phones this is all unlikely to change. Yes google is a afraid of MS, and just the same MS is very afraid of google.

Right now today, the apps, and everything are sitting on google side, W8 and WP8 are way behind, so the only question is what about office? Well since the OP is in the apple ecosystem we can assume that is also a mute point.

I did that recently, it was fairly painless transition. I'm also wondering whether or not to ditch Gmail to Outlook since it is much better in my opinion. Copying the mail is simple and all I'd have to do is set Gmail to forward mail and change emails everywhere (that's a pain but mail forward option makes it less painful). But that doesn't really have anything to do with this.

I did that recently, it was fairly painless transition. I'm also wondering whether or not to ditch Gmail to Outlook since it is much better in my opinion. Copying the mail is simple and all I'd have to do is set Gmail to forward mail and change emails everywhere (that's a pain but mail forward option makes it less painful). But that doesn't really have anything to do with this.

Do you use Google Calendar? Were you able to migrate Google Calendar/Tasks to Hotmail Calendar/To-Do's ?

I've used all 3.

Samsung Focus
Iphone 3GS
Samsung Galaxy S3

I have to say I like WP the most, I started with the Iphone, and went on to WP7 and a carrier switch forced me to get a new handset so I went with the S3 since WP8 was not yet out.

Android: the best description of this is that it is like a full blown OS on your phone. Customize it in almost any way you like, font, font size, background, widgets of all sizes and shapes, different launchers(Interface) etc.

But also is the least stable IMO. My phone still reboots once in a while, and a fair bit of apps are just crap. and Fragmentation really sucks on this platform.

The interface can be slow /choppy (much better with 4.1 but still has some slow downs)

I find androids keyboard to be the least intuitive of all the mobile OSes, but there are third party keyboards available.

OS integration with some apps is pretty good.

WP: Just played with it, haven't had a WP8 handset, just WP7.

Interface is fast, smooth, has some customizations available, intuitive as well.

Keyboard is very accurate and easy to type on.

Stable, I don't remember the last time an app crashed (windows is the most stable, my how the times have changed).

OS integration with apps is pretty good now too.

Least amount of apps, but don't let that discourage you, the big number that android flaunts includes some really shitty apps, and lots of live wallpapers, then free versions of those live wallpapers, etc... you get the idea...

I really like the music / video app on WP as well, the contacts manager etc.

With the lastest hardware, WP8 is pretty damn quick, I think ill switch back at some point :).

I'm going to play devils advocate, if I may: I made hte opposite switch, I went from Android (HTC EVO4G) to an iPhone5, and honestly, there's only 1 program I miss, which will be solved when the Jailbreak arives (and technically is still avalible on a stock iPhone if you jump through enough hoops)

The way it goes is you buy into an ecosystem and you expand it. I have had an iPod Touch since 1st Gen and I've played with iPhones before but due to cost never really bought into them. However, I did get an iPad and that was the first step, I later bought my iPhone, and now an AppleTV, and planning an Airport (for streaming music) and a second AppleTV. This is not counting the fact I've spent over $100 on apps and given the balance in iTunes will spend another $60 at least (I upgraded my iPad during the Back to School promotion so I got some free gift cards)

On the other paw, I looked at the android rout which is identical: you buy a tablet, a phone, and either a streaming box or a cheep-as-dirt system-on-a-stick USB "computer" and make it a HTPC. You buy your apps as well, obviously.

However the big issue here is that for the most part these two ecosystems do NOT play together well... compatability between android and iOS is very low hardware wise. So once you buy in, unless you want to shell out a lot of $$$ and a lot of time to reconfigure everything, your stuck.

As has already been mentioned in this thread, Apple is good about keeping updates rolling, iirc the 3GS can run iOS6, which is a level of upgradability unheard of in the android world. Also, as per my own experiances, iOS is FAR more stable than android (especially when your device starts getting old and you have to go to "custom roms" to update to the latest android OS)

Apple also has a major benfiet in the media department. my iTunes library is avalible on all my devices and syncs on it's own (and you can drag+drop to copy from one PC to another over the network) you can even access all of this on the AppleTV in case your sound system is connected to your media center isntead of your PC.

Android is focusing on bigger screens, that's all nice, but unelss you also ahve bigger hands it gets cumbersome. I had the Galaxy Note2 and nearly dropped it trying to use it one-handed, which for a lot of people is a vital feature. And while the Note2 is nice, it is STILL too small to replace a tablet for a lot of people, so some of us would still be carrying a (now giant) phone + tablet everywhere.

Obviously a lot of this depends on the user. I'm not trying to say "apple is the best" I know a LOT of people who cant stand iOS, and likewise a lot of people will read this and say "well none of that is an issue for me" and yes, I know there are android alternatives to a lot of the programs I mentioned (I'm actually a big fan of PLEX as a media server/HTPC app) All I'm saying is to decide what's right for you, not what everyone tells you to choose. I chose Apple's ecosystem and went in whole-hog and it works great FOR ME, but this is only one example out of many.

Yeah, I revisit this every so often throughout the year and I have tried many Android models and I've always gone back to the iPhone. I've had apple products in the past but now the iPhone and ipad are the only I have now, if I'm owning apple products I'm sticking to iOS, and not really using Macs anymore. But I find even with Windows PCs, apple plays well with them and my iTunes library works great in it, I've bought music and movies and I'm most familiar with it, I can also stream music in my car with a integrated cable. So that's big for me.

I guess I sometimes get tempted with some android phones that come out, I too tried a Note 2 and didn't like it much. I do like Android a lot in general but iOS just seems to fit me better.

I've tried a Droid Incredible, droid x, droid 2, Thunderbolt, Xerpia Play, Galaxy Nexus, Droid Razr Maxx, Galaxy S3, and gave a friends note 2 a try... All came back to iPhone. Lol. Maybe it's established that iOS is for me, but maybe a release this year can get me to switch over. I definitely wouldn't mind giving WP8 a shot though. They do look nice, I don't really have a desire to root and install Roms on my device or anything. I actually use my phones for pretty basic stuff. But I liked the idea of certain widgets on android and being able to switch my home screens around better, but I always go back to iOS. I also appreciate the smoothness and fluidity of iOS more then anything I think, I find that even with some of the super android smartphones there's some choppiness when I navigate around the phones. If WP8 has this same kind of fluidness, I think it could be a contender as well.

Thanks for the input all.

I have one widgit I really miss from android - the toggle bar for the radios, even more now that I have an LTE phone and no LTE service in 2/4 towns I'm in... the media widget was nice too, but I can double-tap home and swipe right to get that on iPhone. (and once the JB is released I'll have the radio toggle with SB settings)

I've never tried Windows Phone, but from what I've seen and read it's not that great and it's running on older hardware. I wouldn't mind demo'ing it for a week or something but unless I'm severely mistaken it's just a mess compared to android/iOS... I know I hate Windows 8 on my (secondary) laptop... I can hardly use the trackpad without triggering some new function and the start "page" is just one big clusterbuck...

Apple does need to break out of its shell with iOS, but I'm not sure if I'd say it's boring -- after all, Android has had some common language for years, and even Android 4.x feels very familiar.
IMO Apple is neck and neck with Samsung in the hardware category but where Android's updates give people the impression of truly upgrading something more than changing the number, iOS was starting to become stale and head off in a weird direction under Scott Forstall's command, implementing that skeuomorphism concept that even an Apple rep told me was terrible, the Apple Maps fiasco, and the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality in a tech segment where people want something drastically new every few weeks/months.

Of course this led to Apple getting rid of Forstall and replacing him with Jony Ive, who despite not being CEO, is the authoritative figure for their product decisions. So if Ive can pull off what he does with the hardware design, iOS 7 is expected to be the first version of iOS that will get a major overhaul not only functionally but aesthetically, which is the biggest criticism by far of iOS.

Get a GS3 or Nexus 4 and buy an iPad if you don't have one already. Tablets are better app machines than smartphones and you'll get to keep all the great apps you have on iOS. Odds are that most or all of them are universal applications, plus you get an Android phone that you'll be happy with.

Win-win.

Get a GS3 or Nexus 4 and buy an iPad if you don't have one already. Tablets are better app machines than smartphones and you'll get to keep all the great apps you have on iOS. Odds are that most or all of them are universal applications, plus you get an Android phone that you'll be happy with.

Win-win.

This is really bad advice lol, what good are all the apps if they aren't in your pocket? Tablets are a fad, they will only make the most sense long run when they completely replace peoples laptops. Why spend $500 for a niche use device unless you have a situation such as you are going to let the kids use it most of the time.

Worth it.. Too muich Android here and there. There is no reason why you wouldn't love Windows phone 8

There is no reason why you wouldn't love Windows phone 8

Sure there are.

WP is a nice platform, but it still has a bit of catching up to do from what I've seen.

If I was looking to change platforms just for the sake of change though, I think I would go to WP8 from Android. But if I did, I know I would be missing a lot of functionality that I use on a daily basis (mostly from third party apps, but also from core Google services that I depend on for work and school).

This is really bad advice lol, what good are all the apps if they aren't in your pocket? Tablets are a fad, they will only make the most sense long run when they completely replace peoples laptops. Why spend $500 for a niche use device unless you have a situation such as you are going to let the kids use it most of the time.

This really depends on your usage, I use my iPad FAR more than my laptop, it has insanely better battery life (8+ hours vs 3+ hours), it has a nice sized display, it's more convenient for control in bed, in a car, or walking around, it's much lighter to carry. I almost always have my iPad and Phone with me but I rarely carry my laptop unless I need to pun full-blown windows applications instead of "apps" (and the times when this is needed is shrinking with the apps becoming more advanced, I'll often type out documents in simpleText or Pages instead of using my laptop) also I use it for web browsing and short replies on forums or for viewing media. Also most games you can now map the controls to a gampad so that's a lot less to carry than a laptop.

As I said, for some people this isn't a solution, for others it is, just depends on how you use your mobile devices.

So you are one of the people have replaced your laptop with your iPad. I personally cannot fit the iPad in my pocket and I dont carry a purse so the phone is way better. The only difference between your iPad and a phone is the size of screen so bridge the gap with a bigger phone.

So you are one of the people have replaced your laptop with your iPad. I personally cannot fit the iPad in my pocket and I dont carry a purse so the phone is way better. The only difference between your iPad and a phone is the size of screen so bridge the gap with a bigger phone.

And a 15-inch laptop is exactly the same as a netbook, just with a bigger screen, right?

The screen size is everything. It dictates what apps you can run and what experience you can have. There's no way I'd run a music app like Djay on a smartphone (although you can, as there's an iPhone version), as the tablet area provides much more room for interface elements.

Add that there are actual performance differences (the iPad 4 uses an A6X with a higher clock speed and faster graphics than the A6 in the iPhone 5) in some of these devices and no, I wouldn't just consider a tablet to be an oversized smartphone. Mind you, Samsung's Every New Phone Must Always Be Bigger strategy probably means it'll be hawking 7-inch tablets as though they were phones, before long...

WP7/WP8 will only start to appeal when it has similar specs to upcoming Android smartphones.

I do like WP in a way. They're basically like a small computer and allows for efficient and simple web browsing.

However the ecosystem of WP is still lacking compared to iOS/Android. Until this improves, I'll be sticking to iOS/Android.

And a 15-inch laptop is exactly the same as a netbook, just with a bigger screen, right?

The screen size is everything. It dictates what apps you can run and what experience you can have. There's no way I'd run a music app like Djay on a smartphone (although you can, as there's an iPhone version), as the tablet area provides much more room for interface elements.

Add that there are actual performance differences (the iPad 4 uses an A6X with a higher clock speed and faster graphics than the A6 in the iPhone 5) in some of these devices and no, I wouldn't just consider a tablet to be an oversized smartphone. Mind you, Samsung's Every New Phone Must Always Be Bigger strategy probably means it'll be hawking 7-inch tablets as though they were phones, before long...

Not really much more to add :D

I do carry a messenger bag or backpack, so I have extra space to store stuff. The big difference for me outside of the obvious more screen space (or perhaps due to the space) is the iPad is large enough I can type on it normally instead of thumb-typing on my phone, which I'm not so great at...

@ Aurelius:
Just think in 2030 or so, the Samsung Note 20 "smartphone" will be 20-inches in size! :p lol

WP7/WP8 will only start to appeal when it has similar specs to upcoming Android smartphones.

I do like WP in a way. They're basically like a small computer and allows for efficient and simple web browsing.

However the ecosystem of WP is still lacking compared to iOS/Android. Until this improves, I'll be sticking to iOS/Android.

That statement would easily been true before the launch of WP8. But since they came out, in terms of specs, most WP8 devices aren't far behind higher end Android phones now. The newer Lumia's and 8X's and Ativ have 720p displays with Snapdragon S4 chips to drive them (same as the Galaxy S3, One X, Razr HDs, etc.).

I agree with the ecosystem though. But it seems MS is brute forcing themselves into it the best they can. I hope some of the kinks in Windows 8 get worked out, because once they get a good relationship going between their mobile and desktop platforms, it will be pretty enticing to a lot of people very fast. Google already decided to stop supporting Exchange/Outlook sync on personal/free e-mail accounts, which annoyed me highly. I don't see the logic in that because they are subtly forcing me away from them with restrictions on Windows. I hope they don't break anything else anymore.

Yep but the problem is no company is willing to put this on their flagship device or unique devices for various reasons, so until MS forces them to do it its going to have issues. The only other possible move would be for MS to go ultra low end, basically give them away for free. But this would be risky in the USA, in a developing economy it might work. Try to own a market like india and a bunch of other places then make your way back the the USA walmart style.

Back