Broke out Quake I last night.

theNoid said:
Don't forget it introduced the world to ...

"Mouse-look" No more FPS using the keyboad to look around. Quake 1 is one of the best games ever.

No it didn't. Mouse-look was introduced in Terminator: Future Shock, a game which came out almost a year earlier. Anyways, Quake 1 was a pretty fun game back in the day, but I could never see myself playing it over, especially today.

I played it from time to time at home before getting deployed. I even brought it with me to Iraq and play it on my laptop (it is one of the few FPS's I can play worth a shit on this Gateway). I remember I first started playing it when I was about 26 or 27, can't really remember I'm 35 now and when you get this old your memory isn't so good. What were we talking about... Oh, yeah I remember the old lans before the simple thinks like cat 5 and DHCP and I don't miss that very much at all...

Loto_Bak said:
My god...

Quake 2 was all about 3 mods (with a few smallers) 1) Lithium - Rune/offhand grapple 2) LMctf - Loki Minions CTF 3) Action quake 2

Action Quake 2 (aq2) is the basis of the poor exscuse for a game called counter strike *poke poke*

It featured realistic weapons, damage hit zones, bandaging, limping, and brought fame to strife jumping. It was the most inavative mod ever. It also head the largest mapping/ladder community. It was (and is) the mod to play

Quake 2 demo is still free to download. If you download the action quake mod and a few maps. along with all seeing eye you can still hop on a action quake 2 server today (yes yes... i still play action quake 2 :) )

What's up loto :D

rogue3092 said:
No it didn't. Mouse-look was introduced in Terminator: Future Shock, a game which came out almost a year earlier. Anyways, Quake 1 was a pretty fun game back in the day, but I could never see myself playing it over, especially today.

I remember using a mouse to look around in Wolf3d/doom/heretic... But only alon the X axis (left/right.) Moving to Quake +mlook was simple. Trying to kill everything flying at you from all directions wasn't.

But... yeah, Quake is a blast.

Hi guys, please check out www.railwarz.com. It is a very fast paced, lithium hook based, rail only, ctf mod for Quake 2. Since quake 2 had come out, I have not found any other game that compares to it. I still play railwarz almost every night, where there are some people playing with skill levels you need to see to believe. As for any online community, the more the merrier. Check it out. Please. I need more people to rail :)

There is mod called Tenebrae for quake I which uses the same Doom3 lighting and shadows. It makes the game look great -plus if you add new high def. textures and new monster skins it's look just as good as some of the newer games out there now.Check it out at http://tenebrae.sourceforge.net/.

This brings back so many memories. I remember downloading the original Quake demo over my 14.4 modem the day the demo was released. It was split up into something like 8 parts so it would fit on floppies. You could also download one GIANT (10mb or so) zip, but I couldn't because my modem wouldn't stay connected for that long.

I also remember QuakeWorld and QuakeSpy(QSpy), which later turned into the bloatware program we know as GameSpy.

I would play Quake and Quake2 with my friends over dialup using IPX. It was much easier than setting up TCP/IP at the time. One of us would be the host, and the other person would dial into their computer. It provided lower pings than playing over the internet, since it was two computers directly linked up.

Rocket Arena was the shit. Especially the beta version they made for Q2 BEFORE they added the Q2 specific maps, and they just used the original RA maps. Those were classic.

I probably had the most fun of my life playing those two games.

When Q3 came out, it seems like a new generation of gamers came along that had never been there for the Q1 and Q2 scenes, and it lost something. I stopped playing around that time because the community wasn't the same anymore.

Such is life!

don't forget about the original planetquake.com, when it wasn't the craptastic place it is now

and ftp.cdrom.com was THE place for all your quake file needs.

ahhh yes, qspy ... damn that program was great before they changed their name to gamespy and it went to shit.

One word: Qcrack

I remember you could grab the demo and unlock the entire game with that thing, plus the whole back catalog. At least that is what I read at the time.

DevilMan said:
One word: Qcrack

I remember you could grab the demo and unlock the entire game with that thing, plus the whole back catalog. At least that is what I read at the time.

never had qcrack, although i actually baught the game.

the strangest thing is, i honestly don't remember when/where i purchased the game. i remember when i baught quake2 cause my mom rushed me to the mall the first day it was available, but i don't remember purchasing quake.

i remember downloading quake shareware to play on mplayer, playing qball and such (damn qball was fun) but i don't remember purchasing the game even though i have the original cd (in its paper cd case) and i had the original game box till i moved out.

anasazi said:
don't forget about the original planetquake.com, when it wasn't the craptastic place it is now

and ftp.cdrom.com was THE place for all your quake file needs.

ahhh yes, qspy ... damn that program was great before they changed their name to gamespy and it went to shit.

ftp.cdrom.com! That server had everything that was on the internet at that time. EVERYTHING.

Walnut Creek CDROM. Whatever happened to them?

I played Q1 every night for over 9 months, never missing an evening until I had a B-day party and decided it was a good night to end my 'streak'. I played 90% of the time on a Cincinnati server named ISOC. We played CTF exclusively, and many great battles were fought on those maps. The runes were a total blast, as you could hear each one .. strength and haste were my faves as they both had a brutal, menacing sound to them.

I just got back and old PC I sold to someone, and it had a Canopus 6meg Voodoo1 in it. Dunno what I'm gonna do with that, but its a helluva great card for that game (in its day).
Thanks for the memories, this thread shows a lot of old school gamers are still around.

I played Quakeworld Team Fortress (qwtf) and i still play Quakeworld Clan Areana qwca and Rocket Arena 2 (ra2 for q2) on a daily basis.

RA2 and qwca still have a relatively huge following.

for those that played quakeworld...dont' forget to check out morequakeworld....even better.

TMCM said:
Anyway, anyone remember Dank&Skud?
Yep rofl :D. What was it they said one time... "I love the smell of fresh shambler meat in the morning".

anasazi said:
its rare to find people who have an ICQ number that is 6 digits long ... let alone anyone who even knows wtf ICQ is anymore.
Ah I used to have one, before ICQ "lost" my number for no good reason, those bastards! Alas it was taken over by AOL and AIM became the standard.

Quake sucked. Duke Nukem 3D far overshadowed its release. Pixelized blood droplets, vs brains/eyeballs flying toward you? Ah so much more satisfying and swift. Shake it, baby!

Q2CTF on the other hand... I swear, I never had more than 3 hours of sleep for a 6 month period. Quad damage and the quad tech - 30 seconds of blood-showered, divinity. That game almost swallowed me whole.

Jicks said:
ftp.cdrom.com! That server had everything that was on the internet at that time. EVERYTHING.

Walnut Creek CDROM. Whatever happened to them?
They stopped the free hosting. :(

WOW, the more I read this, the more stuff just keeps coming back. Like playing with Utley and the COD boys on HIWAAY servers till 4 in the morning...

Am I the only one that had the Verite V1000 card to play V-Quake with? THAT was the shit - sweet anti-aliased graphics. Anti-aliasing reallly kicked ass back at those low resolutions. The leap in image quality that brought was perhaps the single largest there has been yet, in gaming history.

Walkintarget said:
I played Q1 every night for over 9 months, never missing an evening until I had a B-day party and decided it was a good night to end my 'streak'. I played 90% of the time on a Cincinnati server named ISOC. We played CTF exclusively, and many great battles were fought on those maps. The runes were a total blast, as you could hear each one .. strength and haste were my faves as they both had a brutal, menacing sound to them.

I just got back and old PC I sold to someone, and it had a Canopus 6meg Voodoo1 in it. Dunno what I'm gonna do with that, but its a helluva great card for that game (in its day).
Thanks for the memories, this thread shows a lot of old school gamers are still around.

I was in ClanSpam and we would play in quake.golden.net that was a kickass server.... any one know what ever happend to RangerGone Bad 3? I really wanted to see that movie damnit

rogue3092 said:

As far as I know, Bungie's Marathon had mouse-look first. Released Dec 21, 1994, almost a year earlier than Terminator.

ragnarok56 said:
As far as I know, Bungie's Marathon had mouse-look first. Released Dec 21, 1994, almost a year earlier than Terminator.
Which was in turn taken from Ultima Underworld...

Guys, you really should just start asking me for your answers to all your video game trivia questions...

I loved playing all the doom and quake games multiplayer. Doom on 10-base2 coax was my first lanparty. 4 of us. soo fun.

I still have q2 and lmctf installed too. Every so often at our lan parties we play it for a few hours.

Since everyone else is pimping mod's, check out http://www.threewave.com for the best q3 ctf mod. Has 5 gameplay styles built into it. One being Classic ctf, with runes and a grapple, and Capturestrike (my fav) with rounds where you trade between playing offense or defense. If you live in the south central us theres a good server in Dallas called gibbles-n-bits (it's in my gamespy favorites). Come play with us. If the server is empty, jump in ppl will come usually within 10 minutes. if it's full, jump in so you are in line to play. :)

GoodBoy

For whoever asked, I believe the bot you were referring to was the Reaper Bot.

Congratulations HardOCP, you got me to register to post on your forums despite me telling myself i would only read, not post.

Some of my best gaming memories are tied to Quake (1). It started with this program called "Rift," that could only find about 4 servers. One of those servers was from the company Lavasoft, and was always full.. I even memorized the ip address to connect faster, not sure if anyone has ever done that but it let me in before anyone else if you hit shift-up, enter, shift-up, enter-- until you got in.

I played netquake CTF/DM (netquake, predecessor to gods gift to quake, quakeworld), quakeworld CTF/DM.. and found this server called Madhouse (runes server) with the coolest runes ever (one was a ninja rune, made your grapple 3X faster) *clink clink clink* *grab flag* *clink clink clink clink* and you're home free. I got into Mega TF too, great mod and it had me hooked until i stopped playing Quake. I came back later to play RA (rocket Arena), but eventually had a hardrive crash and lost the game and never re-installed.

At my peak, I used to watch demos of Dog Pound VS The City Clan (each had names like Salt Lake City, UT, etc.) until 4 in the morning trying to figure out how they did it all. Amazing gamers, I still don't know how they pulled it off with average an average 200 ping (they were only allowed one LPB, usually).

Quake 1, now that was a game!!

-Aeurix (played as Nem, Skyblade, Xnem)

Critofur said:
Am I the only one that had the Verite V1000 card to play V-Quake with? THAT was the shit - sweet anti-aliased graphics. Anti-aliasing reallly kicked ass back at those low resolutions. The leap in image quality that brought was perhaps the single largest there has been yet, in gaming history.
too funny!!! a buddy had one and I almost got one but went with the 4 meg matrox? SKA-REEMING power!

gr8 thread...COAX, Q1, and war2

"ROOOOOOOOR!!!!! ROOOOOOOOR!!!!! ROOOOOOOOR!!!!! ROOOOOOOOR!!!!!"
"DINKY DINKY DINKY BOOM!!!!"

*haste rune while launching grenades everywhere* :p

Critofur said:

I remember my Dad and I driving to a CompUSA in Dallas to pick one up. The difference between software mode and V-Quake was jaw-dropping. Some great gaming memories with that card. :)

I also remember using QSpy trying to find a "low ping" server running TF-2fort4. There was something about the original TF that isn't in the HL version. :( But some of the greatest gaming of all time would have to be Q2-CTF and AQ2. I wasted quite a bit of time on those.

Well I got ahold of a Radeon 7000 and cranked up some GL Quake. Which BTW runs badass on that card. Still can't play anything new very well. Despite my other robust system components.

Anyway, I was having a great time with it. That being said I'd love to play some of the newer games I've got. That 7000 is pathetic. This waiting for the 6800GT's and Ultra's in PCI-E to become available is killing me.

what clans were ya'll in?

i was in SK (SinTheTiK) and [NERD], a few others i honestly don't remember

This thread has convinced me to post on [H] for the first time, too.

I remember when I was 13 years old, trying to download qtest on the 14.4... Mom angrily told me later that day she had been trying to call home, but the phone had been busy all afternoon. I completely broke the "1/2 an hour maximum online time" rule for daytime modem use. But I didn't care, because the screen tilted sideways a bit whenever I strafed left and right! That was SOOOO cool!

There was a mod group, Impact Development, they made a mod called Quake Rally, where you could race cars and slide them around and stuff. I tried making a map for that mod, but because I was working on a 486-66 with 16MB of RAM, each map BSP took days, not to mention the light and vis, so I eventually gave up. The coder, Ryan Feltrin, tried to compile the maps for me, but something went wrong, I can't remember. The guy eventually went on to make the Eraser bot for Quake2, and then became a full-time game developer as far as I know.

I bought the level editor Qoole for Quake, I thought it was better than the two dozen other level editors I tried (and I never liked Worldcraft much). I haven't made maps in a long time, but I'm guessing we're long past the days when each polygon is hand-placed? I remember one of the first maps I downloaded for Quake was of this castle, and in the Readme the author said he built the map by typing coordinates into Notepad!

I was way into LMCTF and Action Quake 2 (I did the clan thing for both mods), but don't forget that AQ2 was preceded by the Navy SEALS mod for Quake, with the awesome gun models done by Goose. That mod had the lasersight, locational damage, and realistic weapons/sounds, although the weapons were a bit unbalanced: you could tear right through single-player Quake with them!

The bot that TMCM was thinking of is probably the Reaper bot, which was quite an achievement, although I think it was eventually shown that the bot cheated a bit by using sound cues from opposite sides of the map. The creator is Steven Polge, and after he made the Reaper bot he got hired to do the bots in Unreal. I think he's now the lead programmer at Epic or something.

Does anyone remember the two programmers from the Quake Command website, Wedge and Choryoth, who started the short-lived Pork Giblet Meal craze? I think I actually ate those pork riblet TV dinners a few times because of them. For those of you with visual memories, you may recall this graphic they made:
dem1.gif

They eventually went over to Valve Software to work on Half-Life, and they still have an old (and funny) webpage online (though it's not as old as the original Quake Command site).

Um, let's see, what other nostalgic names can I drop... remember Thresh? I have the recorded demo of the deathmatch he played to win John Carmack's Ferrari. How about Cujo, the single-player dog-bot? And Zaphoid, the maker of CTF and the original LPB site? Er, wait, that was Zoid who made CTF, not Zaphoid.

And finally, while reliving my youth and browsing antiquated Quake web sites, I ran into this one: http://djquake.quakepit.com/. Check out the Archives, the cartoons are absolutely laugh-out-loud funny (if you played Quake, that is). I also ran into about ten sites where the last news post is from 1997 or so, with the author saying "Sorry I haven't been around much, I'm working on such-and-such an addition to the mod, it'll be done in a week or so". Kind of sad, really. *sniff* But maybe this will cheer you up: http://files.gameaholic.com/idgames.d/quake/ has hundreds of old Quake mods available for download! Most of the mirrors are long gone, but the ftp.sunet.se site, bless it's heart, still hosts many of the old mods and conversions.

After reading this thread, I dug through my old CD-R collection and found archived versions of my Quake and Quake2 directories. The CD was almost completely failed: it took over half an hour to copy the RAR files, but it managed to do so without any read errors. A few months from now, that CD will probably be completely unreadable.

Quake? Old school? Ha. I once set up a four player game of Doom2 involving three machines connected by serial cable and one dialling in by modem. (Yes, you really COULD do that...took six hours to make it work, though). Beat that. :)

To the poster above - I ran a speed contest site for Quake Rally, briefly. It was very popular for a couple of weeks (four hundred hits a day or so) till my ISP took me down for using too much bandwidth, heh. I don't think anyone ever beat my 42.7sec lap time for the first course, either. That was a fun mod.

Anyone breaking out Quake *needs* to go to http://www.planetquake.com/qdq/ and download all the stuff there. The Quake speedrunning guys are insane. You won't get to see much of the game, though, too much of it is missed out ;)

ahhh... the reaper bot... that thing was narley.... it would kickmy ass all the time. it was funny when it would get stuck on a staircase or hall though. Am I the only person that bought Shrak for Quake? It was a great mod but for $20 it was kind of a rip off for what you could get for free.

Quake rally was fun but I could never find any servers for it.

I think I still have the demo where Remaro was beat by KillCreek... I think they started dating for a while but I havn't heard much about her in many years.

Romero and Killcreek played two out of three, Romero won one map (his speciality) and Killcreek won two, IIRC. Romero had an odd playstyle obviously hardly adapted from Doom, he hardly ever looked up and down. Killcreek was never the best female player around, IIRC at the time she was around there was another player whose nickname started with K who was better. Can't remember the whole name for the life of me, though. Ah well.

Yeah, there were hardly ever any Quake Rally servers - no one much played it multiplayer. Dunno why.

this is why I love the [H]

Some of you people are the only *real* people left on the net it seems.

I started laughing when i found this thread because about a month ago me and my suite-mate here at college started playing through all of the Doom games over the network in co-op. Took us a week to beat Doom II and we have played for hours every night since. Then I downloaded a video of a guy beating the game in 14 minutes and realized how bad we really are... At least I now know me and him are not the only ones still stuck in the pre-half life days

i would love a copy of quake1... sounds right up my alley.

(not to mention that it would hardly tax my gfx card)

anyone want to make me an offer?

i have the shareware/full cd-rom. you have to buy the key to unlock the reast of it. i do not think that id supports this anymore. a shame i would not mind playing it some more. i obvisouly keep it for the music. however, if anyone points me in the right direction!!!!

wasnt doom some of the best co-op? we even played quake co-op. when win95 plus included dial up server gaming for me was at a new level. that increased gaming and i think that interestingly enough as social as the internet is, gaming companies promote individualism more. funny, all these years and i thought i would be playing more co-op games because of the internet. mes wants more co-op gamess.

anyone else notice how the age and maturity level of this thread is substantially higher than the rest of this forum?

damn i miss the old days ...

No-one's completed Doom that fast without cheating :). the 14:xx demo is heavily 'cheated' (the official term is tools-assisted) - it's recorded with heavy slow motion and is created by gluing together hundreds of little demos (the author tries one bit till it's absolutely right then goes on to the next bit). The fastest completion of Doom2 on UV without tools is 26:xx, if I remember correctly. In Nightmare, it's 29:xx. I have the current record for Doom 1 episode 1 on UV, at 5:11, excluding E1M8 (for historical reasons) - just had to brag about that one ;). As I said, there's similar stuff for Quake at http://www.planetquake.com/qdq and http://www.planetquake.com/qdq/sda , it's hugely recommended. The Doom stuff is at http://competn.cjb.net/ if anyone else wants it, the best way to watch Doom stuff nowadays is with prboom - http://prboom.sourceforge.net/ .

Back