Broken Asus 3090 strix?

///AMG

2[H]4U
So yesterday I started getting a ton of BSOD within minutes of running a game. So I reinstalled drivers, then used 3dmark to stress test and furmark and prime95 and no issues. But run a game and BSOD. So I swap the PSU, nope. At this point I'm thinking oh no and swap the 3090 Strix with my 3090 FTW3 from one of my other rigs and no BSOD. FPS in COD cold war is a good 10-15% higher too, but temps report 10c higher than my 3090 Strix. Do you guys think the Strix is broken? I bought the 3 year warranty from microcenter when I got the strix, but I don't want to make the trip there and waste time if it isn't broken.

So yesterday I started getting a ton of BSOD within minutes of running a game. So I reinstalled drivers, then used 3dmark to stress test and furmark and prime95 and no issues. But run a game and BSOD. So I swap the PSU, nope. At this point I'm thinking oh no and swap the 3090 Strix with my 3090 FTW3 from one of my other rigs and no BSOD. FPS in COD cold war is a good 10-15% higher too, but temps report 10c higher than my 3090 Strix. Do you guys think the Strix is broken? I bought the 3 year warranty from microcenter when I got the strix, but I don't want to make the trip there and waste time if it isn't broken.
If the strix shows the same symptoms in your second rig then yes. You made a wise choice in purchasing the extended warranty. :(

If it was broken, then it wouldn't pass the furmark, that's something else and not gpu.Do you have the latest gpu vbios if it exists?

On one hand, furmark and kombustor(especially kombustor) stress my old cards more than my old games. But, I have heard of those two programs running fine, then a game comes along and throws an odd-shaped wrench into the gears.

If one card works in both systems without issue, and the strix has issues in both systems, and previously worked in at least one of the systems without issue, then it's a pretty easy call.

I had the same issue and needed to rma my card. If u swapped and the other card doesn't crash then most likely the 1st card is faulty. Type up the rma and send it in and wait 4 weeks. Good on you for having a backup.

have you messed around with the CPU or RAM lately?

have you messed around with the CPU or RAM lately?
I have not messed with any settings the last year. Only thing that changed was my 980 pro 2tb ssd died and Samsung sent me a new one. But it's been 2 months and I've only started to have this problem the last day or two. Going to pop the asus 3090 into the other rig and see.

If it was broken, then it wouldn't pass the furmark, that's something else and not gpu.Do you have the latest gpu vbios if it exists?
I do not. I got it last May and it's been in the same system with the same settings and vbios. Like I stated only thing that changed was the ssd but it worked fine for the last two months up until yesterday. Did a fresh install of windows when I got the new ssd. But I will test and update you guys later today.

I have not messed with any settings the last year. Only thing that changed was my 980 pro 2tb ssd died and Samsung sent me a new one. But it's been 2 months and I've only started to have this problem the last day or two. Going to pop the asus 3090 into the other rig and see.

I do not. I got it last May and it's been in the same system with the same settings and vbios. Like I stated only thing that changed was the ssd but it worked fine for the last two months up until yesterday. Did a fresh install of windows when I got the new ssd. But I will test and update you guys later today.
Run some ssd diskchecks and stress tests. Rule out any potential.

On one hand, furmark and kombustor(especially kombustor) stress my old cards more than my old games. But, I have heard of those two programs running fine, then a game comes along and throws an odd-shaped wrench into the gears.

If one card works in both systems without issue, and the strix has issues in both systems, and previously worked in at least one of the systems without issue, then it's a pretty easy call.
And the question of how current that furmark is, long ago it was used to check the stability of old gpu cards.
But it was strange to me that 3dmark and furmark pass and the game doesn't, but it's obviously possible.
All these games today are very strange and each one is different, they are made quickly, etc., they are ported from consoles to PC and it all turns out pretty bad in the end.
There are many different processors and GPUs, what a mess it would be if someone else came into the game.
For me, sometimes it just throws out rdr2 without any error, bsod and the like... and now be smart and figure out why it crashes,which component is at fault...

And the question of how current that furmark is, long ago it was used to check the stability of old gpu cards.
But it was strange to me that 3dmark and furmark pass and the game doesn't, but it's obviously possible.
All these games today are very strange and each one is different, they are made quickly, etc., they are ported from consoles to PC and it all turns out pretty bad in the end.
There are many different processors and GPUs, what a mess it would be if someone else came into the game.
For me, sometimes it just throws out rdr2 without any error, bsod and the like... and now be smart and figure out why it crashes,which component is at fault...
Furmark and 3dmark passing it confused the hell out of me. COD Cold War and Spiderman remastered BSOD's the strix within a few minutes but not my FTW3.

Furmark and 3dmark passing it confused the hell out of me. COD Cold War and Spiderman remastered BSOD's the strix within a few minutes but not my FTW3.
Yes, obviously possible, games have become very demanding, 3dmark has also become weak.
The best test for the stability of anything is games.And preferably those that have already been patched

Wow I forget how much I paid for the 3090s last year. Took the strix back to microcenter since I have warranty and they just gave me a gift card. 3090s are a good 1k cheaper than when I got them last year.

Wow I forget how much I paid for the 3090s last year. Took the strix back to microcenter since I have warranty and they just gave me a gift card. 3090s are a good 1k cheaper than when I got them last year.
They did not replace the card? F that giftcard noise.

They did not replace the card? F that giftcard noise.
They did not. They just gave me the original purchase price on a gift card. The strix is only 1300 right now but I got 2200 back on gift card. I am just going to sit on the gift card until the 4090 comes out. I was thinking about grabbing another 3090 but I can just use the FTW3 in my ITX system for the time being.

They did not. They just gave me the original purchase price on a gift card. The strix is only 1300 right now but I got 2200 back on gift card. I am just going to sit on the gift card until the 4090 comes out. I was thinking about grabbing another 3090 but I can just use the FTW3 in my ITX system for the time being.
Sweet deal. A while back my friend got a similar deal with the MC warranty on some of his PC components.

Sweet deal. A while back my friend got a similar deal with the MC warranty on some of his PC components.
It actually is. Warranty was $300 for 3 years. I bought it only because I hate Asus warranty dept. Wasn't quite expecting to use it and never bought it before. Guess I will also get it for the 4090.

It actually is. Warranty was $300 for 3 years. I bought it only because I hate Asus warranty dept. Wasn't quite expecting to use it and never bought it before. Guess I will also get it for the 4090.
I don't fully understand, asus has a 24 or 36 month warranty without any payment (some stores have 24 and some 36), at least here in Europe and currently the cheapest strix rtx 3090 is 1790 euros, it has a 24 month warranty and I don't think you can pay extra anywhere for more. Possibly if the card is registered on the Asus site and there is an extra charge for an additional warranty.
You can now buy anything with a gift card (for $2200) or does it have to be graphic? I would then buy two rtx 3090 and sell one(or 1x rtx 3090 and 1x rtx 3080). You just have a coupon for two rtx 3090(maybe not 2 strix), considering that they have become cheaper in your place, and quite a bit

I don't fully understand, asus has a 24 or 36 month warranty without any payment (some stores have 24 and some 36), at least here in Europe and currently the cheapest strix rtx 3090 is 1790 euros, it has a 24 month warranty and I don't think you can pay extra anywhere for more. Possibly if the card is registered on the Asus site and there is an extra charge for an additional warranty.
You can now buy anything with a gift card (for $2200) or does it have to be graphic? I would then buy two rtx 3090 and sell one(or 1x rtx 3090 and 1x rtx 3080). You just have a coupon for two rtx 3090(maybe not 2 strix), considering that they have become cheaper in your place, and quite a bit
extended warranty is to avoid an rma hassle(swap at store) or get all you money back to buy something new when they cant replace it.

i also keep reading the title as broken ass 3090....

They have a 36 month warranty but the last time I dealt with Asus they took too long (motherboard) or they screwed up multiple times (laptop) so I now buy a store warranty on everything asus just in case.

In this case I remember getting the Microcenter warranty because I bought this during the height of the gpu shortage and they told me I would be able to get the purchase price back immediately. They would just call me when they had another and I would be one of the first in line for it without having to camp out or go every morning to check.

The reason I didn’t just buy another is I have multiple systems so I it really doesn’t bother me if one goes down. No point buying a 3090 at this point if the 4090 is coming soon and I don’t absolutely need one. Buying one to sell is a big waste of my time.

Asus tech support here in the US is legendary for its incompetence. The list of things they have pulled to get out of replacing dead hardware is a mile long. Unfortunately recourse here is long and tedious to say the least.
His choice to forgo that headache was incredibly fortunate. Now he's looking at a brand spanking new 4090/ti. That Microcenter warranty definitely paid off.

Back