Broken Capacitors on 7600GT

Black-Tom

Limp Gawd
Hey all,

My card has been running really hot recently so I opened up the case as a last desperate attempt to clean out the heat sink and noticed this:

IMG_4524.jpg

How bad is this? The card is pretty old, do you think that I'll be able to rma?

I would just buy some replacement caps and solder them on. Err, not even buy. Pull off another/older card? Make sure they're the same ratings.

Who is the manufacturer? If it has a lifetime warrenty then I would indeed RMA

The manufacturer is EVGA, but I am not sure what and if it has a warranty associated with it, and how I would pull all that together after the two years or so that i've been using this card.

What are the negative effects of broken capacitors? I think I understand how they work, but I'm not sure what the danger is with having broken ones.

EVGA has a lifetime warranty and is a great company to deal with. I would call them or they have a rep here on the forums I think.

EVGA has a lifetime warranty and is a great company to deal with. I would call them or they have a rep here on the forums I think.

It has a lifetime warranty if he registered it within thirty days.

Well I hope that I registered it.

As for replacement, what card would max out my hardware without the rest of my computer hindering it? My computer is in my sig.

Also, what card out of the 9XXX generation or 2XX generation is the equivalent of my card in terms of speed?

Equivalent 9-series would be 9400gt or 9500gt(it's better but not by a huge amount). Nothing in the 200-series is as weak as the 7600gt. I'd say a 9600gt or 9800gt would be fine if you stay with Nvidia.

i ran a old 7600GTX with 1 broken compasitor for a long time til i got a 8800GTS never really gave me problems

Yeah, don't waste cash sending that card in for RMA- that is unless EVGA happens to not have any 7600GTs available and has to send you out an 8800GT or something.

Pop-pop, there goes the filtering on something. Can I have the card?

Pop-pop, there goes the filtering on something. Can I have the card?

The card appears to be a little more sick than it looks. It has never been particularly great with temps, but now when I'm playing a game it gets up to 104-106C, which is ridiculous.

These are the temps that I get when I underclock the card to 480/625 from its stock 560/700. Won't even boot into fallout three anymore unless I underclock it.

Now if I replaced the caps, do you think that perhaps the temps might get better? Or should I redo the thermal paste? I put AS5 on it like... eons ago. What is the life on that stuff?

I'm not ready to give up yet, I don't want to build another computer till christmas and I don't feel like upgrading just the card...

Also looks like I might be screwed for rma, I don't have the box and the sticker with my part number is no longer on my card.

Last edited:
Replacing the caps may help reduce temps somewhat, but I think it's more likely due to some other components beginning to fail as well. Caps generally are used to filter (buffer) power and thus can have an effect on efficiency and performance.

These caps appear to be through-hole, and should be relatively easy to replace.

nope not exactly, it depends on the model that he bought. mine only came with 1 year warranty, says so on the box. it gets boosted to 2 years if registered within 30 days. the more expensive 7600GTs came with lifetime.

Limited Lifetime:
The EVGA limited lifetime warranty is only eligible for part numbers ending in:
-A1, -A2, -A3, -A4, -AR, -AX, -CR, -CX, -DX, -FR, -FX, -SG, -SX. (with product registration)

Limited 3 Year:
EVGA 3 Year limited warranty only eligible for part numbers ending in:
-K1, -KR. (with product registration)

Limited 2 Year:
EVGA 2 Year limited warranty only eligible for part numbers ending in:
-LA, -LE, -LR, -LX, -T1, -TR, -TX. (with product registration)

i say just find some capacitors from old or broken down motherboards and replace the ones on the card as long as the ratings are within ballpark. since you dont have the sticker anymore, which i'm assuming also had the serial number, you can try to see if anyone at their support email can do anything about it.

Decided to try something different and bought some overpriced thermal compound at best buy since I was not confident that the paste I put on the card about three years ago or so was any good. Lowered the temps significantly, running at about mid eighties in fallout three instead of over 100 C. I also switched from using ATITool to monitor my card to the precision application by evga, which is actually dealing with fan control a lot better which is great.

The thing I'm dealing with now is just poor performance in CS:S. It would seem like the controls just leap away from me and take on a mind of their own.

But really, it would seem that I am getting extreme control lag every ten or fifteen seconds or so, maybe up to thirty seconds apart. Makes the game impossible to play. Not sure if this is a graphical issue though, because I am getting great framerates. It really is impossible to tell exactly what the problem might be, unless someone else has experience?

Also, I don't think I registered within the thirty days because I didn't think about stuff like that three years ago, haha. I think I was just a one year warranty card anyways :(

The card appears to be a little more sick than it looks. It has never been particularly great with temps, but now when I'm playing a game it gets up to 104-106C, which is ridiculous.

These are the temps that I get when I underclock the card to 480/625 from its stock 560/700. Won't even boot into fallout three anymore unless I underclock it.

Now if I replaced the caps, do you think that perhaps the temps might get better? Or should I redo the thermal paste? I put AS5 on it like... eons ago. What is the life on that stuff?

I have a feeling that you may be reversing your cause and effect with the burst caps. I feel it more likely that your growing temperature problem may have affected the caps in the first place, and whatever your original (temp related) problem is is simply getting worse.

Clean the cooler, replace TIM, check the fan operation. My 7600GT had a one speed fan. If you were in 3D mode it was on. If you don't clearly hear it, it may simply be broken.

I have a feeling that you may be reversing your cause and effect with the burst caps. I feel it more likely that your growing temperature problem may have affected the caps in the first place, and whatever your original (temp related) problem is is simply getting worse.

Clean the cooler, replace TIM, check the fan operation. My 7600GT had a one speed fan. If you were in 3D mode it was on. If you don't clearly hear it, it may simply be broken.

The fan on my card actually scales, so it runs at about thirty percent most of the time and then I think it gets up to one hundred percent while I'm in game. This precision program by EVGA is doing a much better job than ATITool.

Temps on the card are back down, but it still lags in games. Not sure what to do now

You are worrying way to much about this card. When it dies toss it. Buy another one for $15-25 instead of trying to rma/fix/worry. You could get a decent upgrade for cheap.

You are worrying way to much about this card. When it dies toss it. Buy another one for $15-25 instead of trying to rma/fix/worry. You could get a decent upgrade for cheap.

The geek thing is to attempt to fix it, of course ;)

*huggles her collection of antiquated hardware she can't get herself to toss*

The geek thing is to attempt to fix it, of course ;)

*huggles her collection of antiquated hardware she can't get herself to toss*

I'd also fix it just because.

The first thing I noticed is that those looked awfully like the 8 or so burst caps I just replaced on a motherboard a couple months ago that turned out were very low quality and notorious for bursting. They're made by Sacon and from what I've read, even if they haven't burst yet, they're still mostly likely gone bad after a couple of years.

I'd also fix it just because.

The first thing I noticed is that those looked awfully like the 8 or so burst caps I just replaced on a motherboard a couple months ago that turned out were very low quality and notorious for bursting. They're made by Sacon and from what I've read, even if they haven't burst yet, they're still mostly likely gone bad after a couple of years.

It's a great way to practice your (de)soldering skills, yeah :) I still have a couple of (K7/P4) mainboards I need to replace caps on, just waiting for some spare cash :)

It's not that I really want to keep this card. I just don't want to upgrade the video card without upgrading the entire computer because I know for a fact that my machine is ancient in terms of gaming hardware.

You all say that I can get another card for ten to fifteen bucks. Could you recommend where? ebay is not really my first choice when it comes to computer hardware.

Another thing I've been thinking about is what I would buy to replace the card and keep when I upgrade my computer around christmas time. I was thinking perhaps a 9600GT or so. But... I would feel silly keeping that in my current computer lol.

It's not that I really want to keep this card. I just don't want to upgrade the video card without upgrading the entire computer because I know for a fact that my machine is ancient in terms of gaming hardware.

You all say that I can get another card for ten to fifteen bucks. Could you recommend where? ebay is not really my first choice when it comes to computer hardware.

Another thing I've been thinking about is what I would buy to replace the card and keep when I upgrade my computer around christmas time. I was thinking perhaps a 9600GT or so. But... I would feel silly keeping that in my current computer lol.

I don't know why you'd feel silly with it. a 9600GT isn't going to be overkill by any means for your current system. If you've made it this long with a 7600GT, then there's not reason not to think that a 9600GT won't last as long when you build a new system.

Back