Brothers in Arms: Furious Four - best game trailer ever!

Because IGN is shit: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA_gXXU21jQ"]YouTube - ‪Brothers in Arms Furious 4 E3 2011 Debut Trailer [HD]‬‏[/ame]

lol its the 4 nazi guys from the movie 21, only their nazi haters now. :p

Wow, they COMPLETELY destroyed the Brothers in Arms name with this. This is one of the worst examples of crapping on a franchise I have ever seen.

Wow, they COMPLETELY destroyed the Brothers in Arms name with this. This is one of the worst examples of crapping on a franchise I have ever seen.

I was going to type almost the exact same thing....Brothers in Arms was great because they tried to tell a reason story with the characters...this looks like complete stupid shit.

Hope the game is good.

For some reason I've never REALLY been able to get into the BIA games. I should try and revisit them sometime.

WTF :confused:

I'm a huge fan of BIA and this looks nothing like BIA to me. Looks more like TF2 meets world war 2.

I'm not saying this idea of a WWII shooter is bad, but the bad part is taking Brothers In Arms franchise and slapping in on a completely different game. Its worse than Soldier of Fortune Payback. Just call it Furious 4 and it would be fine.

Gearbox must have gone completely retarded to use BIA name here.

I don't believe in pissing around with the subject matter of WWII. If you are going to make a game and profit from an event that cost millions and millions of lives over five-six years, you should at least treat it with some respect. I didn't like the Tarantino movie for the same reason. The Wolfensteins were borderline but since their scope was limited to fictional Nazi-controlled demons and the like and didn't touch a lot on the actual war, it was acceptable.

Its worse than Soldier of Fortune Payback

Slow down now. I don't think it's going to be THAT bad. ;)

I don't believe in pissing around with the subject matter of WWII. If you are going to make a game and profit from an event that cost millions and millions of lives over five-six years, you should at least treat it with some respect. I didn't like the Tarantino movie for the same reason. The Wolfensteins were borderline but since their scope was limited to fictional Nazi-controlled demons and the like and didn't touch a lot on the actual war, it was acceptable.

Agreed.

..... psssst..... Inglorious Bastards, *hint hint*........
First thing I thought of as well. It's like they watched the movie and immediately thought "hey, let's milk this!" The movie was alright I guess; my feelings are meh with this game.

People are calling it "Inglorious Borderlands". 4 characters, with co-op and their own special skills each. They level up to get new skills too.

Slow down now. I don't think it's going to be THAT bad. ;)

Well, I'm not implying the gameplay is that bad. But rather, the misuse of a game franchise. Its like taking the Halo franchise and make a Hello Kitty game out of it.

First thing I though of when I watched It was Team Fortress 2

also I should not be called BIA

Well, I'm not implying the gameplay is that bad. But rather, the misuse of a game franchise.

Ok, I can go with that.

I think the only reason the name "Brothers in Arms" is getting used on this is for the name recognition because if they just called it "Furious Four" people would either be looking for Vin Diesel and race cars or they just wouldn't give a damn.

People are calling it "Inglorious Borderlands". 4 characters, with co-op and their own special skills each. They level up to get new skills too.

That actually would be a good game if that's how it ends up.

Killing Nazi's? Boy that's a fresh idea if I ever saw one.

Modern Warfare? Boy that's a fresh idea if I ever saw one.

In this day and age the only real unique shooters are things like Singularity, Bulletstorm, Serious Sam. The rest is either the same recycled modern warfare mumbo jumbo or historical wars revisited.

Modern Warfare? Boy that's a fresh idea if I ever saw one.

In this day and age the only real unique shooters are things like Singularity, Bulletstorm, Serious Sam. The rest is either the same recycled modern warfare mumbo jumbo or historical wars revisited.

Ahh, so we agree. This game looks like crap.

Ask me questions, I sat in a private alpha screening for Aliens CM at E3 :D

Does it suck or does it have potential? What can you compare it to?

I'm guessing you're under NDA? Hell, whatever you can tell us we'd all appreciate. :)

What the hell does a guy name Crockett (we talkin' Tennessee?) have to do with Texas!!!? j/k Too bad its an Ubisoft game.

Does it suck or does it have potential? What can you compare it to?

I'm guessing you're under NDA? Hell, whatever you can tell us we'd all appreciate. :)

Ok, no NDA actually. Let me get a few things out of the way..

1. My favorite movie is Aliens (1986)
2. I went into the preview praying to the gods that Aliens CM would be good.

My initial reactions were that the guy doing the presentation was gittery and wouldn't shut up. I"m not here to listen to you babble about how Gearbox wants to be true to the film, we know that dude. Show me the game! The good thing was Gearbox is doing everything they can to make Aliens CM feel like the true sequel to the 1986 film, something fans have never had before... this is good. After 5 minutes of babbling, gameplay ensues.

***SPOILER ALERT*** (fairly safe as I think this was the intro level to the game)

The bits we saw seemed to start shortly after the reactor explosion on LV426. Marine commander talking to his squad, talking to representatives from the Weyland corporation. They see reports that the Sulaco had a fire and that an escape vessel was ejected. There are logged reports of Ripley being last to log data. The corporation wants answers as to what happened on LV426, the explosion and the status of the Sulaco. Space marine team is dispatched.. in a sister ship to the Sulaco, called the Sephora.

**next part seemed sped up to save time**

Marine team enters Sulaco, something goes wrong and they barely make it out of the ship in a dropship as the Sulaco (and or Sephora) explode mid flight in space. The Sulaco/Sephora plummets bow first into LV426 (a la Star Wars, Star Destroyers) and the Marine squad is abandoned, in shambles on the planet after the dropship successfully lands on the planet.

**Footage ends, gameplay begins**

You are a marine, first person view. You are in what appears to be whats left of Hadley's Hope. Wreckage all around, and you're with 3 other marines. Goal? Find your squad. Starting gun? Something crap. You and your squad of ultimate badasses make your way through the steel jungle that once was Hadley's hope.

*Everything about the environment screams Aliens, the lighting the grainy effect the armor the audio effects... Gearbox did their homework.

There is a brief encounter with some xenomorph where your small team fights off about 5 or 6 bugs as they crawl from the ceiling ... just like the 2nd battle encounter from the film. You get knocked out of a window by the last xenomorph and just before you get killed a marine blasts it. You are now outside. You make your way through the rubble when all of a sudden you encounter some new kind of xenomoph.. its big and has a huge armored head.. like bull or oxen or something. It chases you and you barely escape under a closing hatch where your entire squad is calling to you.

In here, you see the entire squad. You mount up with a M41A pulse rifle and some nades. You are tasked with helping squad mates setup turrents in a lower floor. Once there you setup turrets just as xenomorph hit the hall. You and the sentrys blast the buggers.. before the perimeter is breached and xenomorph get in from all over. Chaos ensues.. your entire squad is out of sync, overrun and fighting by itself. Your commander calls to you to follow him, and you run out of the building as you watch your squadmates get killed by xenomorph left and right.

About 4 or 5 of you survive and hunker into a loading bay. Here, there are more M41A pulse rifle and the infamous yellow loader. Stay frosty marine! Seconds later xenomorph break in and you start to defend yourself when the main bay door breaks open and in bursts the Queen. She is about to kill you when .... *to be continued...

That was the demo, the room of about 30 people stood to their feet and applauded what seemed like an adrenaline rushed REAL sequel to the 1986 film.

Good right? Right, but because I'm level headed I have to admit there were some things that concerned me that I hope are fleshed out better in the final game.

1. In the 10 minute demo, I had Alien lore crammed down my throat.. dare I say too much? I saw the Sulaco, the dropship, LV426, Hadley's Hope, M41A pulse rifles, Marines, Sentry guns, Yellow Loader, xenomorph, their queen and action scenes that looked right out of the movie, done over again. Too much to see I felt, and it felt pushed on me.
2. Scripted gameplay. This was a BIG concern of mine. The entire 10 minute gameplay demo was very Call of Duty. In that, I mean the gameplay was very.. very scripted. Events happened, left you somewhere and another event was triggered which send you down pre-determined paths to a place where more scripted events would take place. This concerns me because I want replayability, something the Call of Duty series lacks in SP.

I'm hoping the scripted events were mainly for the intro, beginning area and things slow down going forward. I also hope that Gearbox slows down the pace of how they toss the lore at you. Lure me, bait me, tease me and give me an M56 Smart Gun later in the game. Overall everything I saw got me VERY excited to play the game next year, but my concerns are very valid and I have a gut feeling this game may play more like a Call of Duty game in an Aliens skin, than anything else.

The gameplay was tight precise and very twitch. This is by no means a slow, tactile shooter. I liked what I saw but hope Gearbox's paces the game better. I think they crammed a lot of lore into the demo to get people excited but I felt it was waaaay too much in that short of a timespan.

***END SPOILER***

Great demo, true to the lore, made an Aliens fan excited. It had some issues i felt, but with a year of development left I think everything will end up a-ok.

Confirmed, Unreal 3.

edit. I did get this cool shirt too! :)

IMG_20110614_110017.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, no NDA actually. Let me get a few things out of the way.......

That was a pretty decent play-by-play, thanks.

I was hoping the start of the game would have a little more buildup like the movies /avp games. Let the marine get a sense of the area, but don't swarm you with bugs right off the bat. Just show shadows and quick motion movement, letting the player only speculate what is going down. I love that errie calm before the storm.

I think the first alien movie and the first half of the second film captured this perfectly. Sometimes it's what you DON'T see that scares the shit out of you.

Edit: I apologise if i'm derailing this thread, but I <3 the aliens universe :p

Gah. I just wanted to show the trailer! :( This thread has derailed so much. Notice how I didn't mention graphics, gameplay, etc.

You guys are all too super cereal. Thread fail.

EDIT: Oh look, I've been here for 10 years now.

That was a pretty decent play-by-play, thanks.

I was hoping the start of the game would have a little more buildup like the movies /avp games. Let the marine get a sense of the area, but don't swarm you with bugs right off the bat. Just show shadows and quick motion movement, letting the player only speculate what is going down. I love that errie calm before the storm.

I think the first alien movie and the first half of the second film captured this perfectly. Sometimes it's what you DON'T see that scares the shit out of you.

Edit: I apologise if i'm derailing this thread, but I <3 the aliens universe :p

I think the demo they played was chopped and sped up in parts. I felt this wasn't the real beginning to the game but 'parts' from the beginning. So I think it'll start a little slower.

BIA this is not. Should not bear that moniker and ruin the franchise.

Looks neat, but change the name!

How was that the best game trailer ever? I want my money back! :p

Hope the game is good.

For some reason I've never REALLY been able to get into the BIA games. I should try and revisit them sometime.

I tried but the A.I was so bad it ruined the games. Never would the enemy come forward and hunt you down, it would always be cover, evasive tactics. Predictable and tedious.

I tried but the A.I was so bad it ruined the games. Never would the enemy come forward and hunt you down, it would always be cover, evasive tactics. Predictable and tedious.

Basically how I felt about it.

Thanks for the breakdown, Noid! :)

I see the Inglorious Bastards and also maybe the Tremor Brothers (crazy assassins from the Smokin' Aces movie).

Gearbox shoupldn't have gave this game the BIA name, it has NOTHING to do with BIA and doesn't deserve it, they should have just named it Furious basterds.

I REALLY REALLY hop ewe get a TRUE BIA 4, one that follows where Hells Highway leflt off, because the entire series has followed the same squad over the course of the war an dbuilt up to the final game set in the Battle of the Bulge.

I want to follow those guys to the end and see how othe story ends for Matt/Red and the others, the last one built up some major changes in cahracters and it can't end like that.

The game could be fun, but it shouldn't be using the Brothers in Arms name. This is so different it should be a new IP.

Back