Browse on one IP and LAN on other?? Is this possible??

JucyTEC

Limp Gawd
I have 2 IPs assigned to a laptop,

IP1 which is LAN connection to a switch and my other computers... lets call it 1.0.0.1 as my gateway where my router is

IP2 which is my wireless Internet Connection 192.168.0.1 as my gateway

They both have internet... I want to use 192.168.x.x exclusively for internet and 1.0.x.x for my network share...

How can i achieve this??

I use firefox, and I can't find any settings that allows me to force Gateway.
Unplugging 1 and/or disabling radio is NOT an option (thats what i'm doing now and it sux)

can I route my internet packets to 192.x by changing the routing table??

Both IPs run on DHCP and setting only 1 Default gateway is ALSO NOT an option.

thanks in advance

You can unbind both the Client for Microsoft Networks, and File and Print Sharing for Microsoft Networks services...from your internet NIC...leave them bound to your internal NIC.

Windows can get a little wonky when she's multi-homed like that..but you can usually get her to settle down. Also takes significantly longer to boot up when mult homed.

May also want to adjust the adapter/service loading order...when in network properties, Advanced drop down menu..Advanced Settings...juggle which NIC loads first.

Ideally I'd want to leave the gateway entry on the LAN NIC empty. Dunno what reason you have to need it loaded..may want to try changing it to the entry you have on your WAN NIC.

Make sure the netbios over TCP/IP is radio button choice is flipped to enabled on the LAN NIC..as well as the other PCs on that LAN...in TCP/IP properties..advanced button...WINS tab.

Best to set your LAN NIC to a static setting.

You can also try lowering the metric setting on your WAN NIC.

That is kind of pointless from a performance standpoint as both the nics will still be fighting for contention at the switch.

Back