Brushed iPod with Batman Logo on obverse (Pictures!!!)

Pricing

• I would not pay extra for this mod

Votes: 26 52.0%
  • I would be willing to pay $5-$10 for a custom image

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • I would be willing to pay $11-$20 for a custom image

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • I would be willing to pay $21-$30 for a custom image

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I would be willing to pay $31-$40 for a custom image

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • I would be willing to pay $41-$50 for a custom image

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Cyb3|2 $|!c3

Limp Gawd
I recentley had many scratches in my iPod photo and needed a way to "revive" the back. What i did was make a brushed effect over the whole obverse except for the batman logo. What do you guys/girls think? Would you pay extra if you saw an iPod being sold with the logo of your choice?

Click on the thumbnails below for a supersized image:

Opinions greatly welcomed!

I think it's a really neat idea, just, from what I can see of the pictures, you need to work on the quality. Down near the bottom of the ipod it loses the smooth lined look. And the image isn't as clean cut as many would like.

But I'm just picking, and I love the idea. I voted for $11-20 dollars. I think the idea of putting a brushed affect on the iPod is really cool. The logo is a neat idea. How do you do that? Do you just cover up the section that you don't want brushed?

It's definitely a neat option though, and I think a lot of people would pay for the logo of their choice. How intricate can you make it?

That is very cool. All you need to do is work a little on the sharpness of the etching, and then I'd gladly pay for something like that(If I actually had an iPod, that is).

its looks cool, i would probably use a higher grit sandpaper though. 200 grit looks kinda cruddy (like someone went at it with a rock about 1000 times) prettu sure you could use 1600 grit and still get that effect.

Legomancer said:
The logo is a neat idea. How do you do that? Do you just cover up the section that you don't want brushed?

It's definitely a neat option though, and I think a lot of people would pay for the logo of their choice. How intricate can you make it?

To answer your question, what i did wa stake the rough side of a sponge and just went back and fourth for 3 hours. before i did this, i cut out an image from electric tape and stuck it on. The problem with putting an image such as a bat are the points. (tips of the wings and bottom point) When i would go over the image, the points were not strong enough to hold to the iPod, which is why it looks rounded. When i realized this created a rounded effect, i covered up the whole area of the image and just brushed the bottom. after i was done with that, i took off the tape at the top and made the edges finer with sandpaper. I used 280 grit because i felt that control was lost when i moved up to 120. this took me about 4-5 hours and was very tiring. I was going to brush the whole back (sides) but i just got lazy.

It's a cool idea but there's one major hitch:

You don't own the rights to the Batman logo. Warner could sue your pants off if you're thinking of doing it as a business.

Rocketpig said:
It's a cool idea but there's one major hitch:

You don't own the rights to the Batman logo. Warner could sue your pants off if you're thinking of doing it as a business.
I don tthink putting the logo on it will get me sued. What will get me sued would be if i sell these with the logo already on it. but even then there are ways around it. I think if you sell the service and not the image, you cant be sued. For example, if somebody sends me their ipod to put the oakley logo on it, they would be paying me for the service/labor, not the image.

Cyb3|2 $|!c3 said:
I don tthink putting the logo on it will get me sued. What will get me sued would be if i sell these with the logo already on it. but even then there are ways around it. I think if you sell the service and not the image, you cant be sued. For example, if somebody sends me their ipod to put the oakley logo on it, they would be paying me for the service/labor, not the image.

I'm no lawyer but I doubt that would fly. If you know something is copyrighted and do not get permission I imagine you are just as liable.

Korgun said:
I'm no lawyer but I doubt that would fly. If you know something is copyrighted and do not get permission I imagine you are just as liable.

Yep. It doesn't matter if you even know the image is copyrighted. You're supposed to do the research to find that out before you start such a project.

That's what I did. The paint, I used a can and a stencil I cut out of light sided tape, which adheres well, but it doesn't leave residue. Then I put on a coat of clearcoat over the flat black I used, and let it dry. It's important to peel the tape off before it is dry, but I was careful. It doesn't scratch off, it is very durable, and it looks legit..

ipodblue.jpg

fossill said:
That's what I did. The paint, I used a can and a stencil I cut out of light sided tape, which adheres well, but it doesn't leave residue. Then I put on a coat of clearcoat over the flat black I used, and let it dry. It's important to peel the tape off before it is dry, but I was careful. It doesn't scratch off, it is very durable, and it looks legit..

That, my friend, is sexy.

looks nice, well I messed up my ipod trying to do a brushed look, but oh well I've learned from mistakes.

I also messed up but you can just go over it again and it will look fine. What did you do wrong?

Back