Bschott's shows his cases: Tanya, Christine, and Ultimedia

bschott

n00b
I have posted three of my favorite mods here for your comments. Please leave your comments below!

These are just a few of my remodded cases. Some I have posted before but they have been reworked to the point a few have asked me to post new pics and updated information. You may notice I like the AMD +3200xp as I use it in a few of my mods. Basicly the overclocking ability and stability of this chip impresses me.

Let's begin...

Tanya was the 1997 911 Twin Turbo Porsche from the movie "Gone in 60 Seconds", and since I loved that movie, Tanya was born.

(The photos used heere have been resized from 2048x1536...my desktop size)

Dscn2331.sized.jpg

This was a $60 RC car from New Bright in 1/6th scale, repainted in colour shifing automotive paint, rewired headlights and brake lights on a switch, and added a neon tube license plate holder underneath for that 'ground effect' glow. Here is a picture before the Motherboard was installed.

Dscn2338.sized.jpg

Put a 9.5"x9.5" sheet of Aluminum down as to stiffen and support the main chassis and allow support to mount the Shuttle Motherboard tray. Left the dash for looks in this shot but was later removed when the Mobo was installed

Dscn2341.sized.jpg

*Pre-mobo install* Here is a 'night' shot of this monster 1/6 scale RC car. Personally I think it looks more like a 'auto mag' shot of a real car then a 1/6th scale computer case. This was just after the Neon was installed and a few days before the Shuttle barebones came in.

DSCN2664.sized.jpg

Here is the MSI Barebones system. The Motherboard was moved around until a proper mounting position was found.

DSCN2666.sized.jpg

After the motherboard tray and HDD mounting bracket was installed. Please note the aluminum sheet below the HDD bracket which helped support the chassis from bending, sheering, and warping.

DSCN3656_001.sized.jpg

An internal view of this computer. Here you can see the Waterblock in use. The internals are lit with a Blue circular cathode tube. Sharp eyes, and those who view the picture at full resolution will see the 'sponser' decals placed along the motherboard tray.

DSCN3663.sized.jpg

Here is a 'night' shot of Tanya. Notice the LCD..that is an CD/MP3/DVD/AM/FM radio which is built into/with the motherboard.

DSCN3664.sized.jpg

Here is a closeup of the LCD and internals.

DSCN3671.sized.jpg

Sharp eyes can see the circular blue cathode tube attached to the 'ceiling' of the car.

DSCN3673.sized.jpg

Just a little 'eye candy' for the exterior.

DSCN3675.sized.jpg

I know it's ugly...but when I can afford that rack mount case, I will clean up this wireing. I also have been thinking of building a wood base from an expensive wood of some nature, staining it and adding a brass 'plaque' that would make this look more like one of those 'Sanford Press' collectors models, with the wiring being completely hidden. Until then, this is what I have.

DSCN3677.sized.jpg

Twin Turbo? Try twin vent fans running on 'turbo' hehe. The switch to the side is for the internal cathodes.

DSCN3678.sized.jpg

A closeup of the rear vents, the DMS logo, and allowing you to see the internals from a different angle. Specs are a MSI 651Barebones system, Intel P4 2.8Ghz, 512MB PC3200 RAM, 40GB HDD and An Aquarius II Watercooling unit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am a pc nut but I also love cars, classics to the imports to the exotics... Well after sitting at home one night I came accross the movie 'Christine' on one of the cable channels. During the movie I had a mindblast. Wouldn't it be nuts to have a computer case in the shape of a car front-end?

So was born Christine...One of my personal gaming PCs.

I started out with this. (True geeks will remember this as the original dual 5 1/4 floppy IBM PC) You can see I was thinking maybe to try out a 'Hot Rod' with flames but decided against the idea...
DSCN2066.JPG

Well after I had a base case I started to get to work with a friend Dave at the basic metel working. Dave does classic car restorations... and since I am a noob with welding, he helped out with that. Some basic metel work, getting the grill fitted (which btw is from a 1960's studabaker hawk), and the headlights installed (which work btw!) I had this....
DSCN2072.JPG

After getting that basic metel work done (basicly ripping off the front and welding the sheetmetal extentions) I started stripping the paint with an air-driven stone stripper and it was decided a WORKING HOOD was to be included, so.... I got out the dremal again and cut out the hood. Dave fabricated a piece of metel that would curve over and complete the hood...that was attached later. The hinges and working prop rod also were added.

To stick with the car theme, I didn't want a regular on and off switch...so...I bought and original starter for a 1968 Plymouth Fury ($30). You HAVE to have the keys to start the computer...just like a real car...oh you can jump start it but only if you can get to the starter. Later I ditched this ignition and found a company that was able to supply an authentic ignition from one of the cars used in the movie "Christine".
DSCN2105.JPG

56 hours later I had my completed Car/computer mod....well almost. A car nut can never actually say they are done working on their cars...right?

These are four LAZER L.E.D.s that were modified and re-mounted to fit this application. To save on the lights and my eye sight, I have attached these to an on/off switch. In person the effect is astounding and quite blinding. Pictures can not do this any justice.
DSCN3182.sized.jpg

As shot from the rear, you can see the brake lights I have installed. These are also on an on/off switch for those times when I am not publicly showing her. They flash to hard drive activity although I have it rigged to a three-way switch allowing off/on/ and hard drive activity.
DSCN3183.sized.jpg

Those with sharp eyes will note the wall being illumianated by the healights. That wall is 10-12 feet away.

DSCN3185.sized.jpg

DSCN3186.sized.jpg

DSCN3189.sized.jpg

I have taken a rear view picture for those who asked to see how we had mounted the Power suppy, and the ignition. Sharp eyes will pick out the switchs for the headlights and brake lights and a circuit board mounted below the power supply.

Also before you ask, that circuit board is the internal 'guts' of an actual, fully working car alarm. Yes, I have a remote for the alarm. Yes, the system does not have to be on for the alarm to work. Yes, I have it set to a 'shock activiated' mode. If you lift the hood, it will also sound the alarm. Yes, it is loud as hell, but fun to play jokes on with unsuspecting people!

DSCN3192.sized.jpg

DSCN3194.sized.jpg

Two interior shots.
AMD +3200XP @ 3.0GHz stable
Thermaltake AQUARIUS-II Liquid Cooling Kit
3GBs DDR400 Kingston RAM(heat spreaders used)
80GB Barracuda HDD
ASUS A7N8X-Deluxe nForce2 ver 2.0
Creative DVD-RW
ATI Radeon 9600XT
Viper Automotive Alarm System
Labtec 6.1 Surround Sound (The Painted speakers are mainly for show. they work but I want Full surround when I play NWN, Desert Combat, or I am watching a movie or listening to music)

http://images.gruntville.com/casegallery/albums/albup36/tech_tv.wmv

The highlight (well one of them) of owning Christine was being featured on Tech TV's series, "The Screen Savers" Here is that clip for those who wished for it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The original Ultimedia PC was ripped apart and redone. I have added a more powerful CPU, Video Card, RAM, HDDs, and overall mods.

DSCN3094.sized.jpg

For those interested, I will start off first with the front bays which are filled with a NewQ 5.1 Digital Surround Sound Receiver and FM radio, a Coolermaster Aerogate II, a Coolermaster Muskeetter, a Stealthed DVD-RW drive, switchs for 2 of the 6 Cold cathodes used in this mod, and finally a 4" LCD Display often used in Automotive entertainment applications. Also visable is the side window I designed and cut, with the specially ordered 70% tint Plexi. "Evil Inside" most definately!

DSCN3097.sized.jpg

Ok, to the internals:
First, the original mod did not have wire management and that torqued me something awful so to clean it up I used chromed wire "loom" to bundle up the wires, black velvet to hide the screw holes and screws holding the bay drives in (not to mention, I added velvet to the bottom of the case to help keep the 'classy' look going), four blue cold cathodes (which are off in this picture), and chrome stripping to highlight the velvet.

New specs are MSI K7 Mobo, Athlon +3200XP @ 3GHz, 1 GB DDR 400, 80GB Primary and 200GB Secondry HDD, Radeon 9600xt, Soundblaster Audigy2, a specialty PCI TV tuner/AV Recorder card, and finally a 'Viperblu' 480Watt PSU.

DSCN3098.sized.jpg

Notice the 'Elite' Case badge? This was just a little joke between friends back in highschool that was given if you could hack into the school's database and change the System Admin's password, then make a directory for which you we would add wave files to replace the windows start sound on all the computers. (The admin had a wave file on the network that would say 'Welcome to (name) Highschool's Computer Lab', I changed it to a clip of Meg Ryan at the lobster dinner in the movie 'When Harry Met Sally'...great laughs where had when the first period typing class all logged in at the same time (which I was in!))

I have kept this badge and mounted it in each case I have owned which I use for MP3 or Multimedia storage. Also this pic shows a close up of the black velvet and chrome trim used.

Why this is called Project 'Ultimedia' is all the multimedia options available in this computer. The Audigy2, NewQ 5.1 receiver/FM radio, The coolermaster muskeetter, a 4" LCD moniter built-in to the front, 80GB of MP3's, DVD-RW, and a TV tuner all hooked up to a 5.1 Logitec speaker system. This is basicly my home entertainment system.

DSCN3099.sized.jpg

This view is to show how I have mounted 2 of the 4 Blue cathodes on this side of the case... One mounted on the bottom, one on each side, and one to the top of the case. When all of them are turned on, the reason for 70% tint on the window is evident. Sharp eyes will see the 60mm Xeon Processor fan I use for venting warm air out of the case. I used 2 UV cathodes on the other side to illuminate a specially ordered pane.

DSCN3103.sized.jpg

I wanted something new, and everyone seems to just barely do ANYTHING with this side of their case. So, I cut a LARGE window into this side. The Dragon window is from SunBrite, designed for their own plexi cases, but I was able to mod it for this application. It is uv reactive plexi, and for that, I have added two UV cathodes to this side of the case. The Black Velvet is used here again to accent the dragon and give a nice 'darkness' when the UVs are activated. I use two 80mm clear crystal fans to extract air away from the hardrives. They are also UV LED lit.

DSCN3104.sized.jpg

A shot showing all 4 cathodes in use in a bright 'daylight' setting. I used 70% tinted plexi not only for dimming down the light from 4 cathodes but also to dim down light entering the case from the outside. What this allows is the ability to see the cathodes' effect even in the daylight, but yet not be blinded in a dark enviorment by that excess light.

DSCN3105.sized.jpg

This shows you the working cathodes. Also not the 80mm fan used to cool the 3200xp. I have that lit with a dual UV light to bring out the Green fan. An 80mm to 60mm funnel converter is used to mount the fan.

DSCN3108.sized.jpg

Finally, a shot of my 4" LCD monitor/display. This serves as a secondary display, often as a 'mini TV' when the computer is in use. The front USB and audio jacks have been removed to install switchs for the LCD and cathodes.

I hoped you enjoyed view it as much as I had fun re-building it.

They look good. I especially like the first two. You should put a 12-14" LCD where the windshield is on the second one, I think that would look :cool: (although slightly out of proportion, but still cool)

Thanks guys! I appreciate the comments!

Yes I was thinking of replacing that windsheild on Christine with an LCD, but money is tight at the moment ::roll:: You know how it is.

What is the brand name of the 4 inch LCD monitor in the Ultimedia PC. Been looking for one and have been none too successful. Let me know what you can.....thanks. Rudy
[email protected]

I love that Christine, you should enter that into maximum PC's modding contest.....

Awesome work. Hope I can finish my mod before the winter hits here in Maryland :(

Awesome! I love Christine. That starter for the power on is genius. it would look good with a tachometer mod. Can you give instructions on how to mod the ignition unit to the power?

I love it! It must look great with the cathodes and the NewQ going. I've been looking for a NewQ for ages.

3GB of ram on that 2nd machine? dammnnn...your stable at 3ghz with just watercooling? nice....:drool:

Very nice, but Christine is just plain badass. I think the windshield takes away from it though for some reason. Still looks great, but without the windshield I think it would flow a lot better.

WOW... really nice work

that is amazing... i wish my work was like that... i did several mods nd i m gonna put it on a geocities website but i m still figuring that out

i think you should have a site to display the mods

DRJ1014 said:
thumbs up im giving him thumbs up to his mods.
OOOH, i didnt see the thumbs cus my eyes were distracted by the blue, yellow, white and red tuxedos

Back