BSOD after vista SP2

leetskeet

Limp Gawd
anyone else getting random blue screens after installing sp2?. before installing i cant even remember the last bsod i got. every time the error is "win32k.sys". i havent put any new hardware and keep all my drivers up to date. any idea what the problem could be? :mad:

I got one yesterday while I was fixing someone machine (It was a complete state and after I sorted it out found out it was pre-SP1)
After I got to SP2 I had a BSOD just after the reboot but then it was ok - That could have been due to gfx drivers got pulled in as well during the update

but none after that

its so damn annoying cause it never happens when you'd expect a bsod. i oc my video card when i play games and nothing. but god forbid i close firefox or leave a podcast playing...bam BSOD.

they're too random to try that...it can go a few days in between or it can be 5 in a few hours...what i'm wondering if theres anything i can do since it started when i installed sp2

edit: google was my friend and i uninstalled sp2. hopefully this crap will stop.

Last edited:
Reverting to stock clocks should be your FIRST troubleshooting procedure. Memtest and hard drive diagnostics your second troubleshooting procedure. A fresh install your third troubleshooting procedure.

Random errors of the type you describe are usually memory errors, hard drive errors or (sometimes) an indication of an inadequate PSU. Don't discount the fact that, just because your OC was humming along fine previously that it's gonna keep on doing so foreverafter. Environment variables impact on that. It's getting awfully bloody cold around here of late, and you're in the northern hemisphere. Thermal past degrades over time too. How long since you last redid it?

Just because you first noticed the behaviour after the service pack was installed doesn't necessarily mean that the service pack caused it.

Could also just be the end-result of running some crappy software program. Any freebies or downloaded apps you've installed and started using of late (or started using more frequently than previously?)

Vista SP2 is really buggy IMO. I had issues where it would get past the loading screen and blank out before the welcome screen. In my experience, I had to revert back to SP1.

Back