BSOD from ati2dvag

Major_A

[H]ard|Gawd
Why would my video card driver be causing me to crash? I currently have my A64 3000+ at 2300Mhz running fine (255X9 4XHTT AGP/PCI locked). Any time I try pushing farther I get a BSOD because of this damn ati2dvag. Any thoughts or ideas?

Well the love Hate relationship continues....There are very few things more frustrating then having a computer problem that there is no clear cut absolute
fix to it.And very few things more satisfying then fixing what you were sure was to be a "Toss the old and get a new" solution.
That said this problem with "ati2dvag bsod"(or simarlair graphics driver problems) is that kind of problem
Well heres what worked for me.
First,
Right click-mouse over My Computer
Properties
Hardware(Tab)
Device Manager(button)
Click [+] next to System devices
right-mouse on CPU to AGP Controller (or whatever your controller is called, mine was SiS AGP)
Update Driver(button)
Select Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)
Next(button)
Select Don't search. I will choose the driver to install.
Next(button)
Select PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
Next(button)
Finish(button)
Reboot.
Then uninstall the drivers and control panel,restart go into safe mode use DriverCleaner(download here http://www.drivercleaner.net) then do a file search "ati*.*" and remove all of them,then go into the registry use RegCleaner(small free app dowload here, http://www.worldstart.com/weekly-download/archives/reg-cleaner4.3.htm) and delete all entries pertaining to ati there.Restart in normal mode,stop windows Hardware installer from running,then stop all running programs,and install the latest stable approved drivers for your grahics card,after install do not restart go back into System Info/HardWare/DeviceManager/ System Devices,undo what you had changed in there (which was now PCI bridge standard PCI to PCI Bridge) right clicked that update driver then chose "Via CPU to AGP2.0/AGP3.0 Controller"(Or the best controller for your chipset) install that then restart.Durring restart go into the Bios make sure all Fast writes,reads are disabled and appature size is equal to the memmoy on your card(or 64mb as some boards opperate best at this setting) ,save and exit.Once Windows loads,go into Display/Settings fix your resolution, then got into /Advanced/Troubleshooting check to make sure hardware excel is maxed out,and Write combining is checked,then go to VPU Recover Tab and check that it is active leave it that way.
I have had no problems since (its been months)and have performed this fix on others computers with the same problem so I'm sure it well work for you if you are thorough enough to remove all remnants of the old drivers and get a clean fresh install(this is the key!).
PS:There is also a Patch from VIA downloadable here: http://downloads.viaarena.com/drivers/others/Test_driver1.zip(but if there is still driver corruption that must be resolved)

Thanks for the reply but I figured out my AGP lock breaks on my board at 255. On top of that the 9800 Pro I had at the time died. Thanks for taking the time though.

Back