BSOD on boot, no safe mode

Swordfish45

Limp Gawd
I gave my buddie's computer a major overhaul, i replaced the mobo, cpu, vid card and memory.

When i boot up, it passes the POST,-->

Norton GoBack starts with the prompt "press spacebar to use norton goback",-->

I then see the faintest glint of the Windows loading screen..-->

but right after that, i see the faintest glint of the BSOD-->

Then the computer reboots--^

No other mode of windows works, memtest shows good ram, Knoppix loads without problem, so im ruling out the cpu and mobo as well. Tried different vid cards and keyboards, so im ruling out hardware.

My first order of buisness is to try to replace whatever corrupted file is causing windows to crash. or just repair the installation from the XPpro disk

If i cant figure that out, ill do a fresh install.

Any suggestions?

If you didn't do anything to prepare the os for a major hardware transplant, such as sysprep, you'll likely find the best solution is a fresh install, which in my opinion is the best option.
I always prefer a nice clean install on a "new" machine.

Well thanks for telling me about sysprep. I never heard about it before. Before a reinstall, ill try chkdsk /r and see what that does. Thanks

If I read the post correctly you are trying to boot the old OS after an overhaul on the hardware (?). If you changed major hardware components the hardware should be enumerated under a new installation. In some cases what seem to be identical components have had changes in hardware revisions or different processor steppings. If you are using newer components then a new install is the only way to go unless you are familiar with tools like sysprep.

You can get away with a new video card or memory....but ...

-john r.

im going from a socket 462 to socket AM2. That's a few steppings appart...

So i guess im changing my plan. Is there any way to just reinstall windows and overwrite the system files without changing all the personal files?

Can i just reinstall the os in that partition? Or will that erase everything.

His old parts still work fine, so i am backing up all his stuff. Get this: 80 gigs through a usb 1.1 port. WTF? All the other hd's i have are sata.

However, i suspect the mobo:

1 it was cheap
2 it makes a squealing noise when the psu is on

Back